Supercharging AND Turbocharging

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Thomas I think either compounding (serial) or parallel operation could work fine depending on how you choose your hardware.

The compound method depends on good wastegate control, and a big turbine with a large A/R, but not necessarily a big compressor (if this is going to be a street setup). For someone who wants really stupid power at huge boost levels, then a big turbine AND a big compressor should be the ticket.

If you look at big stationary engines they have turbos with relatively small compressors that produce only a medium amount of boost (around 1 bar) at full load, but they have huge turbine sections so they won't introduce a lot of back pressure in the exhaust. Lag or spool time isn't really an issue because these engines (for generators) run at a fixed RPM, and are usually at least 50% loaded all the time. These turbos don't start making any boost until the engine hits 40-50% power.

So IMO, the best compound setup for the street would keep the ratios short in both stages to achieve whatever final ratio you wanted.

It would be really interesting to plumb the wastegate first for final stage pressure control, and then perhaps interstage pressure control (to limit the turbo only) to see which would work best.

I think the parallel setup as you described would work too, but it would require more plumbing and controls, and would require the SC to run inverted as Wayne said, so you'd have access to both the inlet and discharge.

Justen, with a 2 stage reciprocating gas compressor a common configuration is a 10" (diameter) first stage cylinder with an 8" second stage cylinder. Both have the same 6" or 7" stroke, but very different displacements due to the diameters, and the smaller displacement cylinder doesn't restrict the larger one, although the interstage pressure has to be monitored to be sure the ratio doesn't get too short or too long. One of the secrets to making these different capacity cylinders play well together are VE adjusting devices called variable volume clearance pockets. By adjusting these, it's possible to keep the each stage's compression ratio happy.

Likewise, for this compound application, I think if the sizing of the SC and turbo were done according to the parameters already set forth, and the interstage pressure ratio controlled by the wastegate, it should work fine.

I think either of these setups would be fascinating to setup and tune. I wish I could afford to build an engine test cell - these days I'd get a bigger kick out of testing the motors than driving the cars...

Yeah i'm only thinking of this as a dual setup cribbj not compound. If i went compound it would be with x2 turbos but the dual setup is just to fill the low end 'hole' from having a BIG top end turbo.

HKS did this for the 4AGE in the Mk1 MR2 (AW11). It was a factory SC engine and HKS just added the Garrett TO4E turbo kit and the electronic smarts to tune. They also did one for the supercharged 1GG but this was even rarer and i have only seen one and it actually looked like a prototype not their finished product.

Justen,

If dual setup ( I am assuming a Y into the TB) How would the high pressure (turbo at 15 psi, and supercharger at 7 psi) be balance? High pressure will force air into the low pressure (supercharger). Would a wastegate type of valve would work. How about compound setup with a bypass. I talked to Wayne today over the phone. He is in few levels above me. Anyway, I share with him about a compound system (Turbo to Intercooler to SC to TB) I proposed that an extra small pipe be link from the pre-sc to the TB to bypass any excess air to the engine. If feasable, this system woule elinimate SC restriction. What do u guys think?

Take an N/A engine, which flows 600 CFM at max rpm, what CFM will it flow with a turbo running:

5psi? 600 CFM
15psi? 600 CFM
85psi? 600 CFM

(all give or take a very small percentage)

If you don't understand why they all flow the same CFM, then you don't understand why superchargers are not a restriction for a turbo/super charger compound setup.

All this concern about a restricting SC is actually backwards, you should be concerned about the turbo being too small (especailly the turbine housing as Cribbj suggested).

Take an N/A engine, which flows 600 CFM at max rpm, what CFM will it flow with a turbo running:

5psi? 600 CFM
15psi? 600 CFM
85psi? 600 CFM

(all give or take a very small percentage)

If you don't understand why they all flow the same CFM
If you increase the pressure differential you increase the CFM.
Get a CFD program and run some simulations with different pressure differentials, CFM does increase large amounts.

I wouldn't do it that way Lex. I would have the SC feeding the turbo with a valve arrangement that opens to supply air to the turbo as it's needs exceed the flow of the SC....at some point this '2nd inlet' would be supplying all the air and the clutched SC could shut off. Have made this setup in PVC and looked sound but never got around the making a setup work.

Andrew....i agree to a point and that's what i said BUT if it was that simple then why do turbos increase the VE of inefficient heads? Put a turbo on a singlecam head and at atm you will see a power jump over the same head in n/a form from the increased flow from the turbo..... in fact if you could plot it there's a plateau of increased compressor flow with no increase in boost as the 'slack' in the engines VE is taken up by the turbo and then you start to develop boost as the turbo flow exceeds the engines capacity to take it.

I ask again, if your SC can flow the same air mass as the turbo why would you bother with the turbo ?

All interesting stuff and a tad hypothetical until Wayne's beast see's some action.

Hey all,

first @ errol, How's the reynard comming along any race results yet?

Anyway, I suppose I think from a different poit that you guy's, I am not using the SC to sit in the valey of the engine because of hood clearance problems (only got 60cm which is about sump to oil-filler) so there's no real problem for me to get twin entry's set up.

I do really think (but thats just my idea..)that you'd be better of with a parralel system, and have it work sequential instead of the compounding method, if one could fabricate a system from scratch in compound set-up it should be possible for him to get a twin entry manifold with shut valves working also, whether you choose to is is something different.
I see no need in going compounding for power in a street vehicle unless you name is scania and you howl 40 tons of food from spain to north sweden every week. (that's a whole different form of compounding btw)

justin has also got a really good point there btw if it aint broke don't fix it.

if going sequential I would more or less try and copy the 1gg and sequential supra set up, I have this feeling that toy know what they're doing so I don't think I know beter.
the nice thing about my idea (i think) is that the turbo controll is also controlling the SC's shut down, that way you eliminate one big problem, and that is the period both chargers are stufing air into the engine, they can't be both doing that for a long period unless something' s mallfunctioning.

in terms of intercooling, water to air is the only way in comounding set-up with the SC in the valley, output facing down,
the TRD units are very nice (though just eatons) but limited in terms of modification, it's a very tight package for this type of install youd probably be better of searching an m90 without the cast manifold and go from there. look at Jordy's boat engine, he's made a manifold that would easilly have an extra after-SC inlet welded in.

I'm planning on running twin parralel M62 merc SC which at my boost application .6 or .7 bar (stock comp engine) should give lower oulet temps than a single 112, they will be running on the sides of the engine low down just above the sump line, and I'll have 4 core Opcon W-A intercoolers, which are being autocad'ed now and milled in the next few weeks or so, in the valley.
That way the intercoolerstack will be 45mm high 170mm wide and 41cm long, now measure up you valley on a 1uzfe and there you go :)

problem is this all goes for a non production car so if it'll fit a ls/sc 400 i don't know.

grtz Thomas

RMS, what I am trying to convey is the swept volume in an engine does not change much at all no matter what the pressure differences are. Swept volume = CFM. Yes, you can see some CFM differences across the valve, but the engine is a pump, and at best it will sweep in/out its displacement give or take. When cumbusted air/fuel exits the SC'd engine, it will of course speed up, because the exhaust manifolds see atmospheric pressure -but then again, it's already out of the engine.

Let me try to explain this SC restriction worry one other way. If you put -anything- in front of a turbo, it will cause some sort of a restriction, engine, SC, whatever. That's why the turbo produces boost. If the supercharger, engine, whatever did not have some resctriction, there would be -no-need- for a turbo. Now, which has less restriction, an engine which has 600 CFM at redline, or a SC that has 900 CFM at redline? The SC of course. Adding a 900 CFM SC on a 600 CFM engine will never choke a turbo feeding into it.

Turboandrew,
Our terminology is the problem here.

I agree the SWEPT volume or displacement of the engine does not change, it is fixed by (bore, stroke, and no of cyls), x 1/2 rpm.

The FLOW rate (CFM or VE%) does change with pressure.
I took flow to mean volumetric flow rate.

offcourse this obvious, but I say it anyway, when you ad a turbo that is designed to put 1200cfm to your described set-up, you can feed that through the inlet of the sc making it a compound set-up but sureley intake temperatures will rocket skyhigh, due to the increase of presure. which is bad to say the least.

goal is trying to make the flattest torque curve possible (no lag and or boost multiplying once the turbo kickes in with the sc),
1: at the lowest presure ratio
2: with the lowest possible intake temperatures,
3: and the least amount of ignition retard

3 out of 3 things a compound set-up is not meant to be, hence my saying that a sequential/parralel set-up is better , even though it requires some good difficult boost controll system.

or am I talking out of my *** here? (could very well be, so please share)

grtz Thomas

If that's what you want, especially flat torque curve, I would go with just a twin screw supercharger. You can get one to support 600 HP easily, with reasonbly low intake temps. Take a look a whipple superchargers.

I would not consider a twin charge setup, whether it's sequential, compound, whatever, unless you want to make over 900 HP and you must have no lag (if you can live with lag, use turbo and call it a day).

One other thing, you can create sort of a combination of compound and parralel: Have the turbo blow through the SC, but the SC has a very simple bypass. This bypass is actually on many superchargers now, but would probably have to be a little larger (they currently use these for fuel economy during light load). The bypass just opens an air path from right before the inlet of the SC to the outlet/intake plenum (after the SC). This basically makes the supercharger spin and produce no boost (why it's used for light low/good milage), and the air at the SC inlet can go directly to the engine. This cancels out the pressure multiplication the SC would onormally provide. So, at low/mid rpm at WOT, the bypass is closed, the turbo is not producing much boost, but the SC is. At high rpm at WOT, the turbo fianlly comes in, both SC and turbo are working, then you open the bypass, and the turbo feeds directly in to the engine. The SC spins, but it does not contribute to getting air in the motor. Have the turbo wastegate reference intake manifold pressure, and you won't have any worries about boost spiking.

Hey andrew.

I allready opted for that solution, or the combi on both a few pages back,
Mercedes eatons have a very big bypass fitted outside the charger, on the clutched sc's maybe the m62 tail housing also fits the M90's of the same age.

anyway it's not my install, and 900hp wouldn't do me good (vehicle mass will be +/-800kg)

grtz Thomas

Now you're talking Andrew, that bypass idea sounds like it would do the job and probably easier to plumb and get the boost transition from SC to turbo smooth as :)

Are there any diagrames or can anyone draw a simple diagrame on how all the above setups are, with wastgates, BOV's, TC's, SC' and intercoolers all thrown in for good measure?

I can visualise the flow of air, its all the extra bits I get confused on like the WG's and BOV's etc.