Supercharging AND Turbocharging

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
The supercharger starts blowing and then the turbo starts sucking out air from the engine, so you then will get a massive air flow thru the engine at some point...I would think that would be very hard to tune and get the timing and fuel mix just right when both are functioning in combination with one another, No?... I know turbo charging and running the Nitrous in combination throws the timing for a loop. Got to have the timing retart at the right time at higher rpms when the NOS is running...Also lean mixture too is hazardous for the engine...Many factors when combining any two different systems I would think... From talks with some of the racing experts supercharging and a NOS system probably works the best together...

Any thoughts on which combinations are best to handle? I think the supercharger and NOS combination would absolutely be your best power combination if it is worked out properly.....Supercharger kicks immediately and then the NOS..... Wicked power with a big shot and charger combination....

Or twin exhaust turbo's but have one set one up for lowend and the other for topend, then you are probably getting a somewhat even boost curve thru out the entire rpm band from both turbo's.......Tuning that would be much more manageable in comparison to the SC, and TC together, no?

Anyway, I commend you guys for giving it a go!!!! Can anyone talk further about which combinations work the best together?...I am so interested in what gives you the best and most even power band curve with the least amount of tuning problems and or potential engine failure?

H-m-m-m-m I think I'll try again

John, great site and I thank you...I believe I will experiment some more with the S/C based on what I'm reading there as well as what turboandrew is saying. I appreciate the input, guys...guess I need more knowledge and more experimentation. I am open to all information and suggestions based in reasonable engineering logic. Sure appreciate the input.

Wayne

David, based on my engine build, I upgraded from the GT35 to the GT42..not sure what the A/R is, will have to look again, but I believe it is a fairly tame A/R if I remember correctly.

Wayne

The supercharger starts blowing and then the turbo starts sucking out air from the engine, so you then will get a massive air flow thru the engine at some point...I would think that would be very hard to tune and get the timing and fuel mix just right when both are functioning in combination with one another, No?... I know turbo charging and running the Nitrous in combination throws the timing for a loop. Got to have the timing retart at the right time at higher rpms when the NOS is running...Also lean mixture too is hazardous for the engine...Many factors when combining any two different systems I would think... From talks with some of the racing experts supercharging and a NOS system probably works the best together...

Any thoughts on which combinations are best to handle? I think the supercharger and NOS combination would absolutely be your best power combination if it is worked out properly.....Supercharger kicks immediately and then the NOS..... Wicked power with a big shot and charger combination....

Or twin exhaust turbo's but have one set one up for lowend and the other for topend, then you are probably getting a somewhat even boost curve thru out the entire rpm band from both turbo's.......Tuning that would be much more manageable in comparison to the SC, and TC together, no?

Anyway, I commend you guys for giving it a go!!!! Can anyone talk further about which combinations work the best together?...I am so interested in what gives you the best and most even power band curve with the least amount of tuning problems and or potential engine failure?

Jibby, the KISS principle i say. We have enough displace that combined with a decent comp ratio off boost perf is already pretty good. A well sorted turbo setup (single or TT) or a well sized positive displacement SC will make a good flat torque curve....picking the right gearing is more important in making it all work for your needs, vehicle weight etc.

With my TT i have more than enough low end response and struggle with traction as it is...even if i could get more i couldn't use it :)

Attachments

• Lexus-1.JPG
    Lexus-1.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 19
  • SOARERSCHARGERB.JPG
    SOARERSCHARGERB.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 30
JustenGT8 I concure with you....So then what possible advantage can be gained from doing a different combo boost application like an SC and TC? Maybe just to say that you did it and maybe that it is very unique?

I agree with you 100% that gearing, traction, and car weight are just as important if not more important then the horsepower and torque output in these boosted cars..... That is the reason I was kinda off topic and mentioned drivetrain setups in my above post...

Anyway, vantastic thread to say the least....

Jibby, you are a perceptive man....I started out doing the 'many-charging' thing because, in my ignorance, I thought it would be cool, I had most of the stuff to do it with, and putting together my motor at 8.6:1, I needed some bottom end oomph to get my 5200 lb sled moving. It evolved into a "wow" factor thing that was and is a rarity. I still hope to make it work based on what I'm learning from you folks, so will continue to tilt this windmill....KISS principle got lost in the shuffle somewhere a while back :eek:)

Wayne

Go for it Wayne; the wow factor is worth having, especially if you can make it work!

The hotrodding world is too full of ho-hum, bolt on mods; we need more unique stuff like you're doing.

Thanks for the encouragement, John. I agree and will continue to tilt..:eek:) I may need to pick your brain from time to time to keep me from getting too far afield....

Wayne

Have a look at this thread over on the engineering forum: http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=174690&page=1 ; you might consider joining and contacting member Warpspeed by PM and discussing your problem. He's pretty switched on about twin-charging :boggled:

Wow, I mean wow, what an incredible thread, one of the most interesting reads I had since researching everything I have researched so far, incredibly informative.

If anyone else hasn't already who is interested in the topic of TC&SC (twincharging) then go have a read of that thread, all of it and I mean all of it.

Wayne, have you had a read? It may well help you out greatly to get your setup working in the end and definitely see if you can have a chat with the Warpspeed chap, he may well be your savour!

Benji, what you're describing is the way the sequential twin turbo Supra is setup, and it's done with a combination of a one way reed valve and an intake control valve for the #2 turbo to put it in parallel with the #1. There's a schematic of this setup here: http://www.lextreme.com/sqtt.html

Disregarding the exhaust side of the diagram, look how the two compressors of the turbos are piped together. The reed valve serves both as a one way valve, and also allows the #2 compressor to come online gradually without creating a pressure spike. It's not a full size valve, but it does allow the #2 to start flowing some air. Sometime after this, the intake control valve opens and that lets the full flow of the #2 compressor come in. This system works well because both turbos are sized identically, so they're both boosting to the same pressure and producing the same flow.

I've read up on the Supra TT system before, also very interesting but I have read that it also isn't perfect and the transition is noticable... even Toyota can't get it perfect so that is saying something. It seems that a lot of Supra tuners either ditch the system for a straight parallel system (even using the standard turbos) or ditching twins altogether and going single....

I'm a big fan of both the Supra and MR2 (Mk2). I love the Supra very very much, at one point I even considered buying one but after much research I really wanted a UK spec one since they seemed to be much better spec'd than the import ones for a change. The problem with official UK Supra's is that they are a little on the rare side and so can fetch quite a lot of money and the other issue is that they are a little on the lardy side for my liking....

The MR2 is a lot cheaper and lighter, again I've damn near brought one several times before. The thing with the MR2 that worries me is that it can be very difficult to tune in terms of physical space and there are way to many stories of melting pistons and cracking blocks for my liking, plus they've been done quite a lot before around here.... I'm really into my unique things.

If you were putting the SC in parallel with the turbo, you'd probably want to size the SC for sufficient boost down low, then have the turbo come in as the SC is running out of steam, say between 4000-4500 RPM. This wouldn't be two stage compression any more, but two single stage compressors working in two different RPM bands. You'd probably have to do this with twin TB's - one for each compressor system, and linked either with some sort of progressive linkage, or else a drive by wire system.

Thats exactly what I was gunning for in my post above :tongue2: But from the discussions going on in that thread I am not sure that's entirely necessary since they seem pretty keen to just blow right through the SC and then the throttle body after that.

You'd also have to ensure the compressor of the turbo would be big enough to handle the total airflow at the maximum boost pressure you want, and then size the turbine side for it to come in only from the mid to high RPM range. You might even want to include a clutch for the SC to drop it out of the system once the turbo is on boost. All this would be way cool, but way $$$$ too....

Heh, well EVERYTHING I have talked about on this forum so far involves not just $$$$'s but $$$$$'s. :boggled:

But yeah, it seems from that thread that the idea is to have a small SC (smaller than you would perhaps imagine) and then big big turbos, I was initially thinking GT42's but now after reading that thread maybe GT45's! :hypnotized:

Warpspeed said:
There is a fairly widespread and seemingly immortal urban myth, that once the turbo winds up, the supercharger will become restrictive. That can never be the case if the boost pressure at the outlet of the supercharger is higher than at the supercharger inlet pressure. It can never be restricting the flow if that is the case.

Now this is encouraging and TurboAndrew says it as well, I completely see the logic in it, but would I be right in saying that essentially the SC still will be restrictive and is technically a problem still.

Let me explain, an engine can only flow a certain amount of air, by their very nature TC's and SC's will flow more air than the engine can ingest hence why pressure ('boost') is created.

Now an SC can also only flow a certain amount of air as well just like the engine, now where I was getting hung up was that at some point surely the turbos are going to flow more air than the SC can ingest as well and thus be 'restrictive'.

However looking back at it, this is actually the whole point, again this creates pressure or 'boost' and whether the SC is there or not (in just a purely turbo setup) the engine is ALSO a restriction in the same sense as the SC would be in a twincharge system except that since the SC will always flow more than the engine it cancels it out and it doesn't matter and means that the 'problem' isn't actually problem, its always been 'problem' whether I realised it or not, its the whole princple in which TC or SC is based on and why it exists!

In the case of twincharging the restriction is actually less of problem (less restriction to the turbo) than in just straight TC however, would I be right in thinking then that in principle it would be a little harder essentially for the turbos to build pressure ('boost')?

In fact reading through this thread I see that TurbroAndrew has already said exactly what I have said but in a much better way! :tongue2:

turboandrew said:
Guys, it's simple physics, the supercharer is a positive displacement blower -it moves more CFM of air then the engine. It will injest air at a much higher rate than the engine alone, -reducing- the load on the turbo.

Amen to that! The answer was already there! So it seems that my worries aren't actually a problem at all and that twincharging is actually very complementry and works better than I realised! I just wonder why more people haven't done it?

Jibby, you are a perceptive man....I started out doing the 'many-charging' thing because, in my ignorance, I thought it would be cool, I had most of the stuff to do it with, and putting together my motor at 8.6:1, I needed some bottom end oomph to get my 5200 lb sled moving. It evolved into a "wow" factor thing that was and is a rarity. I still hope to make it work based on what I'm learning from you folks, so will continue to tilt this windmill....KISS principle got lost in the shuffle somewhere a while back :eek:)

Wayne

Hey what ever floats your boat Wayne, that's what I always say..Keep us up dated on the progress of your boosted ride, and don't get discourged....I really enjoyed this thread....:Eyecrazy:

Yup it takes all sorts to make the world go around :) As with most mods i think the best advice is to just to be sure you know why you are doing it.

I looked seriously into twin charging a 2 litre that i wanted streetable but also with 500+hp which is a big ask. I had the whole thing dummied out of PVC pipe and was pretty well across how it would all work.

Wayne has some metal to move so some method to his madness and the engineering is worth discussing over many beers at the pub :)

Wow, once you get some sleep you work out you can entirely rephrase your long waffle to:

Q: Will a SC restrict a TC in a twincharge setup?
A: Technically yes but it's less of a restriction than the engine itself so it doesn't matter anyway.

On another note, I just brought my first house this morning WOOOHHOOOOO!!

But the sc have to be of a reasonable size to not make its restriction a problem. Even if it is a positive displacement sc, it will have it's limits when it comes to flow.

The best way of knowing if it is slowing down the turbo, must be to measure the pressure before and after the sc. Then if the pressure drop is to high, you need a bigger sc.

Or, am I way of?

But the sc have to be of a reasonable size to not make its restriction a problem. Even if it is a positive displacement sc, it will have it's limits when it comes to flow.

The best way of knowing if it is slowing down the turbo, must be to measure the pressure before and after the sc. Then if the pressure drop is to high, you need a bigger sc.

Or, am I way of?

Yes but the point is that your SC flows more than your engine so you'll always reach the restriction in the engine first, regardless if the SC is there or not, so it doesn't matter.

Bare in mind that I am only going on what I think I have read correctly so I too could also be waaaaaay off :tongue2:

This is why we discuss though, to learn, I for one am gripped by this thread, its fascinating. :)

Wayne, thank you very much mate, we are very excited indeed but there is so much legal tape to get through first and the current owners haven't even found a place yet so it could be months before we get in.

But yeah there was a bit of a catch 22 situation, I actually have a LOT of money saved up but I don't have a place where I could work on such a thing. Now I've got a place to work on a project I don't have the money to do it :boggled:

That saying I've worked out my finances and should be able to build up a bit of money again. I actually plan on building some sort of kit car like the Ultima GTR/DDR SP4/FF GTM and the like, heck I am even toying with the idea of building my own tubular steel space frame chassis and body work and the thing about projects like that is that they will take years and years so you can spread the finances in bits.

I really do hope your truck works out, from what the thread Cribb linked up was talking about it should definitely be possible, just sounds like some tweeking is in order but in the end I don't think it matters, you are already a pioneer on this forum to us so all power to you. :)

200sx-v8, sorry, you are way off. If you add the SC (one that displaces more air than the engine) between the turbo and the engine, you will actually reduce the pressure between out of the turbo -this is because the SC is gulping in the air much faster than the engine did, lowering the resistance to flow for the turbo. Just remember, whatever the engine could flow alone, the SC flows more.

One thing you need to watch out for is not letting the SC over-spin. There is probably some range that the SC needs to spin -keep it in that range. Have the SC properly sized to the engine and you will never run in to that problem.

guys,

arent we discussing to entirely different things over here?

When your talking about running the output of the turbo through the inpute of the super charger, you're effectivly compound charging the engine, in that case the SC would not be a restriction but simply a presure multipier in terms of volume of air (at least it will be as long as it's alive in this set-up), that would also give you superbly high intake temperatures even with intercooling before the charge enters the SC, there's quite good ways of intercooling a supercharger that sits on top of the manifold nowaday's so it could be overcome (more on that a a few days)
the goal of having sc and turbo is not to get higher boost ratio's but to cure the lag problem of the really big trubo needed to make huge power. compound charging however is about rasing boost levels beyond that of what an sc or turbo could manage by itself, because the allready compressed charger leaving charger #1 will be even further compressed by #2. there's no point in doing this on this engine and certainlt not in a street set-up

to me it would seem better in terms of keeping stuff in one piece, to
Get a plenum set up with 1 entry and before that a Y piece, one side for the SC output and one for the turbo's output. get a throttle valve set up in the Y piece (2 way valve) and put a presure balancing diafragm on it (t-vis actuator would do the trick). when the turbo reaches the required boost (grater than the SC) the valve slowly closes the sc output and opens the turbo's one, once that valve has fully closed the SC's output the SC would be presurizing into a wall and soon die, therfore you could modify the recirculation valve that's in it (eaton Mp series) to work the other way round and then hooking it up to the presure output of the turbo, therfore the boost from the turbo which is higher than that of than SC would effectivly open up the recirculation valve and balance the presure over the out and input of the charger making it stop working and draining power form the cranck, just as eaton works it.

just an idea.

alternative one is to cut down the sc completly with a merc magneto clutch on the sc pully (slk kompressor)

if you where planning on cutting in the turbo's on a boost that is lower then the boost at that point of the SC you're doing somthing wrong anyway.

parts needed,
1 tvis actuator (any tvis 4age or 3sge)
1 Y piece with stock 1uzfe throttle valve in it or 2 if that's easier to fabricate (or does the bi turbo supra or 1gg has one of these fitted???)
1 alternative recirculation valve actuator for the eaton(works other way round) (probably a t-vis actuator aswell)
1 nice working eaton m62 or m90, and 1 bad ass turbo.

grtz Thomas

sorry I like donor parts better than shiny new stuff (el cheapo)

I don't think so guys. If the SC doesn't have the same flow rating as the turbo then clearly it's going to offer a restriction. In the twin charge application it obviously won't have anywhere near the flow rate of the turbo as that's the whole point of the TC setup ie why need a turbo if the SC can match it?

Same issue with the 'choke' point of the engine. If you are reaching that with the SC why would you bother with the turbo?

The turbos increasing boost increases the pressure differential across the inlet valve thereby increasing cyl filling. If you interupt this with a positive displacement SC then you are defeating the point of the turbo.

Why it does appear to still work well with turbo into SC is that the SC is just moving a fixed vol of air with each cycle but being fed by a turbo each 'gulp' has a higher density than it would have without the turbo....ergo more mass flow.

So turbo into SC will still work but if the turbo can feed the engine without the SC in the way then you will have a much better system.

SC into turbo is physically more difficult but has def power advantages. It also has the potential to improve spool as the entry air already has a higher mass flow rate so the turbo has less work to do. Don't know how much this effect will have though.

The tricky bits are the bypass valve requirements of the throttle post SC and the valving required for the separate turbo feed once it outstrips the SC in supplying the engine. The 2nd i have sorted but never got around to testing the first.

One day maybe but turbos are so good these days it's hard to get motivated when just as easy to have outstanding all round perf with a good turbo only setup.

Good idea Striker, however, the configuration of my TRD S/C is all one unit, i.e., the S/C portion sits underneath the intake plenum so the intake air goes directly into the S/C then into the cylinders vice S/C into a plenum into cylinders. The only way I could do dual inlet is to revamp my S/C portion, get rid of my integralTRD and install an external centrifugal so the S/C and Turbo could be y-ed into the common plenum. I like the idea of S/C into Turbo, but not feasible with my current setup. Another idea for waste boost from the S/C would be to use a blow-off valve and route the waste boost back into the exhaust for extra air flow for the Turbo. I could do that with my system as the Turbo is downstream where my muffler used to reside. Still does no good unless I'm willing to fork out $4K for a centrifugal system and I'm can't do that right now.. Lots of great ideas here, keep 'em coming.

Wayne