6 speed Getrag swap into a supercharged 97 SC400

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
You can still use the original crossmember.

I re-drilled the rubber bush mount holes on the Getrag box itself.
The back set fit nicely between the original holes, the front set are in front of the holes.

Simply bolt the bush to the crossmember and not to the gearbox, fit the gearbox and use a marker pen to line it all up.

Great machining though.

Drove the car for the 1st time.
Several issues to work out but I am getting there.
Tranny still makes a fair amount of noise but shifts through the gears OK.
Clutch pedal just barely disengages at the floor, I am going to see what I can do about that.
Clutch makes some noise but I expected it to make some noise. Typical rattle of a metal clutch.
Clutch is touchy but it can be slipped. When you slip it, it squeals a little. But you can slip it. I am considering a different master cylinder to try and overcome some of these issues. The throwout bearing may need one more ship but then again as the clutch wears the pedal disengage point will come up. A smaller bore Master cylinder would help the quick engagment but given the same stroke the clutch would not disengage.

I didnt just lay on the Gas but I did get tempted to stomp it once or twice. I am going to need stickyer tires. It will pretty much light the tires up without a lot of effort.

Its going to be good once its all worked out, I am sure. I will get some pictures and videos soon.

Scott, the Getrag is going to make an annoying rattling noise with any lightweight flywheel. Only the Supra OEM dual mass flywheel quiets it down. You can minimise the noise by cranking the idle speed up to 1100-1200 rpm, but you need to be running a standalone to do that.....

I happen to have a brand new Supra slave cylinder here that has been bored out 1/8", which would do the same thing for you as a sleeved master cylinder. It's yours for $100 if you want to try it. I had it modified for a Supra buddy in the UK, but he seems to have dropped out of sight, so it's looking for a new home. I run one of these on my TRD Twin Disc, and it has helped with the engagement of that on/off clutch.

Sounds like results are encouraging so far, but it needs some "tuning" before you give it a final grade!

You are dead right on the noise. It makes a rattling sound from 600-1100 RPM then it goes away. I had myself convinced the trassmision was bad and I would need to pull it for a rebuild. This has been the heaviest weight on my mind. If what you are saying is correct, maybe it will be OK.

The clutch noise is not as bad as I expected which is a plus.

Sent you a PM on the Master cylinder, I will take it.

OK, it's definitely the Getrag - talk with any Supra owner who's running a lightweight flywheel. It's a classic "problem", which isn't really a problem, just annoying, particularly when you pull up to people at stoplights in your hot looking car that sounds like it's rattling apart.....

Answered your PM, but for the benefit of everyone, here's what overboring the slave achieves:

The hydraulic system moves a certain amount of fluid for a certain amount of stroke of the slave cylinder. If you increase the diameter of the slave, you get less stroke for the same volume of fluid. You also get more "force" because the fluid is acting on a larger diameter.

Drove the car more today, Seems like the clutch is getting much better or I am getting more used to it. I Absolutly love it! There is no words to explain driving a 6 speed SC400! It is a blast! I have a whole new car. The car is also faster, it is easy to tell. I even hooked a little street race against a 390 powered 67 mustang, He never knew what hit him. Fun!

Scott, I'll bet your clutch is going to take some breaking in. I nearly decided to set fire to my car during the first 500 miles I drove my TRD Twin Disc, but after that, I have to admit it's been getting better.

Are you able to get it launched smoothly without the "rev and dump" approach?

Scott, I'll bet your clutch is going to take some breaking in. I nearly decided to set fire to my car during the first 500 miles I drove my TRD Twin Disc, but after that, I have to admit it's been getting better.

Are you able to get it launched smoothly without the "rev and dump" approach?

Yes, I can slip it, its a little noisy when I slip it but not to bad. Its actually very tolerable. The hydraulic throwout bearing may help, I think it is a fairly large bore so it is fairly forgiving. I think it will get better with time. When I first drove it I killed it severakl times but this drive I didnt kill it at all. It is grabby as compared to a organic but nothing like I was led to belive it would be like. I will try to get some videos of it for you.

Drove the car around town today for awhile. I must say, the clutch performance is improving. I can easily slip it and the drivability is good. I contribute this to the large doughnut style throw out bearing with a large bore and my rigid mounting of it. It is really pleasant to drive. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like driving a stock clutch, but still it is very manageable.

Tranny is still noisy, guess I live with that for now.

Traction is a real problem, It is really easy to bounce off the rev limiter, I am still getting used to it.

Thanks Scott, I was just about to PM you for an update ;-)

How's the pedal effort compared to stock? (Might be an unfair question to ask unless you've driven a stock Supra clutch)

How many rev's are you giving it to get going?

Let's say you had a styrofoam cup of coffee 3/4 full in your lap. Do you think you could launch it without burning yourself? (don't ask me why I picked this test......)

Thanks Scott, I was just about to PM you for an update ;-)

How's the pedal effort compared to stock? (Might be an unfair question to ask unless you've driven a stock Supra clutch)

How many rev's are you giving it to get going?

Let's say you had a styrofoam cup of coffee 3/4 full in your lap. Do you think you could launch it without burning yourself? (don't ask me why I picked this test......)

Pedal is really easy, probally about the same as my toyota Rav4. I can hold it for long periods with no problem.

As far as RPM, I would guess I am slipping it in around 2000 but I am not sure.
If the weather is good tomorrow, I will try to shoot some videos of the instrument clust as I start off.

As far as the coffee, I am still getting used to it. I would say I would probally be wearing the coffee about 1 time out of 10, I'm banking on having my coffe drank down after a couple starts. I may do this test for you as well, more to prove it to myself.

Pedal is really easy, probally about the same as my toyota Rav4. I can hold it for long periods with no problem.

Good to hear - that's one of the nice things about a twin disc arrangement.

As far as RPM, I would guess I am slipping it in around 2000 but I am not sure.

2000-2500 is about where I'm slipping my TRD Twin Disc, now that I have around 1000 miles on it. It's a metallic lined 6 puck clutch also. I blip the gas to 2000-2500, then let out cautiously (because the point of engagement with this clutch changes from cold to hot) then when the clutch starts to grab, I feed in more throttle and let it out the rest of the way. Most of the time it's fairly smooth now, but I sure don't try to drink coffee with it anymore ;-)

OK guys, I tried to shoot some Videos from the drivers seat. Kinda tought to hold a camera, shift and focus on driving. The real purpose here is to try and demonstrate the driveability of this set up.

listen close for
Transmission rattle (lightened flywheel deal)
Clutch squeal (metal clutch)
bounce off rev limiter (try doing this with a camera in your hand)
Quick revs!

All in all it drives great! I love it so far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBcNWTYYlBc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFEeOY7XRNYhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBcNWTYYlBc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c9C01mAPwc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWhuZTGcusc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbfJEkny-_M

I will work on some better videos of the car from the outside.

Very nice Scott; looks like it's well sorted. I'm sure that's due to all the extra attention you paid it during the installation.

Would you recommend it for others, who are looking for a "granny" clutch that's light, slippable, but will still hold the torque?

Very nice Scott; looks like it's well sorted. I'm sure that's due to all the extra attention you paid it during the installation.

Would you recommend it for others, who are looking for a "granny" clutch that's light, slippable, but will still hold the torque?

If you can deal with the noise, I feel its a pretty good clutch set up. It seems very drivable.
Here is a longer video of everyday driving.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtqDcL5pyEA