Supercharging AND Turbocharging

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

LondonBenji

Quick (maybe stupid) question:

If you are supercharging and turbo charging don't the turbos blow through the supercharger? If they do then if the turbo(s) are rated to more power than the supercharger, aren't you going to effectively overboost the supercharger and do bad things to it?

Is there a way around this?

Thanks guys.

feed the supercharger into the turbos, instead of the other way around.

there isnt much point in supercharging and turbocharging anyway. the technology doesnt exist to make a V8 light enough and viable to production. im sure you could do it weight effectively with a low displacement V8, such as an F1 unit, but thats obviously not cost effective. and the system your talking about is much more complicated than just a good supercharger or a properly designed turbo system.

besides, pairing a supercharger with a turbo pretty much eliminates the whole point of a turbo anyway; high effeciency. you could counter that several ways. you could make the system sequential, such as VW did a few years ago, but as the foremost outocompany in Germany, they have the green to take on such a big project. or you could design a new supercharger with much better effeciency than current units, but that negates the reason a turbo is in the system entirely, once again, effeciency. if you really want a compound forced induction system your better off with a single type of unit: supercharger or turbo.

Best of both worlds, the SC for instant response, and the turbo(s) for big power on top! I've always wanted to do one of these....

This is really just a two stage compressor project, and it shouldn't be that hard to do, but it'll be costly.

I used to design/build multistage gas compressors for a living, and the rationale for multistage compression is to be able to keep the discharge temperature of the gas down to a reasonable level. Discharge temps go up exponentially with the ratios of compression, so if you keep the ratios reasonable, and intercool the gas between stages, you can achieve some fairly long ratios with only a few stages of compression, and reasonable discharge temperatures.

Here we're not talking about long ratios, but it's still worthwhile to think about doing because it's cool, and it would have some real benefits in terms of engine response. If it were me, I would configure it to have the turbos blowing into the SC for two reasons:

1) The SC's that most of us would use are positive displacement machines so whatever you give them at the inlet, they'll squeeze a bit more and pass it to the outlet, so it really doesn't matter if you give them 1 bar in and want 1.5 bar out, or you give them 3 bar in and want 3.5 bar out. The only thing you need to watch is that the case and seals are rated for the highest discharge pressure you're anticipating, and that you don't overspeed the machine.

2) In multistage compression, the longest ratio is in the first stage, so this is where you should put the more efficient compressor, which is the turbocharger. The SC, being less efficient than the turbo should have a shorter ratio because it'll heat the air more.

I would definitely put an intercooler between the turbo(s) and the SC, and I would consider doing a methanol/water injection system just after the SC, or possibly shooting it into its intake.

Sizing of the turbo(s) and SC would be a real interesting project, as their sizing would determine the interstage ratios, unless the wastegate or a bypass valve was used to control the interstage pressure.

and that you don't overspeed the machine.

This is what I am worried about, I mean, if the supercharger is working on the low down it will be happy just pulling the air through the turbo's and I don't think it will have a problem doing that without lacking the air it needs (turbo's effectively restricting flow).

But when the turbo's start to pick up and you've got two bloody great big GT42's blasting down at the supercharger, surely that will overboost the supercharger and do bad things....?

Intercooling after the turbo's (but before the supercharger) like you would in a normal plain turbo setup is a good plan. I did always wonder if you could intercool after a supercharger but somehow to me I just couldn't see how that would all fit or would make sense..... but then like turbo's heating up the air and needing intercoolers I would have thought that a supercharger would as well and you would HAVE to intercool after a supercharger somehow! I'm confused :S

Is water injection a replacement for supercharger intercooling? I'm still not sure I get water injection but then thats because I haven't done enough research yet.

Well, folks, I'm back...you may remember my 2uzfe...TRD S/C, Garrett GT 42, 200 hp nitrous and alcohol injection....put it all back together and am still in the process of tuning....I recently took the S/C off to see if it was a restriction to the turbo (charging from the turbo through the S/C). I was getting almost instantaneous 20 lbs of boost with the S/C on, but it sure didn't feel like it, even not having the AFR right, It should have done better. After I took the S/C off, when I hit the correct AFR (around 10.8 to 11.3, that baby takes off like a rocket!!! This is a little 284 cu in in a truck that weighs 5240 lbs w/me in it. I have come to the conclusion that the S/C is not capable of keeping up with the turbo in my application. It doesn't do bad things to the motor, the S/C just doesn't spin fast enough to do anything with the turbo boost once it is spinning up. I suspect, that if I sized them right, it would work much better....the reasoning behind doing both of them was to do just what John said, low end umph (motor is only 8.6:1) until the turbo is spinning up. I won't put the S/C back on, but I will get an adjustable window switch for the nitrous and use it to get my bottom end going when I need to get up those steep on ramps. Will post some numbers once I finally get it tuned.

Wayne

You see that is exactly what I am worried would happen.

The SC eventually runs out of puff regardless of what the TC is chucking at it and thus stifles the turbo's ability to produce power at the top end, completely negating the point of the twincharging hopes.

Unless of course there is some way to completely bypass the SC once it begins to run out of puff and just let the TC's blow directly into the engine without restriction.

But how would such a way be setup, it sounds very complicated and my guess is that it wouldn't be very easy to balance the transistion making it a very rough.

Sorry to hear that you truck didn't go to plan, but at least you've tried and given it a go, very impressive alone in my opinion and it still was a beast!

There are couple of ways of doing things. Wayne's and my Previa (supposely) the turbo feed directly into the SC and from there into the engine. The second method would be independence entrance into the intake.

Thats basically the way I had in mind:

Exhaust --> Turbo --> Intercooler --> Supercharger --> Engine --> Rinse and repeat.

But as the above thinking goes and what Wayne seems to have proven at least is that once your supercharger runs out of puff and the turbo's are starting to kick in and reach full blow, you are forcing the supercharger to work in an operating range it just wasn't designed to do (I guess the term would be overboosting).

At this point I guess it seems to effectively just be a restricter in the air flow from the point of view from the turbo charger(s) and stifles their top end power defeating the idea of twincharging.

I guess you could build an intake and plumb the turbo's in like normal and then sit a supercharger on top of that..... but then wouldn't the supercharger be forcing air back towards the turbo chargers (read: bad things happen)?

Here are some latest pictures of a 350Z (Twincharged)

0701_turp_08z+nissan_350_twin_charged+supercharger.jpg

0701_turp_07z+nissan_350_twin_charged+engine.jpg

I think the best way would be:

Exhaust --> Turbo --> Intercooler --> Engine
Supercharger --> Intercooler --> Engine

Where the two systems merged before entering the engine.

(Drivetrain setups to consider, manual vs. automatic) Slightly off topic....

Let's say a Torque converter stall rate of 2800 in combination with the automatic trannies, I think your always going to be challenged to produce topend power regardless of what boost and power that your cars producing within reason....That is where I lack on my SC4, tons of lowend power and torque with a noticeable let off at the topend...My torque converter is the main reason for that...Also, even when running the 150 shot it really doesn't make a big difference at the topend... Very dissapointing to say the least..

Manual trannies will solve that problem obviously or maybe the proper dialed in stall rate TC in combination with your setup may help some..

Oh and Lex, it appears to me in that video that it is Euro boosted car that does not show MPH on the speedo...That is a Km reading speedo, right?

Holy crap! Thats a beast!

http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0701_turp_nissan_350z_twin_charged/index.html

Looks like they are working it the same way we have been thinking:

"In essence the system is very simple. The V6 engine spins the Blitz turbocharger through the specially built exhaust manifolds, which in turn feeds the intercooler. Then a large diameter pipe directly connects the intercooler to the supercharger intake via a mechanical throttle body."

But I like what you are getting at Lex:

"I think the best way would be:

Exhaust --> TC ------>|-----------|
|Intercooler|---> Engine
Engine ---> SC ------>|-----------|

Where the two systems merged before entering the engine."

Is that what you were getting at? Seems like a sensible layout however wouldn't the SC still be blowing air back towards the TC?

Well, folks, I'm back...you may remember my 2uzfe...TRD S/C, Garrett GT 42, 200 hp nitrous and alcohol injection....put it all back together and am still in the process of tuning....I recently took the S/C off to see if it was a restriction to the turbo (charging from the turbo through the S/C). I was getting almost instantaneous 20 lbs of boost with the S/C on, but it sure didn't feel like it, even not having the AFR right, It should have done better. After I took the S/C off, when I hit the correct AFR (around 10.8 to 11.3, that baby takes off like a rocket!!! This is a little 284 cu in in a truck that weighs 5240 lbs w/me in it. I have come to the conclusion that the S/C is not capable of keeping up with the turbo in my application. It doesn't do bad things to the motor, the S/C just doesn't spin fast enough to do anything with the turbo boost once it is spinning up. I suspect, that if I sized them right, it would work much better....the reasoning behind doing both of them was to do just what John said, low end umph (motor is only 8.6:1) until the turbo is spinning up. I won't put the S/C back on, but I will get an adjustable window switch for the nitrous and use it to get my bottom end going when I need to get up those steep on ramps. Will post some numbers once I finally get it tuned.

Wayne

Wayne, really surprised and sorry to hear about your setback. It sounds like your turbo might be coming in too early, and perhaps its A/R ratio is too small on the turbine side? These days we're all focused on reducing turbo lag, but for twincharging, you actually want a lag monster for a turbo. Also, for the S/C, you might want to consider adjusting its pulley so you don't overspeed it up on top, and then just ensuring it's big enough to give the boost you want down low.

Have a look at this thread over on the engineering forum: http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=174690&page=1 ; you might consider joining and contacting member Warpspeed by PM and discussing your problem. He's pretty switched on about twin-charging :boggled:

Benji, what you're describing is the way the sequential twin turbo Supra is setup, and it's done with a combination of a one way reed valve and an intake control valve for the #2 turbo to put it in parallel with the #1. There's a schematic of this setup here: http://www.lextreme.com/sqtt.html

Disregarding the exhaust side of the diagram, look how the two compressors of the turbos are piped together. The reed valve serves both as a one way valve, and also allows the #2 compressor to come online gradually without creating a pressure spike. It's not a full size valve, but it does allow the #2 to start flowing some air. Sometime after this, the intake control valve opens and that lets the full flow of the #2 compressor come in. This system works well because both turbos are sized identically, so they're both boosting to the same pressure and producing the same flow.

If you were putting the SC in parallel with the turbo, you'd probably want to size the SC for sufficient boost down low, then have the turbo come in as the SC is running out of steam, say between 4000-4500 RPM. This wouldn't be two stage compression any more, but two single stage compressors working in two different RPM bands.

You'd probably have to do this with twin TB's - one for each compressor system, and linked either with some sort of progressive linkage, or else a drive by wire system. You'd also have to ensure the compressor of the turbo would be big enough to handle the total airflow at the maximum boost pressure you want, and then size the turbine side for it to come in only from the mid to high RPM range. You might even want to include a clutch for the SC to drop it out of the system once the turbo is on boost. All this would be way cool, but way $$$$ too....

A supercharger, sized properly for the engine (generates more CFM than the engine), will never EVER restrict a turbo blowing through it. Rytherwr, I appluad your experiments, but the results are meaningless if the AFR was off with the supercharger in place. Guys, it's simple physics, the supercharer is a positive displacement blower -it moves more CFM of air then the engine. It will injest air at a much higher rate than the engine alone, -reducing- the load on the turbo. The only hazards I can think of in your case was that there is no intercooler after that supercharger, and the way they designed that passage from the throttle to the inlet of the supercharger looks quite restrictive. Now, if you are happy with just a turbo, then stay with it! Honestly, the only thing the supercharger will get you in your case is hitting boost at a lower rpm. If you are happy with the spooling of the turbo alone, stick with it. If you are not, try the supercharger again, and try to fix the AFR issue, or just stick the the nitrous.