3UZ supercharging overview & questions

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Hog Head

Manifolds are now available here in Thailand for the 1UZ, and should be ready next month for the 1UZ-VVTI and 3UZ.
Cost is about 600 USD
Height using a M112 blower is claimed to be no higher than the 1UZ
I am waiting for the 3UZ version and will post pics when it is in my hands but looks VERY like the cast unit from OZ - probably not too surprising

Safe boost:
Searching old threads suggests that a safe boost level for an unopened junkyard engine is .5 Bar (7.25 psi) over sea level pressure
I also see horror stories of broken rods and crack ring lands.
Is this a proven safe level for long term reliability for the skinny rod 3UZ? - I am willing to give up some power for reliability
Torque in the heavy, 6 speed auto car is more important to me than than high rpm HP

Blower model:
A M90 seems a bit small - Eaton M112 or M122?
Heat will be an issue here as it can get bloody hot, and more so when idling in traffic. I am thinking that the M122 will be a bit lower AIT, and allower lower blower RPM to deliver the same air volume
I would like a more efficient VTS1900 but the initial higher cost increases 50% by the time I land one here

Fuel and timing:
We have a choice of fuels, and the most appropriate would seem E20 gasohol x 95 octane using the RON + MON method
Any initial timing and AFR settings for start up, until I get it to a dyno?

Will the stock injectors support the power gain from .5 Bar boost?
Injector size and fuel pressure suggestions at .5 Bar?

What to use for a TB or is the stock unit adequate?

Gearbox:
I have a 6 speed auto on the 3UZ, - should be a 76X
How much torque can this transmission safely handle as I have a big heavy Merc

Manifolds are now available here in Thailand for the 1UZ, and should be ready next month for the 1UZ-VVTI and 3UZ.
Cost is about 600 USD
I am waiting for the 3UZ version and will post pics when it is in my hands but looks VERY like the cast unit from OZ - probably not too surprising

Fantastic news - can't wait to see pics of both types! Hopefully they'll be of a modular construction with an add-on section for intercoolers.

Safe boost:
Searching old threads suggests that a safe boost level for an unopened junkyard engine is .5 Bar (7.25 psi) over sea level pressure
Is this a proven safe level for long term reliability for the skinny rod 3UZ? - I am willing to give up some power for reliability
Torque in the heavy, 6 speed auto car is more important to me than than high rpm HP

Great question - most who have started with low boost wanted more so they cranked it up and that's where the damage occurred. Also most have done this with much lighter cars than your application, so the safe level for you may be less...... But that's the good thing about using a junkyard pull. If you blow it, then just get another. Or you may want to consider getting a pair of them initially, and put one in the car straight away, unopened, then build the 2nd one up with stronger internals to handle the higher boost that you'll want down the road. And you WILL want it.

Blower model:
Heat will be an issue here as it can get bloody hot, and more so when idling in traffic. I am thinking that the M122 will be a bit lower AIT, and allower lower blower RPM to deliver the same air volume
I would like a more efficient VTS1900 but the initial higher cost increases 50% by the time I land one here

Yes, don't waste your time with an M90. The few who have started with them quickly upgraded to bigger units. Obviously the later Eatons are more efficient than the earlier ones, so purchase the most recent model you can afford......

Fuel and timing:
We have a choice of fuels, and the most appropriate would seem E20 gasohol x 95 octane using the RON + MON method

You'll want the most knock resistant fuel available, so if E20 is the best available, so be it. But even E20 will take its toll on the soft parts of the UZ engine like the injector o-rings, etc. so be prepared to replace the soft parts of the fuel system.

You might get away with them if you also use an FMU or some other method of boosting the fuel pressure, but remember that the blower will be taking its power from the crankshaft, so you have to consider that additional load as well when you do your injector sizing.

You should be fine with the stock TB initially.

Gearbox:

No idea about the tranny; maybe someone else can comment. Most slush boxes can handle a torquey engine if you roll into the throttle gradually, and not do stop light to stop light racing......

One area that you haven't asked about is engine management? Are you intending to keep the stock Toyota system, or go aftermarket, or piggyback, etc.? Our expert pro member Gloverman should be your go to in this area, and hopefully he'll comment on the above points as well and correct any where my memory has failed me :)

The key questions at this point are boost level, and injector size. Junkyard engines here cost 2000 USD and the 3UZ is not easy to find, so I would rather not blow it up.
I have bought an Eaton M112 blower

I am at the local tuners mercy when it comes to the ECU, as I will need to use what he is most familiar with - probably Haltech

E85 is common, but that is a lot more problematic to system components. E10 is also common, but I think that E20 will be the better choice

Cost is about 600 USD

Safe boost:

Blower model:

Fuel and timing:

Gearbox:
Cost is about 600 USD

Safe boost:

Blower model:

Fuel and timing:

Gearbox:

I'm in Bangkok and am VERY, VERY interested in that 3UZ blower manifold. I have a Whipple 2.3L and all parts XCEPT the manifold. Let me know soon . . . I am getting ready to pull the trigger on an expensive Bullet intake.

This is the guy that is doing it:
https://www.facebook.com/anuchar.ma...&dti=332702013586556&hc_location=group_dialog

He is using the Eaton M112, but as the top plate is flat there is little stopping you from getting a blank plate and mounting the Whipple.
He is making different crank and blower pullies, and a bespoke idler.
A bit light on technical details, but he has a running 1UZ and told me a month ago that he was a month away from the 3UZ or 1UZ-VVTI
20,000 for everything but the blower + 3000 if you want a fabricated elbow into the side entry M112 blower.
80K for all the bits with blower, but I would rather source my own blower than rely on his used parts

I am in Chiangmai. Any insight you can provide on my questions would be appreciated