Manual trans conversion "gotchas"! (96 SC400 donor car)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JKav

I'm in the process of retrofitting a 1UZ midships into a Subaru Brat (aka Brumby). It's mated to an Audi 012 (aka Porsche G86) manual transaxle.

The donor is a 1996 SC400. I have the complete car, down to every last wire and sensor and nut and bolt. I have the factory wiring diagrams. The stock 1UZ, ECU/sensors and wiring is being used in the transplant. Nothing of the Brat need be retained save for the body shell.

Finally, here's my question -- what wiring steps are needed to allow the engine to start/run normally in the absence of the automatic gearbox? I've searched, but it turns out that info on manual trans conversions for the later (OBD-II) 1UZ cars like this one is scarce.

Background - ECU label reads:
Toyota 89661-24453
175000-9270 12V
IUZ-FE 52

Engine label reads 1uz-Z83

[Also, this a race car so OBD-II compliance is not necessary; check engine lights are fine as long as they don't put the engine in limp-home mode or open loop fueling or similar.]

Cheers

Pull the plug off the auto transmissin selector switch put in a fuse so the ecu thinks it is in neutral. Job done.

Sounds like a fun conversion.

u dont even have to do that
ive never bridged out those wires
just run 12v start signal to the sta wire
and remove the nsw wire from the ecu

Either way will work, Sideshows is better as you can then remove all of the auto trans wiring loom. The fuse in the trans plug is the lazy quick way.

Either way will work, Sideshows is better as you can then remove all of the auto trans wiring loom. The fuse in the trans plug is the lazy quick way.

I didn't even do that, I just twisted the wires together and taped it up..... next one I won't be doing that though.

yes joining wires together has to be done on factory lexus cars
ive never had issues on a 1uz but i have had issues on a 1jz in a
conversion where it would have a 4000 rpm limit when those 2 wires
were joined as the way i did it was giving me feedback somewhere
and the ecu thought it was in neutral all the time so it had this rev limit

this 4000 rev limit is factory ecu settings when in park or neutral but only
on some ecus so im always weary how i wire them up
its something u learn over time

When I do a manual loom for a conversion I open them up and remove all the trans loom.

If its a race vehicle I always use an aftermarket ECU as they are simplier and you get more power and better reliability.

Cheers

Also, for anyone wanting to make their own 1UZ to Audi 012 gearbox adapter & flywheel, this kind soul posted up his drawings online:
http://guerillamotive.com/wordpress/?page_id=183

I asked him nicely for them and that was his response! :)

Had a couple made up, typical thing being not that much more expensive for a couple than for one so have one to sell if anyone wants one in the UK.

DSC07810.jpg

I'm just waiting on bolts so I can actually trial fit the gearbox (although its a 01E rather than 012)