1UZ-FE dyno day, 127 to 180 rwkW N/A

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

uzz32pete

Hi everyone,
we had a dyno day in Adelaide last weekend for Toyota Soarers. Plenty of V8's attended.
Stock V8's started at 127 rwkW (170 rwhp) and ended around 139 rwkW (186 rwhp) with just a rear muffler change.

V8 with a BFI and a split system (no balance pipe) and a pair of straight through Lukey mufflers (Dynomax) pulled a 149.7 rwkW (200.7 rwhp).

My V8 auto Soarer pulled 180 rwkW (241 rwhp) - roughly a 33% increase over a "stock" V8. Main mods include BFI3, headers, Unichip, x-pipe exhaust with straight through mufflers and custom exhaust camshafts.

Pics of the day can be viewed at planetsoarer.com - there is a dyno library as well.

Go the the V8!

WDoherty said:
Nice power, what rpm did it peak, and who made the camshafts?

Your questions and MUCH more are answered at Peter's site www.planetsoarer.com

Pete,

VERY NICE...

The last I checked I thought you were more around 160rwkw. What has changed (I should probably take my own advise and read your site again)

I'll have to work the rpm out - I have a twin turbo TORSEN diff with 275 17 inch tyres run in third gear (1:1?) on the auto. Roller speed is recorded, not rpm.

The 180 was recorded minutes after other V8's had pulled 130's - so it is a good comparision.

I guess I wanted to see what the motor and auto trans could put out in best possible scenario. I didn't achieve this though for some little reasons.

Many people buy a 1UZ-FE and stick it in a project car. They may only run an alternator and nothing else.

In no particular order I did a bunch of things for the 180.

Zero weight full synthetic oil and new filter. 0W-30 FUCHS engine oil the night before - always good for a few kWs.
No air filter -might be a little bit there.
BFI 3 intake -nothing beats it.
Long tube 4-2-1 headers ceramic coated - fabulous
My circuit racing exhaust which is no cats, a custom 10 inch long merge pipe with no cross over, no loss of area and small join area. I have found no difference running cats or not - but I have oversized twin cats on my street setup. There may be some power difference between different X-pipe configurations - haven't quantified any yet.
2.5 inch straight through mufflers and mild steel pipe.
Stock throttle body and intake manifold and resonator.
Stock heads
Stock intake cams
Custom exhaust cams - mild - not worth the money for my spec - a few kW perhaps.
Unchip bumped up to 7.3 degrees advance over stock Toyota maps. For pump fuel I run 6 degrees advance for a nice safe tune with extra pep.
Unichip trimmed Air/Fuel raito to maximise power.
ELF racing fuel - the Turbo Max stuff - nearly 6 times dearer than high octance pump fuel - not worth it as we couldn't dial in enough advance to get anywhere near detonation - more power available there - perhaps another 5-8 rwkW available.
No serpentine belts. Since water pump is driven by the timing belt and the big battery copes without the Alternator for a bit it all works ok. Unknown how much power this saves.
No suspension pump belt - no-one cares about this much as there are only a rare handful of Soarers with an oil suspension pump. Don't know how much power this saves.
Car was left to cool down for 3 hours before dyno run - but it appeared to be up to temp by time power run was done. Don't know if any difference.
Stock injectors.
Stock earthing points.
No turbonator/hi-clone.
No tin treatment fuel conditioner.
No oil additives
Stock toyota sparkplugs and leads(wires)
Stock fuel pump
Synthetic diff oil in TORSEN diff.
Type IV trans fluid in stock trans with oil cooler.
TRAC off - it won't get started at all with it on naturally.
Power switch or ECT switch to NORM - helps prevent car kicking down to 2nd gear during run.
Tyres pumped up to 55 psi to reduce drag and friction resistance on the dyno roller.
Stock ECU with only Unichip acting as an interceptor. No other electrical mods.
Car was displaying fault codes for no pump and no alternator but didn't go into limp home mode.

Headers, Unichip, exhaust, BFI are the major players. The 2nd placed V8 at 150 didn't have Unichip or Headers.

So it was getting the big stuff right and a bunch of small stuff with some careful prep to crack the 180 or 240 rwhp.

Peter,

VERY nice effort. Up almost 17rwkw from last test, very nice.

I looked for pictures of your track exhaust. Do you have them posted somewhere?

BTW, the shorty headers are now in production. Added 27rwhp and 16rwtq peak and 43rwhp and 37rwtq at around 5500rpm to a supercharged GS400 car. Peak numbers before headers was 312rwhp/301rwtq at 6.5psi and a very fat 10.5 A/F ratio. After the headers it dyno'd 339rwhp/316rwtq with 1/2 psi less boost and the same A/F reading. A strange glich caused a peak power drop or it probably would have been 350rwhp. Also, this was with the stock 50mm pipes feading the single 60mm center and without tuning. He will step up on the center pipe diameter from 2.36" to 2.625" hoping to top the 350rwhp and it may top 360+. You may wish to add these headers to your (otherwise haha) excellent header section.

Choke on the smoke - please reveal more details. I would love to get that out of my LS400. I also have just received my M90 supercharger and was going to get all the parts asap. I would have been happy with those LS400 result with a supercharger on it, and you got in n/a.

What's the secrets.

Kev

Choke on the smoke - please reveal more details. I would love to get that out of my LS400. I also have just received my M90 supercharger and was going to get all the parts asap. I would have been happy with those LS400 result with a supercharger on it, and you got in n/a.

What's the secrets.

Kev

Ok heres the secrets. intake totaly remove everything from throttle body to the air filter. Make a custom 3.5 inch intake from the throttle body to the air flow meter tapered at both ends. Make an adaptor to mount a pod filter to airflow meter. Elcose this in a cold air box. Remove traction control butterfly from throttle body if fitted. remove exhaust gas recerc system. fit some of our 1 5/8 primary non tuned legth 4 into 1 headers remove the whole exhaust system including cats and throw it in the bin. Fit one of our custom mandrel bent 2.5 inch to 3inch back to twin 2.5 inch exhaust systems. fit chapion C59 spark plugs. fit a new fuel filter. fit new spark plug leads. if fitted with viscous fan remove and fit electric fans. fill up tank with 98 octane. last of skid the crap out of it.

M90 super charger should gain you at least 250kw at the wheels we have fitted them and achieved this easy. I take it your getting it from bullet cars.

Just before any one says our dyno is all ****. It has been caliberated and a lot of the top drag and circuit cars use it for tuning and there results have been checked against other dynos and the power is always within 1-2%.

What temperature do you correct to ?

Do you mean the corection factor for our dyno or for ambient air temp v humidity. As this makes no real difference as to end figure as air temp can be any where between 12-24 degrees in the dyno cell depending on day and any where between 20-60% humidty. The temp and humidty are always taken on the day and entred into the dyno program at time of power run. This same car has shown the same figures within 2% on seprate days and on different dynos.

just a as a note basicly if we cant get over 175kw at wheels on a standard 1uzfe powered car or one of our conversions eg hilux or surf or hiace or whatever then there is somthing wrong. It does take a lot more work to do with a standard ecu as this power is easy to get with just about no mods on a stadard car with just a link ecu and the removale of the air flow meter as link ecus are map sensor.

I have spent many years playing with 1u engines and I think mainly why others around the world struggle to get the power is because of your exhaust emission regulations and the fact that we dont have any so we tune to the max with no cats to resrict us

Just find it a bit strange that our first engine with 50mm slide plate ITB's, dry sumped, open exhaust system, M800 Motec, std heads and cams, with no auxiliarys could only manage 231kw (307bhp) at the flywheel on an engine dyno.
Corrected to 25deg C and 29.92" pressure.

Just find it a bit strange that our first engine with 50mm slide plate ITB's, dry sumped, open exhaust system, M800 Motec, std heads and cams, with no auxiliarys could only manage 231kw (307bhp) at the flywheel on an engine dyno.
Corrected to 25deg C and 29.92" pressure.

Ok I dont want to affend any one but that is a very poor figure. I have listed a few of the basic mods to engines we build below to show figures that are easly got.

Stage 1
standard 1uzfe engine
cams
cold air intake
4 into 1 headers
link ecu
205kw @ wheels @ 7450rpm

stage 2
standard 1uzfe engine
cams
8 throttle bodys on custom intake manifold
balanced bottom end
shot peened rods with arp bolts
4 into 1 cross over headers
link ecu
292kw @ wheels @ 7800rpm

NZ super stock engine
balanced bottom end
shot peened rods and arp bolts
cams
hirise single plane intake manifold
demon 750 oval track carb
link g3 lem for igniton
4 into 1 headers
wet sump
230kw @ wheels @ 8150rpm

This is just a few basic examples and I have not given cam specs or a few secrets that I will keep to myself. It is totaly your choice if you chose to belive me or not as I dont realy care as we have the cars to prove it and the smile on the customers face as they win races.

?? Kevin Band thought it was OK for stock heads and cams.
Just saying that dyno figures from OZ and NZ dont seem to be close.
Again asking what temperature and pressure are your figures corrected to ?

?? Kevin Band thought it was OK for stock heads and cams.
Just saying that dyno figures from OZ and NZ dont seem to be close.
Again asking what temperature and pressure are your figures corrected to ?

Sorry for got to answer that. I will find an old dyno sheet for the ls400.

That is a nice looking engine and Im certailny confused as to why it doesnt make one hell of a lot more power have you had it in a car.

Our nz super stock engines and other builders like CSL and DANBY'S and HARCOURT normaly make 290kw on engine dynos.

I am very confused to what is going on here The figures just dont stack up for what you have built. all I can put it down to is conservative tuning or an engine dyno thats not caliberated or somthing as the figures are to diffrent