1984 4Runner 1UZ cooling setups??

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

live4soccer7

I'm at the stage of my swap in my 84 4runner to get the cooling situated. I have read some many different things out there about cooling setups and how it can be a tricky part of the swap to get right as well. What have you guys done in a similar vehicle that is working well for you? I'm trying to avoid having to go back and redo it. Thanks for any input.

So I'm considering going with this fan from a 2004 mini cooper turbo.

Any opinions on the setup?

Last edited by a moderator:
At this point, I'm more concerned about the radiator choice than the fan. I'll find a fan once I have an adequate radiator. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I run stock radiators without too many issues in most cases. My prefered fans are Virgo or spal but have been running some comex ones lately. I try to get around 3000cfm if I can but the last setup had a 16inch comex with 2150cfm and it worked well. Presently doing a hydraulic fan on the back of a radiator with a pair of 12 inch comex rated at 1250ish for the a/c fans. So far so good but will know how it goes with more testing.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to go with this radiator: http://www.griffinrad.com/load_deta...221-XS&year=All&make=Chevy, Dodge&model=Racer

It is a dual pass 2 row aluminum radiator that has more surface area than the stock radiators that go in the existing vehicle. 22R/22RE radiators. It will be a custom mount. What are your thoughts on the radiator?

I will be able to push it forward so that it will sit on the front part of the frame where the bumper mounts.

We have used a few griffin Radiators and they seem to be pretty good quality compared to some out there. The 26 inch wide unit is a squeeze but we have made them fit. I do like the twin pass items.

Thanks for the confidence in my choice. I think the fit will make it worth it. The ford contour fans (late 90's) will fit perfectly and will wire right up to the lexus fan wiring that I have left in tact during the electrical part of the swap.

You wouldn't have any photos of your griffin 26" radiator swap, would you? Curious on your mounting setup and overall fitment. It does fit right in between the body mounts after some good trimming.

Haven't found the Griffen photos yet but have found this truck with a US style 26 inch Radiator in it. It was pretty much the same mounting as the griffen. After a while all the conversions start to look the same and I lose track of many of the photos I have taken. Hope these help

Attachments

• september stuff - lextreme 442.jpg
    september stuff - lextreme 442.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 30
  • september stuff - lextreme 446.jpg
    september stuff - lextreme 446.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 32
  • september stuff - lextreme 447.jpg
    september stuff - lextreme 447.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 30
  • september stuff - lextreme 448.jpg
    september stuff - lextreme 448.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 27
Thanks for the photos!

Two questions. What oil housing is that? I've utilized the SC400 one and it seems to be perfect. I'm curious, really.

Do you always use pusher fans?

The oil filter housing is one I sell. I have two versions of it , straight out the front and 45 degrees upwards.

My fan choice varies but most of the early ones get pushers. Later trucks have more room so the generally get pullers or sometimes both. Just finishing one at the moment with the hydro unit.

Awesome! Do you prefer to use pushers/pullers given you have room? I have the option to do one or the other, depending on how I mount the radiator.

I'll have to recommend your oil filter housing on my build thread for those looking for something a little more compact.

Given room I tend towards pullers in a full surround allowing for full frontal exposure of the radiator to airflow with the air channeled through the fan so it maximises the fans effort.

Cheers for the recommendation on the oil filter block. They work really well.

Here is a hilux I have just done. Puller fan on the back in a full surround which is the main cooling fan. Twin 12 inch on the front for the a/c fans and they also click in 2 degrees after the main fan when the a/c isn't on. So far the main cooling fan comes on for about 5 seconds to drop the temp a couple of degrees before switching off again.

Attachments

• july work 010.jpg
    july work 010.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 26
  • camera clean july 064.jpg
    camera clean july 064.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 27
  • july work 043.jpg
    july work 043.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 26
You are welcome for the recommendation. You have been a great help through my swap.

Very nice setup! Thanks for the pics and suggestions.