Power limit of 1.625" turbo headers

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JBrady

Guess how much power you can make through 1.625" header pipes on a turbo V8?

The following link is for the following specification engine:

Ford Windsor 351 based engine bored and stroked to 427cid / 7 liters.
Twin Precision turbos' 78GTS'S .96 turbine housings
TFS-R heads with 2.125 intake 1.6 exhaust valves flows 360/[email protected]
Cam .050 242/248 .670 lift 114*
TFS-R Shorty headers flipped 1-5/8"
3-1/2" off turbo's to 4" to the rear axle

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9213&start=15

Considerations.

This is a drag racing Mustang.

It has an automatic transmission, high stall converter and racing slicks which would definitely cause a relatively large drivetrain power loss.

That said, this thing still puts down 1382rwhp which is AT LEAST 1500hp at the engine (probably significantly more).

So, these little 1 5/8 header tubes are supporting more or less 200hp EACH tube!

This run was at 30lbs boost and only had 31lbs of backpressure which is very low.

No surprises there J....i try and use 1.25inch ID pipe for a 500cc cylinder. Down to 1 inch for smaller cc. Keep the velocity up and the heat in...all good for a turbo. GT8 runs 1.25 inch ID thick wall pipe and i wouldn't think of going larger until past 1000hp.

Pipes always flow alot more than people think. Just look at intake restrictors for race/rally cars. Pretty standard to make 300hp thru a single 36mm restrictor :)

No surprises there J....i try and use 1.25inch ID pipe for a 500cc cylinder. Down to 1 inch for smaller cc. Keep the velocity up and the heat in...all good for a turbo. GT8 runs 1.25 inch ID thick wall pipe and i wouldn't think of going larger until past 1000hp.

Pipes always flow alot more than people think. Just look at intake restrictors for race/rally cars. Pretty standard to make 300hp thru a single 36mm restrictor :)

Great stuff! Do you have any pictures of your manifolds?

I'm runing 1 1/4 steam pipes into 2" collector before turbo, on a 337 turbo Windsor
Over 700 h.p...With two Precision T3/4 turbo's...

Pipes always flow alot more than people think......

I figured this out when I built my turbo system. I'm running all 8 cylinders into a 2 inch OD pipe that goes for 8 feet before it feeds the turbo.

The car pulls hard all the way to 6900 rpm. Of course, I'm running a measly 6 psi for the moment so there might be some issues as I raise the boost. But the car is putting out over 420 hp at this boost level so, all in all, I'm glad I went with the smaller pipe size.

Attachments

• lx1a.jpg
    lx1a.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 6
small dia turbo headers are greatly overlooked by most (god knows why, usual story i guess)

Keep in mind this engine is 4.0 Ltr 8 cylinder ... You can easy get 450rwkw + from a healthy 4 ltr 6with 1 1/4pipes. Let theexhaust gasses expand in turbine housing. Better low rpm spool... The mustangs use 1 5/8 header, they reverse the std [restrictive] headers and 500 - 1000 h.p with decent block...It's still pulses an under pressure.. Just need to stop thinking what works n/a....
On these 4 valve heads, when I make mine I'll make a collector type reducer from flange to primary to prevent reversion. don't want any turbulence there. plus having flange slightly larger helps prevent reversion, even if further down it [primary] gets a little smaller...
These are still street engines. If they where designed to run constant 6000 to 9000 rpm constantly ! Then that's another story...
The turbo F1 engines had around 35mm pipes for a 1500cc engine, but hardly a street engine...

I don't use really big pipes for my manifold. I keep the driver side stock header, with cross runner of 1.75" merge to the fabricated 1.75" passenger header. These 2 merge into a single 2.5" pipe and run to the turbo. I have instant boost without any lag. I have 2 advanges. First is the fabricated small passenger manifold allow me to install it easily. Second is the the exhaust pressure is quicker eliminating lag. Here's the link: http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7031&page=6