1984 MA61 (MKII) Supra Diff

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Brendan E

Hi all,

I stumbled across this forum last night while doing some homework on my conversion, and within 2 hours had 90% of my questions answered (and was amazed had how many of these comversions had been done). I still have a few questions left, firstly, this is what my final objective will be:

I'm in the process of working out a budget (no haven't even got the car yet) to drop a 1UZ-FE V8 into a 1984 MA61 Supra. I'll be mating an R154 5 speed to it as I'll eventually be putting some above average hp through it.

I searched everywhere on this forum but couldn't find any info on diffs people use. I've found a few sites where people have done this conversion into MKIII Supras and kept the standard diff though.

What I want to know is, are the standard MA61 diffs able to handle around 350kw's? or would it be wise to swap it out for something better? maybe a MKIII turbo diff? is there any differences between the two? and would it be easy to swap them over?

This car will be a daily driver/track car so will have to handle some abuse, I don't want to have to baby it around a race track because of the drivetrain.

Thanks in advance guys.

Brendan.

i dont think the diffs are the same... i would be careful even with a mk3 turbo diff pushing around 350kw... it isnt the kw to be afraid of, it's the torque....

myself, im using a supra mk4 TT 3.2:1 torsen diff.... should handle heaps, but isnt indestructable like everything else...

im sure you'll be able to get your questions answered eventually (probably really quick)... if not, try toymods... not up to this forums standard, but still a knowledgeable bunch (ignoring the dumb remarks you normally get).

btw, welcome, and good luck with your conversion.

Thanks R-Jay,

I thought I would have to change it out, I guess that leaves the question, how similar are these diffs with regard to mounting points?

I have a 1985 MA67 Supra... with a 4.10 LSD... the MK67 diff is not that strong as a MKIV supra diff... it is a 7.5 2 pinion LSD if your car is equipped with LSD... well the best upgrade we have done is to get a taller diff ratio to the like of 3.727 3.50 3.42 3.24... so to the likes of a 1UZFE and a R154 combo with be suitable with a 3.50 3.42 3.24... and this gear ratio's is hard to find in the US but I would think it would be far more easier for you guys... as for the LSD unit ... we swap this out in favor for the TRUE TRAC unit... it uses a pinion sytem LSD... and great for track use... no clutch packs to slip or spider gears to explode... it is being used now by a fellow MA61 member at austrialia... http://www.norbie.net on his 1984 MA61 2JZGTE supra.... using a 3.50 diff ration...

to learn more about the true trac install and benifits... visit our website at http://www.celicasupra.com .... this website is dedicated to MA6x Supra

Brendan

I am in Perth and I have swapped a 1uz into my MX73 Cressida (basically a 4 door supra), and I will be swapping a 1uz into an MA61 Supra in about a month.

I can basically walk you through the whole conversion from start to finish, on all aspects.

PM me.

R-Jay said:
im using a supra mk4 TT 3.2:1 torsen diff.... should handle heaps, but isnt indestructable like everything else...

How strong are the factory MKIV Supra diffs?
I know of one here in N.Z. that they broke whilst doing around 200kmh in 4th gear, snapped the car sideways and they were lucky to keep it off the wall
They were running around 400rwkw

Logan

The Supra that blew that diff runs low 10's but they have been running the same diff for quite a long time now I think, and it does see some fairly heavy work
(The driver has a liking for burnouts)

Logan