Getrag 6 speed to 1/2/3UZ

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

turboandrew

OK, making good progress on the adapter to mate the Getrag 6 speed found in 1993-1998 Toyota Supra Turbos to the 1/2/3UZ engine. First, some background:

My original intention was to mill of the existing flange on the 6 speed, have a new flange CNC milled to match the V8, then weld on the new flange to the 6 speed. I finally decided against this because the flange was going to end up really thick (1.75") and I was concerned about welding the flange. If I ever decided to make more of these and sell them, I didn't think asking the buyer to mill off the old flange and have the new one placed in a precise manner (ususally take a spare block with the rear side facing up) and welded would be practical. So , I worked on a new design which doe snot require any welding at all.

Luckly, the space needed between the 6 speed and the V8 is an extra 3/4". This is because the inline 6 (2JZGTE) has a flange which sticks out 3/4" more relative to the end of the crankshaft, compared to the V8. In order to have the input shaft in the right place, abot 1/2" in the pilot bearing, one needs 3/4" gap between the V8 and the 6 speed. This was a perfect opportunity to make an adapter plate that accepts the two different bolt patterns.

One (big) problem: at least four of the bolt holes on both the V8 and the 6 speed overlap. It is not possible to have both parts bolt into or through a common adapter plate. The bolts would run right into each other. You could rotate the transmission over a bit, but I found that totally unacceptable. I did not want the shifter angle to change and I did not want to redesign the transmission mount. So, after some brainstorming, I came up with a new adapter: A two piece adapter.

The adapter is not complete, but I am very close. The idea is to have the bolts which overlap go through just one plate. Where that happens, there will be other bolts, not used to bolt the tranny/V8 together, but to hold the two plates together. In other areas where the V8/tranny bolts do not overlap, any given bolt will use both plates. On the engine bolt patten, the bolt will go through both plates ( the bolt head is recessed in the "top" plate), and threaded into the engine. On the tranny, the bolt will go through the transmission, the "top" plate, the be threaded into the "bottom" plate.

Take a look at the four pictures. On the second one, the bottom plate is mounted. Now, four bolts from each of the V8 and tranny overlap here. So, the four bolts for the V8 (two on top, two on bottom) go though the bottom plate (the heads are recessed to not interfere with the top plate) and threaded into the V8. On the third photo, the top plate is installed, and the remaining V8 bolts are installed (all heads recessed). On the fourth picture, the tranny is installed. The four bolts on the top and bottom of the tranny are the ones which overlap, so they go through the tranny and are threaded into the top plate. Now, in those areas, there will be some extra bolts which hold the two plates securely together. Finally, all of the other tranny bolts go through the tranny, through the top plate, and are threaded into the bottom plate. That's about it!

I still need to drill and tap all the tranny bolt holes/threads, so don't go looking for them yet! I need to get a couple of drill bits and taps this week, so hopefully next weekend I can get this done!

Final picture is the mill in action. It an take a loooong time to cut a 3/4" deep circle!

Outstanding! Are you planning on selling these to V160 owners also? I am contemplating a 'Uz-fe swap next year sometime, and this item would be essential.

Eric

Nice work Andrew.... You are a Lextremer for sure. Keep up the good and we are very interested purchasing your adapter. I am the to line up....

No doubt. :) Just 3 liters is fun to play with, and in the Supra comminity, people go nuts for a 3.4 litre stroker. I can only imagine the great spool time of the 4.7 litre paired with two GT35Rs, and the MASSIVE top end the comes with it.

Eric

Thanks all. I am not sure if I will be selling these, or at least I don't want to make any promises just yet. Let's see how it works. I plan on putting through a lot of abuse!

Cowboy Bebop, that's exactly why I am doing this. I had twin HKS turbos on the 2JZGTE, and while they spooled "OK" (15 psi at 4200 rpm), I want that instant response -Basically a Venon 650R powerband in a Supra.

I here ya man, my GT47 88mm make full boost in second (the intown racing gear) at around 6000. I'm looking for much more low end, and much earlier spool.

Eric

1UZ starter. I have not milled out the area in the adapter to clear the starter yet (but it's no big deal to do). I will be using a 2JZGTE flywheel with a proper bolt pattern for a 1UZ and a ring gear for a 1UZ. If there is enough demand for the flywheel I'm sure RPS could make more.

So any 2JZ-Gte flywheel won't fit the 1uz? I'm no fan of RPS products since being a victim of an RPS 6 puck explosion that detroyed everything in the bellhousing. Their Carbon Carbon clutch has failed many times in the 2JZ comminuity as the HP rises.

Eric

You can start with a 2JZGTE fhywheel, but, you need a different bolt pattern to bolt to the crankshaft, and you need a larger ring gear. Anyone who offers custom flywheels can probably do it. IMO, it would be nice to have the tilton one adapted to work. I am using a "standard" lightweight flywheel since there are so many clutches and pressure plates out there. For your HP goals I would think you would need at least a feramic or similar clutch and heavy duty pressure plate, if not a doulbe/triple disc setup.

I suppose the flywheel will have to be modified then. :( I'll stick with the HKS Triple Plate as long as possible assuming that it can be adapted. After running a heavey pressure plate, and watching it explode out of the car, there's no way I'd run it with a high HP application. It's a bomb waiting to go off.

Eric

I used to have the HKS triple. I personally did not like the feel of it, but I hear some have had the discs relined with kevlar. Anyway, I think the flywheel is steel, right? If so, it's probably easy to modify. You will have to cut the existing teeth off the ring gear and weld on the ring gear from the flex plate that will come with your 1/2/3UZ motor. Then you'll have to fill in the existing holes in the center of the flywheel and have the properly spaced holes (to match the 1/2/3UZ crank) drilled. Then get it all balanced. Any competent machine shop should be able to do this.

I'd have to look to find out, but I'm 90% sure it's steel because of the posts coming out from it, and holding the plates in place. When the time comes, I'll have the engine builder do the procedure.

The secret to the HKS Triple is in the slave cylinder rod. I had to grind down a bolt 1/2 inch longer than stock to extend the engage/ disengage point. It's comptetly drivable in town now, and can be slipped at 7000 rpm. Of course it's not the best racing clutch because of the disk material welding itself to the flywheel under extreme heat. Hence the use of carbon disks in the RPS and Tilton units. But from light to light, it's better than any heavy pressure plate out there, and feels infinitely better than the Tilton clutches I've driven.

Thanks again for the GREAT info turboandrew! I really love the great info on these fourms. This is what an automotive forum should be.

Eric

I am working with Andrew on making the adapters available for everyone and I believe by the end of January, we should be looking very good. If you are interested in getting an adapter plate, head on over to the group buy section and make a post. I'll enter you on the list and payment can be made when they are aready to ship.

Thanks man!

Eric

You guys are amazing, but I'm still looking for a Getrag for the right price!!! Soon enough I'll have a 3UZ 6-speed in my SC3; muahaha and let the boosting begin!
-Justin

Question; there should be no problem attaching this plate to a 3uz block should there? From what I know the blocks are idenical except for the fact that the 3uz has a larger bore.
-Justin