Manual Conversion (SC400)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Small update, dropped the engine and tranny and all associated parts at the shop yesterday that has the hook-up with RPS. Hopefully ill get something back soon. Ill update as i get updated!

I am very interested in seeing some pics of the console and of the clutch pedal. I have a GS and I am thinking about this. I think that guy Eric that was banned was an imposter I think he was missleading a lot of people. I would love to see pics.

Thanks,

BP

sorry i missed your post bmpiazzola, ill try and post some pictures soon!

Small update:
When i went home for winter break i worked on the car a bit (both 6 speed swap and other things im doing at the same time). When i left to come back to school, i left the engine, tranny, and all associated parts with a very reputable shop whom when i talked to, claimed to have contacts with RPS. Anyway, i left it with them, and when i talked to them about a week ago they said they had talked extensively with RPS, and they can make me a flywheel! I could try and do some time of group interest with this to lower cost, but i really don't want to be responsible if they don't fit properly. They said it is going to take about a month for the flywheel to get finished, and when it does, they are going to mate the engine and tranny together for me and check the disengagement point. Good for me, but i still won't even be able to touch it for at least a couple months.... sad. Anyway, i'm pretty happy, and hopefully if this works, lextreme members can benefit from this! They might be able to order a bolt on flywheel and be able to use regular supra clutch options instead of this on/off double disk shenanigans. I shall update when they send me pictures in a month or two, but until then, take care!

~Nick

Nick, I would be very wary of any "commitments" made by, or on behalf of RPS, involving a custom flywheel. Suggest you PM TurboAndrew for his take on this as he's already been down this road with RPS. Don't send those guys any money yet......

On the other hand, I believe QuarterMaster and/or another clutch manufacturer have already made flywheels for some of our members.

Not trying to promote QM or badmouth RPS; just stating some history about this flywheel situation.

cribbj

Thanks for the input, i will PM andrew today. Do you remember what he said about the deal with RPS? I really don't care where i get this flywheel from, as long as its made by a good company, and it works and i can use streetable clutch options with it, ie anything that the stock 2jz can use i want to be able to use. I didnt know QM had made a flywheel? I mean i know they make the button type clutch, but unaware of a flywheel. Ill do a search on here (i feel like a stranger i have to actually search because i frequent so little now...) and see what i can come up with, obviously i missed some options. Do you remember what other companies have made them before for this setup? Thanks for the suggestions as i was about to pay the shop today to order this flywheel.... i'll re-evaluate.

Stick3
I plan to use a stockish type clutch for the 2jz turbo. Right now my car doesn't need anymore than that, no nos, and no boost. I'm not even making what the stock supra tt makes

Hey guys, after a long time away i am briefly back! Its been a real heart ship getting this flywheel done, but at last, it is. I picked it up on monday and i dropped the engine and tranny in the car last night and spent the better part of today trying to figure out why the car wouldn't start (i have now come to the conclusion one of my ignitors went back). But back to the topic you guys want to hear about

So when i saw pictures from the shop before i picked it up, it looked beautiful. It is a very thick piece of aluminum with a steel insert. We had a minor issue but it was sorted out quickly and it bolts up perfectly, and most importantly, so far works perfectly (clutch disengages and the starter works fine, haven't gotten to drive it yet). Here are a couple pictures

n1308120166_30165080_164.jpg

n1308120166_30165081_547.jpg

Here we are in my garage with the flywheel bolted up, looks good. Thanks to Scott for pointing out a little weak spot in the plate, i added the two bolts towards the top because well, i agree with you man. Thanks!
n1308120166_30167972_730.jpg

Here is a close up of the action
n1308120166_30167977_2228.jpg

Anyway, tomorrow i have to pack up and head back down to school. I am most likely bringing the lex with me behind the trusty 4runner, but don't count on another update for at least a week because i have a lot on my plate and i probably wont have time to continue working on it. By the way, does anybody have an idea of where to find the 12v A/C turn on wire inside the cabin? Is there one?

Lastly, once i have my car running (as soon as possible even with being busy!) i will tell you guys where to get these. I just want to make sure it works before anybody else spends their money. Good thing is, you will only have to wait 2 weeks before you get yours, i had to wait 6 months! Anyway, I have a few wiring questions for you scott if you don't mind when i get back on here tomorrow or on sunday.

thanks guys! Wouldn't be this far with all of you! Ill repost once i get a driveshaft made

No problem, Ask away.
That is a nice looking flywheel! I love it. We need to compare notes. My engine is coming out and I have a chance to change anything I want then.

Well hey man, once i get it running ill let you know how she runs! Right now im waiting on a guy to build me a one piece aluminum driveshaft, well see where i sit at the end of this week. Hopefully it will be in the mail by then... I will say that she starts great and i thought we were going to have a problem with the throw out bearing but i think it is working itself out. Ill try to get some video up some time, right now i have no idea how to deal with this AVCHD format.

So anybody have any clue about that AC turn on wire? I tried to find it inside the stock fan controller box but no luck. Found the OEM temp sensor wire and an accessory power wire, but no AC kick on wire?

Ill keep ya posted!

No, it came from some shop in california and i forgot the name, but when i see if it works ill find it out and post back up here for sure. This conversion will be much easier with this flywheel. Anyway, so i ordered my drive shaft today (aluminum 1-piece) and it soon be in by next week! Ill post up some pictures and maybe a video when she is running.

i did not specify that thickness no, but in a way i did. See that flywheel had to stick out decently far from the crank in order for the stock clutch system to work properly. The offset from the adaptor plates is the culprit. I guess they could have tapered it off to save weight and designed it a little different, but to be honest, i like it that way. I wont ever have to worry about warping it and it is heavy enough so i dont hear ANY transmission chatter that is so common on lightweight setups on v160s.

i did not specify that thickness no, but in a way i did. See that flywheel had to stick out decently far from the crank in order for the stock clutch system to work properly. The offset from the adaptor plates is the culprit. I guess they could have tapered it off to save weight and designed it a little different, but to be honest, i like it that way. I wont ever have to worry about warping it and it is heavy enough so i dont hear ANY transmission chatter that is so common on lightweight setups on v160s.

I will be really interested to hear your results and sooner than later. I was under the impression that it is more than just flywheel weight that eliminates the noise. The stock Supra flywheel is a Dual mass flywheel that actually allows the enging to be isolated from the transmission. It is actually a very complex device. Here is a overveiw of how it looks and works.
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/luk_dual_mass_flywheel/index.html
Please update me ASAP on your results as I may be interested in doing a flywheel like yours if it gets rid of the transmission rattle.

Right now, at idle with the tranny engaged or not engaged i don't hear any rattle of any sort. Now once i get the car moving and drive it around a bit maybe a rattle will develop, and if that is the case i will definitely let you know. Right now, next week my drive shaft should be here and i will post up results; maybe i'll try and see if i can host a video so you can hear it yourself.

Funny, i have waited over a year now for this project to fall into place and be done, but this last week is going to be torture!

Right now, at idle with the tranny engaged or not engaged i don't hear any rattle of any sort. Now once i get the car moving and drive it around a bit maybe a rattle will develop, and if that is the case i will definitely let you know. Right now, next week my drive shaft should be here and i will post up results; maybe i'll try and see if i can host a video so you can hear it yourself.

Funny, i have waited over a year now for this project to fall into place and be done, but this last week is going to be torture!

Thats a good deal! You would hear it at idle for sure. Send me a email or PM about this flywheel set up. Thanks, Scott
scott AT full-vision DOT com

Interesting! Most Supra owners who experience this rattle, have changed from their stock dual mass LUK flywheel, to a lightweight flywheel. Then, when/if the rattle gets to be too much for them, they simply go back to the stock flywheel.

From memory, I don't know of anyone who has tried a nonstock, heavier flywheel and saying that it helped the noise.

BTW, the best conditions to reproduce the rattle are: At idle, in neutral, with the clutch released (foot off the clutch).

So perhaps the dual mass construction of the LUK isn't the key to the noise elimination after all, and it's simply the weight of the flywheel that does the trick. Nick, did you weigh your flywheel before you mounted it?

How about some details of your clutch also? That looks like a hydraulic release bearing in one of the photos?

Scott, why is your engine comming out? Sorry if I missed something. I have been MIA the last couple months

I have a new engine setup that is going in. I have not really published the details of the build but what I will say is more is better, More CC's, More boost = More HP!

Interesting! Most Supra owners who experience this rattle, have changed from their stock dual mass LUK flywheel, to a lightweight flywheel. Then, when/if the rattle gets to be too much for them, they simply go back to the stock flywheel.

From memory, I don't know of anyone who has tried a nonstock, heavier flywheel and saying that it helped the noise.

BTW, the best conditions to reproduce the rattle are: At idle, in neutral, with the clutch released (foot off the clutch).

So perhaps the dual mass construction of the LUK isn't the key to the noise elimination after all, and it's simply the weight of the flywheel that does the trick. Nick, did you weigh your flywheel before you mounted it?

How about some details of your clutch also? That looks like a hydraulic release bearing in one of the photos?

I had always heard the same thing, this infomation is of great intrest to me, If I could get rid of the rattle, I would be 100% satisfied with my 6-speed Lexus!