Manual Conversion (SC400)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Cant wait! I plan on starting mine soon. Did the shifter come through the stock console position?

not exactly.... haha

n1308120166_30105212_2706.jpg

n1308120166_30105213_2975.jpg

You will have to do some cutting, i used an angle grinder

This will also be something you will have to deal with somehow, im debating my options right now... this is the transmission mounting plate.

n1308120166_30105210_2176.jpg

Is the plastic console going to work or is it going to take a custome one?

Also,
Did you use the adaptor ring that Eric is selling?

Yeah the plastic console should work, the leather boot will adjust just fine i think. And yeah, i am using the adapter ring. Kind of funny that the distance my transmission mount is off by is the same thickness as the adapter plates... lol

I think I will get a block of aluminum and start blanking one out. Lucky I have a bridgeport mill in my shop.

you will need a decent size piece of aluminum. Im thinking im just going to fabricate another mounting plate, then when i go back to school make myself a nice one off the CNC machine.

Dude's this is alot of work... Alot of custom fabbing and what not... I had the notion that everything would pretty much bolt right in...Not the case from what you guys are saying...

Is this swap becoming way more involved then you originally anticipated?

Dude's this is alot of work... Alot of custom fabbing and what not... I had the notion that everything would pretty much bolt right in...Not the case from what you guys are saying...

Is this swap becoming way more involved then you originally anticipated?

No not really, i knew nothing would bolt up properly, but that should always be expected when it comes to working on cars!

Barry: No, sorry i do not

Scott: My project was put on hold before i was able to get as far as the driveshaft. My work stopped when school began, and it has been on hold for about 4 months, school is not easy, but im learning a lot (which is the point i guess?). You are almost at the point i am, and i feel like you will beat me! I cant start again untill finals are over and im back home. Due to time issues, over thanksgiving break (this week) i will be dropping my engine and transmission off at a shop to have them finish the mock up of my flywheel. Once it is done, ill ship it off somewhere so someone can copy it. I will be able to try and work through this project with you once the semester is done, wish it could be sooner! I know a little bit about the wiring, but i've forgotten most of it since the summer and i plan to just figure it out again over break. Taking circuits and physics II helps a little bit, school is doing its job! (but man... electronics is not for me)

it is typical sc400 project as all turbo/ manual sc400 projects I saw before. it goes as all before I saw .... to nowhere...
for that reason I change my belowed useless (totally useless) 1uzfe engine and put 1jz gte engine. Now I have gt35r turbo, manual transmission (R 154 with triple hks gd pro clutch) and all fits without any hedache (any). Strongly advice you same way. You will not be dissapointed. 1uz looks great in my basement now. it is great engine but totally useless. even nobody want buy it from me for any cash. best wishes for everyone for new year. sorry for being little sarcastic

Wow, that's kinda Harsh. Perhaps you should keep that to yourself. This is a V8 forum. I personally like the 1UZ engine, There are thousands of 1JZ powered performance vehicles out there, and there is no argument that they make power, but who cares, its like owning a mustang, everyones got one. Now on the other hand, a guy that is successful building a performance 1UZ, that is awsome.
Sorry if you don't like it and can't get excited about the V8's but maybe you need to move your feelings to a different forum.

Just my 2 cents.

Scott, jtjerry has been pretty bummed out since he began a 1UZ project a couple years ago with great enthusiasm, but then wasn't able to find a lot of aftermarket parts or support for it.

Jerry, I hope that's a fair summary of what happened to your project?

It's very true that if you venture into a 1UZ project, there's going to be "some" fabrication involved. How much depends on what you're trying to do, and where you're located.

Turbocharging and a manual conversion are probably two of the most challenging projects someone could undertake, and being in Eastern Europe means there's probably not a large user base for support.

Well, I guess I understand his feelings. Me? I guess I like the challenge, its more a matter of risk and reward. It is a lot of work but thats what makes the outcome so exciting!

I do not intend to agr with anybody.

after two years of seaching and preparing I ended with all perf bits (turbo, fmic bov wgates and so on) and modify my sc400 aluminium crossmenber to clerance route of two turbo manifold from engine to front of engine to turbocharger, But there is to little space between engine and radiator especially with hydrofan so I decided move radiator more forward and tilt it. but there is problem: can fydrofan work in more horizontial position?

So I thinking: ok I will made turbo, what next? What fuel management? AEM? can it work with two dizzes in 1uz? nobody konws...
will 1uz headgasket will be durable with boost? nobody knows,
will a340 stay alive?
I do not want automatic so only option was cowboybebop plate to v160 (700$+3000 for tranny) or aussie bellhousing but not chance use stock type pull type clutch so only weak w58 style clutch option, how much it can wihtstand?
Too much guessing and no proof succes stories there. So I left legend in my basement. I bought 1jz engine cheap. Put on it gt35r turbo. buy JZ r154 stock toyota bellhousing and triple gd pro hks clutch and 154 supra tranny. all become working.
I do not like 1uz? Not it is not true: I like it very much but too much hedache with it. and no succes stories. I do not want war there but if someone talking that 1jz do not make power it is simple no true. It make very stable 450-500 rwhp and that is a lot for me because I start from 180 rwhp 1uzfe engine. So yes, I will be very happy with 450-500 rwhp...
So another year with performance 1uz family now ends.. and what was made in 2007? how much succes stories there? as much as in 2006 and 2005 and 2004 and 2003...
of course it is nice have strong v8 engine but 1uz simple do not like be on performance side. 2008 begin few days: will see what will be done next year.
Happy new year for everyone. I REALLY will be proud to see FI 1uz with manual tranny.

Ok guys lets keep this thread about X i R's manual swap. I for one applaud Nick for going as far as he could in the time he had. He is a college kid! He was attending college outside of his home town and thus unable to work on his car at all! But he kept pushing, taking whatever steps forward he could when he was home. Not only does he have little time to work on his SC, but he also has to watch is bank account as he is attending a university. So i look forward to the progress he is going to make on his car.

jtjerry, I can only imagine how much tougher is may have been to try and build a 1UZ granted your location. I am glad and thank You for being a 1UZ fan in Poland! Even in the US, its next to impossible. As for 08, boy its going to be a fun filled year. As for stories from 06, 05, 04, 03?? Don't forget Lextreme himself testing all those different setups on his LS. First the Twin Turbo, then the blower and then the big single turbo. David blew 3 transmissions in his LS, so everyone got an idea how much abuse it would take. There have also been many low key entusiests out there steadily building there cars. So even though you have put off your project, please be sure to stop by this site to take a look at the accomplishments that will be made. Who knows, maybe you will restart your 1UZ project in 08 as the aftermarket begins to fill with 1UZ parts :)

You guys know me well, just like yourselves!

jtjerry, these guys are right, its all about the challenge, and what originality you have accomplished when you are done. Anybody can build a civic with all bolt on parts.... can you turbo a sc400 is the real question... :). I feel like the challenge is much more respected basically.

Anyway... progress.... feels like that word has been lost to me! Its impossible to do this when i live 400 miles away from home. With no second car... (Just got a second car 2 weeks ago though!) BUT, i have good news, and at this good news, i feel like an idiot...

My "progress": (yes, i am poking fun at myself)

For about 1 month + i have been trying to get that QM clutch because i was facing reality; i dont have enough time to develop a flywheel. But my winter break is now running short, and if i cant get this damn clutch i needed to do SOMETHING. So tonight i worked diligently, and bolted up my re-drilled 2jz flywheel with the stock starter gear removed. Then i bolted up the clutch i originally planned to use. I figure what the hell, lets see how far off the disengagement point was with stock specs. It DISENGAGED when i pushed the pedal all the way down. STOCK!!! I could have done that over the summer months ago. So while i am now happy, i do feel like an idiot. I guess it was God's way of saying, don't use the QM and just do what you were going to do originally. So tomorrow (God willing if i can finish all my errands first) I'm going to a shop with everything, see what they think. I'd like to get the disengagement point a little before the pedal is fully depressed, so we'll see what needs to be done, but that should be small adjustments. The last thing is getting to see how the ring gear will align, i might as well try it on the stock 2jz location and see where it gets me, cant be too far off. After that, ill have the shop order me a flywheel with my specs and ring gear from RPS and the next time i have to work on it is.... summer. Great huh? At least i should have a flywheel waiting for me... lol.

Sorry guys, I'm getting a little pessimistic right now because of my frustration with time and generally where i now live. Maybe i'll make the 6 hour drive back to work on it when i have a weekend free or something...

Ill update with "progress" in about two weeks and ill post where i am with the flywheel.

Scott, awesome progress with your clutch! I absolutely did not have time to get stuff made from a machine shop, glad its working out for you though. Please continue with your real progress!

~Nick

Small update, dropped the engine and tranny and all associated parts at the shop yesterday that has the hook-up with RPS. Hopefully ill get something back soon. Ill update as i get updated!