Turbo Headers: $2500?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Well I gave my opinion of them...
Odds are 20-1 I get banned from clublexus yet again for saying the blantant obvious truth because they do not appreciate anyone saying anything negative to someone that pays their ungodly vendor fees.

If I don't; then it either slipped through the cracks, or maybe things have changed abit on CL. I'm hoping for the latter.

To quote myself:
Pheonix said:
Supraforums:
revisedmanfold2.jpg
  • Take the header wrap off.
  • That particular log style of manifold is not the best design possible in a turbo manifold. It's the cheap & quick way. For much less money, someone could have modified the OEM manifold to accomplish the same thing. Food for thought...
  • THAT IS NOT "thick wall pipe". It looks like typical t304 16-gauge. When you build a header & claim you're using thick wall... That means you've broke out the Schedule-40. 16-gauge = .08", schedule 10 = .106", schedule 40 = .145"
  • The amount of material cost, work done VS the price is completely outrageous. The price is simply rediculous for those turbo manifolds
Header wrap is stupid. It's destructive, and DOES NOT save money VS cermaic coatings when building & selling a product over time. I would seriously suggest buying youself a powder coating gun, and buying, or making an oven. Powder is much cheaper than wrap. It also won't retain moisture & cause your stainless to rust.

I do like the flanges. I preffer mild flanges greatly on turbo manifolds, but it's a personal prefferance, not an issue of right/wrong. I like you flanges. :)

Those manifolds typically would run roughly $600 a pop for a descently good home fabricator to make. Which there are dozens, hundreds floating around the net. So that'd be the $1200 range, give or a take afew hundred. Now that that's a blind guess, and I don't like blind. So let's break it down!
4x 1.5" 16-gauge 180* mandrel bends with legs = $80usd
6' 1/5" 16-gauge staight pipe = $50usd
Not sure what size V-band you're using but for example purposes:
2x 2.5" v-band kit $110usd
Custom waterjet/CNC milled flanges typicall run from free to $100 a pop. I'll spot ya & say $100 a pop. Flanges = $200
We're up to $440usd. In raw materials for both manifolds.
Any welder/fabricator worth knows that raw material cost x3 is *generally* going to be very,very close to the quoted price. $440usd x3 = $1320.

So $1320usd worth of work suddenly equals $2500usd how?

At any rate. Your product does not seem to be bad. But at the price you are listing them at. My opinion of them changes from, "I'm glad someone is finally selling them", to "wow those manif's are POS's for the money, and are meant to separate people from their money just for monitary gain".

ps, I am not being insultive, simply stating what I think of them & should be obvious to anyone else that dabbles in any kind of exhaust / manifold / turbo manifold creation. The price / product ratio is horrible. Ya gotta recoupe some cost of down-time on the guy's car, but I honestly don't see why the price would, for any reason, everbe more than $1750usd shipped to anywhere in North America.

I have seen Toysmre welding skills. That boy is good and I think he can make those headers in few hours. Tell me if I am right Toysmre!.....

Good work and I'm glad that people who don't know better now have a chance to see these headers for what they are worth. Let the truth be known on LEXTREME.COM !!

Oh... And AFA complete header VS incomplete.
Technically those are incomplete turbo manifolds. To complete them, they'd have to take a v-band flange & weld it to your choice of turbine flange. If that were done, then it would become a complete set of turbo manifolds.
So incomplete turbo manifold. I would just call them turbo manifolds.

I have no idea why they would go to the trouble of ripping the legs of the 1.5" stainless pipe tho. All I can figure is maybe that's the only way they could weld the runners together? I think you could get a normal torch with a short / button back in to merge them faster without all that work. If not. A pencil style torch is like $75 online. Every manifold maker should have a pencil torch to seal the inside of their collectors anyway.
(Or have a gas lens & use alot of stickout & pre-flow)

Hey Ryan,

TTC turbo headers looks just like yours. Did they copy your headers and not giving you credit for it? Can I borrow your headers for 40 days. So we can mass produce them in China so the community can benefit. I can get them done as the price mentioned and that is helping the community out.
TTC:
V8TTturbomanifoldsfitandfinshedp-9.jpg

SC400TT:
DSC00884_edited_1_.jpg

Ah thanks!
Eh, IDK if I'm better than him & wouldn't go so far as to say so. I don't think I am, he's welded for longer. I'm perfectly good enough... I've yet to have anything I've ever sold, or been hired to do crack, if that means anything...
We're doing gtaw this semister, I can't wait! Our program had the #1 & #2 overall welders, both were 1 & 2 with gtaw for the state of alabama, so I know the guy can definately teach people how to tig. I'm excited about it.

It'd be afew hours on each to reproduce something like that the way they're doing it. I hate ripping pipe that way with a grinder. It's extremely old-school & not too fast. For someone making multiple set's, it be worth it to just run a fence on a vertical bandsaw & then it wouldn't be so bad.
I have ground some very long 2-1 merge collectors that way & it's horrible, I hated it.

The only time I've ever done something like that was making transitions buy ripping V's out of them. Saves like 1/3 of the cost of buying one (or much, much more if you need a long one), but it does take up some time in the process.

I'm babbling on... Eh, I'd rather see a log manifold like that done with a typical collector than that really long one. That's bound to affect the flow to some degree. Just a nice, typical 4-6" merge collector... Everyone & their brother can make them, and there's way less work involved. (welding can be alittle tricker, but whatever)

And I would like to add... Anyone else see a lack of an external wastegate? IDk the space requirements or that engine bay layout. But before claiming 100% compatibility I would give placement & routing of an external wastegate a thought. Internal is great, but you know... T3 class turbo's normally start to creep around 220-250bhp on 4 cylinders. (so 440-500bhp)

TurboManifoldRamhorn2-1.jpg
TurboManifoldRamhorn2-4.jpg
There's a manifold from while back.

Not great, but definately not bad by any means..........
Gas lenses rock :) Mine started coming out so much better the day I ditched the normal setup for a gas lens like everyone else told me to do. Sheesh. Just wish I had a pulsed tig. Man those things are great.
Oh... And ditched 3/32" filler rods for 1/16" goes a long way too lol!
It takes a man to do good welds on things like manifolds with 3/32" rods. I only use them for when I need alot of fill, like the random big gap, etc.

Lextremers:

I want you all to know that I have a lot of respect for a lot of you guys on this forum, but regarding this thread...Things have gotten out of hand, and there may be some perceptions from my posts that are incorrect, so I am going to attempt to clear it up here.

First, here is my response to Phoenix's post on CL:
"Dude (Phoenix):

You may know a lot more about manifold building than me, but your statements are, in some cases, erroneous, and in others, quite insulting...

What do you mean take the stock manifolds and turn them around???They will not even fit. Did you ever even take the time to measure the space available between the engine and the frame rails of the SC? Not only will they not fit, but the design on the stock mani's are at best horribly restrictive. For you to compare these manifolds to the stockers is insulting and misleading. To all the guys on this forum who do not have the level of experience and knowledge to know this, you are being irresponsible to post up such a ludicrous statement as you have. Let me make it clear. The stock manifolds cannot be reversed and used to build a turbo system on the SC. Just as a low mount turbo system on the SC is not possible unless you actually modify and reshape part of the floor board of the car.

I would think that you would also know that when anyone takes on a stock car to turbo it, or modify it, compromises have to be engineered into the equation. We are not talking about building a car from scratch where we are building the frame and all...We are talking about having to deal with the built in limitations that were built inot the car from the factory. The factory also does not build their cars to allow fro aftermarket modifications.

So, if you disagree with Erics price for the manifolds, you have the right to state that, and just state that. But stop dissing a fantastic piece of workmanship, which these headers are...And I want to state that I do not make a dime off the sale of these headers....BTW, Eric has the right to charge whatever he wants to for the headers....It's up to the buyer if he wants them.

I just want accurate statements made here.

Until Frank designed and made these headers, there was not a viable option for anybody to TT their SC400.

Ryan"

Secondly, it has come to me that it appears that I was stating that Eric and Frank back doored me and decided to copy my headers and keep me out of the loop...Well, let me emphatically state that is not the case. Both Eric and Frank were up front with me from the beginning, and asked me if it was all right with me to jig my headers, and told me that they were going to put them into production. I agreed, and had no problem with it. In fact, I have made it clear many times in different posts, that I have no interest in making a business out of building and designing custom parts to be sold on the forums. So when I stated that I made not one dime off these headers, it is because that is the way I wanted it. I do not want to be involved in the business aspects of these headers, never did. Again, let me repeat, I did not expect any money for these headers, and neither Eric nor Frank did anything behind my back.

I was upset with Eric because it appeared that he was taking credit for my efforts and work and money spent to get these headers made, we have since spoken, and that was not his intention, just an oversight, so he and I are squared on this.

Listen, I know there is some bad blood between Eric and several of the members on this forum, and I am not looking to get involved in that. I do want to state that all my business dealings with him have been very satisfactory. He has never screwed me. Neither has Frank. Both of them have always been straight up with me.

Now as far as the price Eric charges, that is his choice. He never said anyone had to buy them.

And I still do not like the thought of anything coming out of China...I will stick to good ole USA quality myself.

You have to give Eric creedit for bringing things to the Lexus V8...He has done that, even if you do not like some of his products, or some of his prices. He has remained committed to helping the V8.

I have seen nobody else come out with headers for this car...

Ryan

Well hey, thanks for taking the time to clear a few things up, i for one am glad you never got screwd out of anything.

I have no bad blood against eric.
You can re-weld the stock manifolds to position the turbo in the manner that you want. Nothing is stopping anybody from doing it other than the will to do so.

Nowhere did I say there is bad workmanship in that manifold. It's simply not worth the amount of money that is being asked for it. Period.

Don't float your assumptions on what I said. I said exactly what I thouhgt of them & I feel it's the truth. They are priced $1000usd higher than they are worth.

I think the reason why the price is so high has to do with multiple middle men.

Here is my assumption (Dont try to make an Ass out U and ME) of people getting a cut:

Frank
TTC
Local Fabricator if any
MVP

So you basically have 3 other persons doing basically nothing but getting some share of it.

Ryan,

I like you word you used "satisfactory".

I am not going to debate with you what the value of these headers are, nor am I trying to justify Eric's price...Anything being bought is worth absolutely whatever the purchaser is willing to pay for them....I can tel you it cost me more than his price to get the first set made, not because Frank overcharged me because he didn't, but due to the wasted money I spent on the other two dingbat shops that cost me 1.5 years, and a couple grand of wasted money...

If one wanted to use the stock manifolds for a turbo set up, the only way I see that can happen is if they flip them, and heavily modify them to fit, reweld them and then perhaps get them to work. Why would anybody go through the trouble to re-engineer such a poor design??? They would be better off starting from scratch as Lextreme did, and just build a standard log style and going from there...a lot less work, time, and a lot better results...

Ryan

I have no bad blood against eric.
You can re-weld the stock manifolds to position the turbo in the manner that you want. Nothing is stopping anybody from doing it other than the will to do so.

Nowhere did I say there is bad workmanship in that manifold. It's simply not worth the amount of money that is being asked for it. Period.

Don't float your assumptions on what I said. I said exactly what I thouhgt of them & I feel it's the truth. They are priced $1000usd higher than they are worth.

Lex, notice I placed the word "very" in front of satisfactory???

Ryan :happysad:

I think the reason why the price is so high has to do with multiple middle men.

Here is my assumption (Dont try to make an Ass out U and ME) of people getting a cut:

Frank
TTC
Local Fabricator if any
MVP

So you basically have 3 other persons doing basically nothing but getting some share of it.

Ryan,

I like you word you used "satisfactory".

This is what Eric charges for $7700:

"We're interested in releasing a full hit, however the cost is going to be higher. A FULL kit would include

smaller twin turbos,
2 into 1 downpipe,
lines,
dual intakes,
dual filters,
twin manifolds,
dual TIAL wastegates
dual midpipes from turbos to manifolds
ceramic coating or heat wrapping

All of this is we put it out would be in the $7700 area; pretty much on par with the 2jz small twin kits out there. That being said, if there is enough interest, we can get go forward with the complete bolt on kit. It's up to you guys smile.gif"

I'd say $7700 should be a complete running system. I say again: "Complete" from the header gaskets to the intake on a running car, then it might be more realistic. He didn't even mention which turbos & other parts will be used, XS Power or Garrette Ball Bearing..etc. I guess he'll charge more than $10K while the same performance can be had for $5K.

Hey Ryan,

I was just kidding about copying it in China. If there is a demand for it. I would have made it years ago. There are lots of talk but hardly walk. Even the hearders were 1,300. I doubt many people would get it. When it comes to financial commitment most people will be back out. That would suck really bad if he uses SS Autochrom Turbos. LOL. With such high price tag, now MVP is looking very bad. TTC is pushing products via MVP. Since MVP is an Approved Vendor for CL.