Supercharging a SC430

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Cruizing

I have a Lexus SC430. Which I love. Like everybody else I would like MORE power. I would love a bolt on kit with real power but with no issues BUT that does not seem to exist. I would like about 500 Hp. From what I have researched a twin screw SC probably from a Mustang kit would work. Questions for you gurus?

1.) With an 3UZ do need to change the pistons/rods ie. stroker kit?I I have read there are a few weak points.
2.) Should I replace the heads and gasket?
3.) Do I need to replace the fuel pump and FMU?
4.) Should I replace the injectors and rails?
5.) Do I need to change the electrical system?
6.) I would like to use a kit from the Kenne Bell SC such as from the Mustang. Would this be hard to modify the intake? What about the bypass valve?
7.) I would assume a piggyback or stand-alone system would be required.What would be recommended?
8.) After all of this, would my tranny survive or would it need a transplant?

I am trying to investigate all of this beforehand to anticipate the pain involved.
Thank you in advance for your consideration and experience.
Ross

I'll try my best but bare in mind I am not a mechanic, this is just based on my understanding so there maybe bits that are wrong and/or bits that are missing...

1.) It seems in the 3UZ it is probably best to change the rods as they are the weak point, 500bhp is pushing the stock rods in the 1UZ and they are stronger so....

2.) Heads should be fine afaik, there is another SC430 out there that is pushing way more power and I believe it was stock 3UZ heads. Don't know about stock gaskets.

3.) You'll have to ask the experts....

4.) From the 1UZ you'd definitely need to replace the injectors for bigger ones otherwise you'd be pushing stock ones insanely hard and even then I think they still wouldn't be able to cope. Not sure about stock fuel rails....

5.) I'm assuming to hit 500bhp you will need boost and fuel way above what I think the stock ECU can account for (I think about 7psi or something) so some sort of piggy back ECU at least. There maybe more to this section.

6.) Speak to Richwood, I think he may already have something or may be able to help you out.

7.) See point 5.) I believe piggybacks are cheaper so its down to your budget. Bare in mind if you change the main ECU, other car electrical systems may have problems or won't work correctly.

8.) Probably not, at least not for a very long time.....

There is probably way more too it....I'll try and find that other supercharged (centrifugal) SC430 for you.

Thanks for the info. I have seen photos of the fried pistons on boosted 3UZs. It seems from what I can discover from the available info that going over 450hp puts it at significant risk. A stroker kit to inprove the rods and pistons makes sense to do first as an upgrade, plus it increases displacement. From there FI can be done. The fuel thing I am not sure about. Going too lean from what I read is b.....ad.

Thanks for the info. I have seen photos of the fried pistons on boosted 3UZs. It seems from what I can discover from the available info that going over 450hp puts it at significant risk. A stroker kit to inprove the rods and pistons makes sense to do first as an upgrade, plus it increases displacement. From there FI can be done. The fuel thing I am not sure about. Going too lean from what I read is b.....ad.

Fried pistons is often a tuning related issue. I hate piggybacks on high powered cars for this reason - you have top pussyfoot around with your tune to minimize your fuel trims in closed loop or it hoses your tune when in open loop. Its much easier to plumb in a full standalone in parralel with the stock ECU to run the injectors and coils and whatnot and just let the stock ECU run the gauges and (depending on the standalone) the VVTi

Attachments

• Supercharger pulley1.jpg
    Supercharger pulley1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 8
  • Supercharger pulley2.jpg
    Supercharger pulley2.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Supercharger pulley3.jpg
    Supercharger pulley3.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Supercharger pulley aluminium.jpg
    Supercharger pulley aluminium.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 7
Just stay under 450 or so then u will be fine. There are few guys doing the Fish on their SC400. You might want to read up to it.

Just from an observers view with no mechanical backing I would've thought even 450bhp would be pushing it.....I would have thought more like 350-400 would be on the edge and only recommened with *excellent* tuning.

Fried pistons is often a tuning related issue. I hate piggybacks on high powered cars for this reason - you have top pussyfoot around with your tune to minimize your fuel trims in closed loop or it hoses your tune when in open loop. Its much easier to plumb in a full standalone in parralel with the stock ECU to run the injectors and coils and whatnot and just let the stock ECU run the gauges and (depending on the standalone) the VVTi

This is a good idea … dose some one try that before ??

This is a good idea … dose some one try that before ??

I have done it on Celicas and MR2s. I have put a standalone on an 03 DBW Celica with a 2ZZ-GE. The standalone runs the ignition, fuel, VVTi and VVTL, stock ECU runs gauges and DBW throttle.

I also worked with a friend to put one on a MR2 Spyder with an SMT and DBW throttle.

We also put one on a Lotus Elise with the 2ZZ-GE. Again the stock ECU runs the gauges - standalone does everything else.

How did you go with your project, i am also considering the same type of thing to my GS430 and the same questions bother me, your trials and tribulations as well as your successes would be of great interest to me.

The other thing is what if all of those modifications needed to be done, were done, what would you expect to pay? I have spoken with Bullet here in Australia, they are interested in customising something for me as they have not done a 3UZ before only 1-2UZ kits. However there estimates are approx 1 month and 16K to do it. Is this what you would pay? Other alternatives are greatly appreciated.

Blitz has a supercharger kit for the GS430. I personally saw it at the meet. It looks really nice. However, I don't think the $$ is worth the hp. It only gains 63 flywheel hp over stock. I'd expect it can gain at least 150 hp over stock. The car owner said it's more than $9K USD.

http://www.nihoncar.com/en/news-648-The+Blitz+hits+the+Lexus+GS430.html

The 3UZ rods are skinny so I don't think they're good for over 8-9 psi. This will put the car in 450 flywheel hp range. Well, go for the turbo system and expect to pay around $7K USD for a shop that really knows how to build the turbo system.

Thanks for the posts everyone, I have seen the Blitz Kits the problem is getting someone to give me a price everyone i contact either does not reply or skirts the questions, it is very difficult locking down some solid info i would like answered, everyone seems to have there opinions. The first is where and what kit to use, then i would need someone to install it profesionally as i do not have the time to learn how to install. I am in Queensland has anyone got some answers for me. I would also love to hear from someone who can catergorically tell me if i need engine internal modifications done and what they are.
Thanks again guys for posting your help is appreciated.

The demand for supercharging the GS430 is so rare so that's why it's not easy to find someone who'll build it. I think you'll need to contact Blitz directly if you want to go that route. But it's not worth for what you pay for their system. You may search for the performance shop in your area, or perhaps in your country and have them build for you on a one-of-a custom kit basis. You don't really have to go with the root type supercharger like Blitz. You can go with the centrifugal supercharger like Procharger or Vortech and have the performance shop build the bracket and the piping for you. The centrifugal supercharger is easier to build.

Attachments

• pics.jpg
    pics.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 79