6 speed Getrag swap into a supercharged 97 SC400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

scotturnot

Hi guys, just thought i might share my current project with you. I am about halfway there right now. I am installing a Getrag 6-speed in my SC400. Today I got the Supra TT rear subframe assembly installed. I have a ton of stuff to install so it could take a while. I will keep you posted as it progresses.

Hurst Roll control
DSCF0526.jpg
TT PWR 4 core radiator with electric fans. I am doing this since I no longer need a tranny cooler
DSCF0508.jpg
DSCF0509.jpg
TT drive shaft that will be lengthened.
DSCF0518.jpg

While I was working on cleaning up the TT subframe assembly to prepare it for the install I have been doing a side by side comparison of the TT subframe verses the Stock SC. First off I Would like to say, Those who say there is no gain in swapping the entire unit are wrong. Here are some of the differences I have noted.

Both the front and rear Lower Suspension links are are about 3" shorter
This was done for a couple reasons I suspect. Shorter links mean less flex and better control for cornering and drive trane shock from a manual tranny. They could shorten these since the Supra didnt need the extra travel due to it being lower than a stock SC I think. Stronger!tongue.gif
All four Body mount rubber bushing are a much stiffer Durometer along with being heavier built.
This again will serve as a much harder launch with a manual tranny. It is very clear this was intended for abuse! This is a Big Dealthumbsup.gif
Diff mounts are also stiffer rubber
Same as above
The actual subframe has subtle differences in construction.
These changes reinforce the frame for added drive Trane shock. Things like more boxed in arm mounts, More stamp reinenforcment in areas that count.
Of course don’t for get the Sway bar.
Tying the sway bar to the actual subframe instead of the body is for business type cornering.
And TT brakes to boot!

At this point I am pleased that I chose to swap the entire subframe assembly.biggrin.gif

Here is a comparison between the lower rear arms.
Top pic is TT subframe, lower pic is SC400
Pic a spot on the subframe to campare like the rear mount or top Arm bolt to really see the difference.
DSCF0545.jpg
DSCF0546.jpg

nice work. you're making me jealous.

i did not know you could swap in a TT Manual diff in. I guess it can only be completed if you swap the complete rear subframe?

Actually, the dif will fit a stock subframe. You just have to change one axle due to the length. I did the whole subframe because of its more rigid construction. I thought that would be a good thing due to the shock a clutch dropping can deliver.

Here is one problem with the Adaptor. We its not really a problem unless you consider pulling your transmision to change the starter a problem. The kit comes with some shorter bolts to secure the starter but you still cant remove them. This is a problem in my world.
Attached Imagesattachment.jpg

Here is what i did to the adaptor ring to remedy this. I dont really feel it weakend it much due to there are no bolts at the top anyway.

Next deal is in regards to the cover plate underneath the tranny. This is the access panel where you take off the TC bolts. I want this cover on so I wont get road grime in the clutch. I traced the pattern to the Engine side ring.

Attachments

• rustycarlisle035.jpg
    rustycarlisle035.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 2
  • rustycarlisle036.jpg
    rustycarlisle036.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 4
  • rustycarlisle109.jpg
    rustycarlisle109.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 3