Electric supercharging?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

I found this product that claims to make an approx. 40 horse power gain when installed on a stock lexus motor. It pushes air electrically at 500cfm... I believe this product is crap what do you guys think? This in made for the SC's, LS's GS's and Supra's..

They claim this is the strongest and most effective electric blower available on the market...

Here is some pic's..

That thing is liable to get sucked into the motor at full tilt. : )

Eric

Hey, take it easy skid, I mentioned I thought it was crap..... Just the advertising on this junk got me curious... I also know of some very powerful electric fans that will blow you off your feet... Of course those being much larger.. As a contractor I come across some nice machinery every now and then....

So garbage it is.......

PS - I also posted this in General Discussions, and not Air Forced Induction section, knowing all well it was not worthy....:bsflag:

Well its not all crap..just not huge HP potentials..if someone is after a "mild" boost..this is it..though the cost is a bit rich..but u pay for what u get..

I dont think that crap for $100...little over 10-12%..of orginal HP..these r like mini turbos..as u know just better air delivery and exit gives improvement..I would check with the vendor as to how genuine he is..sounds ok for that price..

Be good if someone really test one of these out,then give us the good oil,then its official..seems likeimproving the coldair intake for holdens yeilds HP increse..so get somereal fact and figures..

You don't need facts or figures to know thats its crap. You can tell instinctively by looking at it. Or by doing some very simple math.

The device will only perform 2 functions.
1) It will make your wallet lighter.
2) It will restrict your air intake, which will in turn restricts the power your engine can make.

Let's look at this rationaly.

If Ford or GM could increase the power output of an engine by even 5% for $100.00 they would.

If the thing actually worked the 1UZ would already have one.

Why do manufacturers spend a lot of money fitting expensive turbo's and supercharger to cars when these are available.

You would do better hooking the outlet of you heater to the engine.

" improve your cold start rev-ability " with the Zuffenator© Interwarmer, complete with comprehensive DIY instructions!!! Easy to install, takes just under 2 hours with a screwdriver and a pair of zip ties!!! Yours today for only $129.95!!! Let's hear from a few happy customers...!

"...yeah, i bought the interwarmer - installed it in 90mins. works a treat..."
- Rod, Sydney.

"...my car gets up to operating temp much quicker which means i can rev it quicker and make more power sooner!!!!..."
- Aaron, Perth

comprehensive and testimonial proof that the Zuffenator© actually works!!! don't wait to get beaten at the traffic light grand prix - get yours today!!!

Official Redneck Electric Supercharger

Shoot, why fool around with one of them eBay specials? Here's the real thing. The Official Redneck Supercharger, and it won't cost you a dime, 'cept if you gotta go to Home Depot for some duck tape, (but you gotta ask them for DUCT tape, 'cause them morons don't know how to spell....)

Now take that leaf blower that's been sitting in your garage for the last five years ('cause you've got better things to do than mow the grass), mount it up to your intake, plug it in and hang on. Just make sure you got a long 'stenchin cord!

For a REAL thrill, dump that puny electric model, and borrow cuzzin Bubba's gasoline powered one. Now that little puppy will give you the ride of a lifetime. Yee Haaaa!!!

p.s. For the benefit of some who may not realise it, this is a joke.

p.p.s. Hmmm, then again, the annual Darwin awards have been rather thin on innovation in recent years.

David, I've been keen to enter a good Darwin Award story for years, at someone else's expense of course.

So, if any of our members who are a few fries short of a Happy Meal care to give the gasoline powered weed whacker supercharger a go, please drop me an email in advance so I can come video your first (and probably last) 5 minutes of fame? And thanks in advance for helping to improve the IQ of this forum!

Have a Nice Day!

For those who are curious, and/or have an extremely twisted sense of humor, as I do, have a look here: http://www.darwinawards.com/

To actually have a serious discussion on the subject, I'm gonna run quickly through a long discussion I had a few years ago. The only electric motors powerful enough come from R/C electric planes.

Simply put... There are NO feasible car solutions (I don't care what "development" these guys are doing with capacitors & the like) for the power requirements to DRIVE an electric motor powerful enough.
R/C also gives us the only... Current realistic way of moving air (Tho NOT compressing it) as many 3-4-5" units are turning 35,000-45,000rpm.

Currently, the "rough" top end setups I know of are pushing around 2500-3000 watts around 80-120 amps per motor (Reportidly some using 4000-4500-5000 watts have ben done for short durations). We all know the old "It takes blah % power to drive blah supercharger". We also know that 749 watts = 1hp.
So... It aint gonna happen. Maybe 10-15 years from now... Not in the next decade will any of them become feasible.

You can even machine a little aluminum hub adapter and use two motors joined on their outputs with the fan in between them. So top that out at 6,000 watts. Still. It aint gonna happen!

Not to mention the flat out cost!?
You're looking at hundreds of dollars in motors, a hundred bucks for a fan of such size that can HANDLE the output.
A few hundred dollars in nimh, or even better Lipo batteries AND the charging equipment for them.
Atleast a hundred, or two for an ESC (Electronic Speed Controller) that can handle the current. (And there is no shortcut... You must have one)
You're looking for just a simple setup, around $1,000usd for one that would actually work.

Also... Don't get started thinking that even with the power, you could move air utilizing that power. Sure you can move it, but the name of the game is also compressing it! If you *could* move more air than the engine can injest, it's just going to go right back around the fan blades to some extent.

Then what happens when it's not working? It's weather vaning in the intake, cutting the cross section of it by more than half. Hello pressure, velocity, flow drops!
Lastly... Even if you could throw several thousand dollars at it... Don't think you can stack them in series one behind another like that dumb e-jet does. Every progressive ducted fan/turbine/anything that is set behind another works at only 15% efficiency. (115% of not enough is still not enough)
All that being said doing it this way... Could you *make* one for $1000 that would give actual horsepower? Oh yes. There is NO debating that one would not work. It's just down to three questions:

1) What does it cost
2) Does it have the raw power, rpm, and fan to work
3) Batteries

I told someone years ago. If that $30 worth of component E-ram can *actually* make a handful of horsepower, I could make 3-4x what anybody else is doing. Simply by using the *real* components of what they are trying to do.
The morals of this post:
No. Such devices that are currently being sold are not going to work in the least bit.
Yes. You could do something in a similar fashion and actually get a nice gain out of it.
Yes, the price/performance, and outright cost would be up the scale, but not as bad as some things that people do on a regular basis. I.E. headers on a Toyota v6. etc.

I hope everyone is a wee bit more informed as to what's going on & why the internet junk doesn't do anything. - Not because it *can't* do anything, but because everyone is just doing it wrong in the first place!

One more thing. While not correct - it is in practice when you're talking about trying to compress an engine with something like a fan.
Unlike a turbo, it doesn't matter if the fan is rated (even accurately) at moving xxxx cfm.

What you have to have is the ability to move the air & compress it (even a roots blower will compress the air in the way that I am takling about, if you can follow what I'm saying. Because once it's in the intake, it aint coming back OUT the supercharger)
Which is not true of a fan.

What you wind up with, is needing a sick high flow rating VS a normal blower/turbo. You're not just having to throw air in there, you have to compress it, or at the least keep it from coming back out.