Electric supercharging?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Toysrme, just a couple of comments to your otherwise excellent dissertation:

Roots blowers are called that for a reason. They're positive displacement fans which produce no internal compression. Any rise in compression downstream is due to restrictions on their discharge. This is why they're not called Roots compressors.

Serially connected, or multistage compression is actually very efficient. 90% of all gas compressor stations these days are running multistage centrifugal compressors because centrifugals are a lot like Roots blowers - they can't compress much over 1.5 pressure ratios per stage.

Last time I checked, Mr. Watt's formula was 746 of his little namesakes to the HP, not 749. But shoot, 749 is probably close enough for government work and Nascar.

I think the rest of your stuff is on pretty solid ground; I don't think we'll be seeing any "real" electric turbo's or compressors any time soon, but hey, that doesn't stop the scam artists from building them, nor the morons from buying them off of eBay.

Here's a funny about a guy who managed to acquire an Air Force surplus JATO (Jet Assisted Take Off) unit and strapped it onto his '67 Chebby. This is actually the story that inspired me to write about the gasoline powered weed whacker supercharger. I'll betcha someone here could replicate these results with the Redneck Supercharger, a tad of nitromethane, and a 200 shot of NOS.

The Arizona Highway Patrol were mystified when they came upon a pile of smoldering wreckage embedded in the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The metal debris resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it turned out to be the vaporized remains of an automobile. The make of the vehicle was unidentifiable at the scene.

The folks in the lab finally figured out what it was, and pieced together the events that led up to its demise.

It seems that a former Air Force sergeant had somehow got hold of a JATO (Jet Assisted Take-Off) unit. JATO units are solid fuel rockets used to give heavy military transport airplanes an extra push for take-off from short airfields.

Dried desert lakebeds are the location of choice for breaking the world ground vehicle speed record. This sergeant apparently took the JATO unit into the Arizona desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. He then strapped the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, accelerated to a high speed, and fired off the rocket.

The facts, as best as could be determined, are as follows:

The operator was driving a 1967 Chevy Impala. He ignited the JATO unit approximately 3.9 miles from the crash site. This was established by the location of a prominently scorched and melted strip of asphalt. The vehicle quickly reached a speed of between 250 and 300 mph and continued at that speed, under full power, for an additional 20-25 seconds. The soon-to-be pilot experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners.

The 30 year old Chevy managed to remain on the straight highway for approximately 2.6 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied the brakes, completely melting them, blowing the tires, and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface. The vehicle then became airborne for an additional 1.3 miles, impacted the cliff face at a height of 125 feet, and left a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recovered; however, small fragments of bone, teeth, and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.
Ironically a still-legible bumper sticker was found, reading:

"How do you like my driving? Dial 1-800-EAT-SH*T."

1995 Darwin Award Winner

You guys are great, love the responses....Anyway I concluded it was garbage before I posted the thread,and just wanted to make sure...

My conclusion is with a high powered little electric fan connected directly to the intake, you may notice a little power increase at low rpm as the engine works less hard to suck air in...but with the rpms climbing I dought the little fan can keep up with the engine at redline sucking in massive amounts of air... In conclusiong I think it is useless....maybe good at start, but restrictive at full throttle...That is what simple logic tells me...Also you will be draining power from the alternator to run that little fan blower...

On the other hand there was a earlier thread about a leaf blower making good power gains on a Honda I think...I am sure you guys remember the leaf blower thread.?????

Electric superchargers! Very interesting! To tell you guys the truth. I spent so much time and somewhat a few hundred bucks on electric superchargers for about 7-8 years ago on a 4 cylinder Honda engine. I never got successful. Honestly speaking, I didn't hear of such electric supercharger at that time. I came up with it by myself and called it "electric turbocharger" because I was a turbo geek. Anyway, the electric turbocharger boosted the car at red light, but then no more power is added after that, including at cruising. I would guess it's about 15 hp max due to my other experiences on other mods. At idle, there's not much air is fed into the combustion, so with more air at idle (from the electric turbo), of course it has to accelerate faster.

Those Ebay e-superchargers are a rip-off. You can pay $30 for a decent blower at a boat part store. They call them blower because these blowers blow the gas fume out of the engine area before cranking the engine. This is the normal procedure for a boat before cranking the engine. You can also pay $15-$20 in the boat parts section on Ebay. Isn't it funny? The same website has 2 different prices. It's only on Ebay. :shrug:

This is critical. The e-supercharger mostly flows at a constant rate. Therefore, it can not suit with the variable fuel, rpm, and timing of an engine. If the e-supercharger is too strong, the air from it might cause pre-ignition when the fuel isn't there.

Or you can get a weak e-supercharger and run a Y intake pipe. That way, the main intake pipe is still straight without flow restriction, and the e-supercharger from a secondary pipe still flows and aids in giving more air. This is the best that I can think of.

Attachments

• engine in chassis 001.jpg
    engine in chassis 001.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 2
  • cab painted 086.jpg
    cab painted 086.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 2
And u acturally tried it 8 years ago..so some extra power at takeoff is possible for $15-30..?The input on this thread have been very interesting..Mysbuster it is..

I have read of functioning electric superchargers that use a conventional rootes type compressor and three starter motors to run it. They have a bank of batteries in the boot.

When you hit the button to start it up (sort of like NOS I guess) you have increased power for perhaps 30 seconds before the batteries go flat. You then drive around for an hour whilst you car charges the battery bank so you can have you next dose of accelaration. The added weight of the batteries probably negates a lot of the benefit of the system.

Given the cost of the beast it would be cheaper and more practicle to run a belt driven supercharger.

An electric supercharger could work if someone had an infinitely long extension cord and access to the Hoover dam.

bango said:
And u acturally tried it 8 years ago..so some extra power at takeoff is possible for $15-30..?The input on this thread have been very interesting..Mysbuster it is..
But I used it on a 4 cylinder Honda. And of course it won't be the same as with a V8 1UZFE. I haven't tried it on the 1UZ and I don't think I'll try again. I rather save time to go with a real FI system.

$100 for 40hp anyone? That averages out to be a little more the $2 per 1 horsepower...not bad if you ask me....However, I too would rather be supercharged or turbo'd, but that would cost a lot more then $100....

Anything that sounds to good to be true is usually not true....99% of the time....need I say more...

Its all a learning curve for me..From all acounts the ebay ones are a Ripped off(they are 200-300 AUs ),but some interesting facts was put forward(thanks to all the techno wiz here).It Looks like there's a very mild improvement from idle but run out of puff as the engine RPM increses,though with the "Y" thingy might help that(at least won't choke the motor).In a NA motor ,when the Revs increses it draws more air in naturally (has to be no FI )so you would think that some sort of "air volumn" increasing methods should help?I mean iv read about motors acting differently at altitudes..leaning out etc,I would have thought that by adding more "Air" would really help performance,not nearly as much as full on Fi..as whats being pointed out is the "compressed" part of the superchargers that does the job.

cribbj, I know roots & screw blowers are different. I was just trying to describe. A centerfugal compressors compresses internally. Blowers are externial. But the differance in any kind of fan, and either of those is that a fan simply can't effectively compress like the engine chargers can.

With a roots, or screw blower, once it's thrown out the other end of the compressor - it's not going to reverse & come back through the blower. With any kind of just pure fan (Even highly engineered & precice blade compressors, or ducted fans with very high tolerances) You easily wind up with an amount of air you've passed from one side, passing back infront of the fan. Which makes them blah at compressing - like with an engine.

Like I said, I was just speaking in the *context* I was speaking in. <grins>

If nothing else, think about the power requirements. The majority of this stuff is just drawing off the car's 12v system. They just can't draw descent power like that!
Ya, sometimes my memory isn't right. 746. (745.7!)

Just for yall to contrast against. The CURRENT e-ram's now say they output a maximum of 480watts (45amps @ 12v).
The power numbers I was quoting above.
<cough> 3000-6000 watts (long term) with purpose built ducted fans VS 480watts.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Like I said, you could easily make one work - just not with the low quality stuff people are trying to pimp out.

The problem is that nothing is free. ;) Battery packs (Like from R/C) are the only really good way to power one.

Pro said:
" improve your cold start rev-ability " with the Zuffenator© Interwarmer, complete with comprehensive DIY instructions!!! Easy to install, takes just under 2 hours with a screwdriver and a pair of zip ties!!! Yours today for only $129.95!!! Let's hear from a few happy customers...!

"...yeah, i bought the interwarmer - installed it in 90mins. works a treat..."
- Rod, Sydney.

"...my car gets up to operating temp much quicker which means i can rev it quicker and make more power sooner!!!!..."
- Aaron, Perth

comprehensive and testimonial proof that the Zuffenator© actually works!!! don't wait to get beaten at the traffic light grand prix - get yours today!!!
ROFLMFAO!!!!!!

Just burst out laugh9ing and made it obvious Im not doing anything constructive.... Thats frokin hilarious.