Single Turbo 1UZ MKII Supra Project

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Ok gang, let me backtrack a bit to where I left off on the Differential rebuild. After about 5 or 6 attempts to set the perfect mesh on the gears, I was unable to get the exact perfect pattern I was hoping for. I eventually shimmed the pinion to the point that I couldn't add any more shims and still dint have the contact pattern I wanted. After looking online and consulting with a few more experienced builders about it, they told me to focus on the housing itself as it may be out of spec. The one thing that did bother me about the housing that I pulled from the Lincoln MKVIII was that it looked as though the carrier races had spud themselves inside the carrier and aluminum main caps a bunch of times. The aluminum was galled very badly on the caps and housing, and I began to worry that the carrier might not be seating properly inside it. I was also a bit worried that the pinion had a bit of loose play on the original assembly before I uninstalled it. These should have warning signs to me earlier, but I tired my best to work with it. Now seeing the difficulty I was having using it, I decided to search for another housing. Luckily on the same day I was looking, the entire drive-train for another low mile Lincoln MKVIII had popped up on craigslist, and I got a very nice diff assembly with extra CV's for a great price.

Another issue I had was with the "old" 3.73 ring and pinion set I was using, donated from my brother and father's collection of junk. One of the teeth on the pinion had a very small chip on the very end, in an area that doesn't make contact with the ring gear. I filed the sharp edges down and kept working. Little to my surprise, after my 5th attempt I saw that the chip has exponentially grown in size! I don't know If I accidentally applied to much pressure on it when removing the pinion bearing in the press, or hit it on something or what. I assume it happened when I was pressing the pinion bearing off, since the stands I was using were touching some of the teeth. Since the area broken wasnt in the contact patch of the gear mesh, people online seemed to say you could still use it. Either way, I wasnt going to keep using it!

AHUHOLi.jpg

I decided to go ahead and order a new set of Ford Racing 3.73 gears for the "new" carrier rebuild. I also ordered new carrier shims and more marking compound just to be safe.

KLbrjMS.jpg

You can see the difference in the shape of the leading edge of the pinion teeth on the Ford Motorsports gears (right) versus the stock ford gears (left). You can also see many small nicks and chips in stock ford gears all along that razor sharp edge of all the teeth.

nXArjDq.jpg

After destroying two pinion bearings with my previous attempts (you have to press the old bearing off the pinion with a bearing buster and a press to change the pinion shim), I adopted a cleaver trick i saw on a few pages online. I bought two new pinion bearings, with the intent of boring open one of them to slip fit on the pinion for mock-up. If I honed out the opening just enough to slide the bearing on the pinion without a press, I could swap out pinion shims super easily while setting up the carrier. Once I found the combination of pinion and carrier shims that work perfectly, I could remove the dummy bearing and press on the final bearing. I used a brake hone and a good quality cutting fluid to open the ID of the bearing as straight and perfect as I could. Bearing races are extremely hard steel, so It took quite some time to get it to just the right size. I would say I opened it up by about .0025" to get it to slide onto the pinion with no play.

CdrDSL5.jpg

With the sub zero temps and winds here in Iowa/Illinois, I decided to retreat to the basement with the diff for my final rebuild attempts. (Don't tell my girlfriend I am using her scrap-booking table!) I also took the time to measure each shim out exactly with my micrometers, and carefully etched the size onto each face.

Can anyone guess what is under the table? :)

gGtPOwq.jpg

To keep tabs of what shims I am using, changing, and my results from each attempt, I made a chart to track my progress as I rebuilt the diff. This became invaluable to me as I was swapping shims and moving sizes around, I wish I did it for the first attempts.

jinjpwB.jpg

Once temps came back up, I returned to the garage in fear of being beat by my girlfriend for making the basement smell like gear oil. I also took the time when I was disassembling the second diff to clean, and label each carrier main cap and bolt for their correct orientation.

TZ2a9Pt.jpg

The new carrier I bought was insanely clean inside compared to the previous unit I was working with. The bearing surfaces were nice and clean, with the original machining marks still visible.

hbNPLP5.jpg

iDf6xyc.jpg

After only 3 attempts with the new gears and case, I finally got my nice mesh. I took it all apart one last time, cleaned the housing to the bone, and rebuilt it with the final components.

FjV8D0r.jpg

Once the rebuild was finished, the assembly was again cleaned then treated to coats of silver and clear engine enamel to keep the corrosion at bay. The rear cover mating faces were cleaned thoroughly and the rear cover was Permatex Grayed into place.

TVYFw9k.jpg

owLcN0y.jpg

FBzSxY0.jpg

oVwxR1s.jpg

With the diff finished, it was finally time to assemble the whole rear and install it under the car. I cleaned up my rear C6 Corvette bearings that had been re-drilled to 5x114.3, coated them in black, and pressed new long studs into them. I also rough assembled the QA1 Proma-Star coilovers with the 12" long 220lb springs springs I chose.

C8fCtcl.jpg

72uxX3u.jpg

eQLg6GU.jpg

I also designed a spanner to turn the spring perches for these coilovers, and had it cut out at work from steel.

eJrlzpq.jpg

The diff was mated to the subframe, and new grade 8 hardware was used to bolt everything together.

8sSWk8O.jpg

AWcv6hq.jpg

mrxGPDh.jpg

The coilovers, sway bar components, hubs and parking brakes were also added. At this point it was ready to wheel under the car and bolt it in.

V5Up6qN.jpg

dR9f6mU.jpg

3nd9Azr.jpg

mK6e1PE.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pics, but lighting is bad at ground level in this corner of the garage. We dollied the assembly under the car and jacked it up into place. The four points slipped over the mounting bolts with ease, nice and square. After checking some final clearances, the coilovers were tossed in to see how the fit against the sheet metal of the car. Luckily, I ordered just the right spring length that allowed the rear of the car the sit at the height I wanted, allowing the spring perch to sit below the sheet metal. I could have chose 10" springs, but I was afraid that it would only give me a fraction of an inch to lower the car more before the threads bottomed out. 12" just fits as you can see, barely missing the sheetmetal inside the fender. I think the ticket is an 11" spring, which thankfully is a very weird and expensive size.

Oub7XL8.jpg

DHEKugV.jpg

The coilover top stud mounts I made just fit into the original shock space, but I need to make and add a spacer so the mount is not resting on the curved edges of this section of metal in the wheel well, and instead sits nice and securely flat against the top mounting surface. A temporary bolt holds the shock in place.

mH9svQD.jpg

The top spring perch clears the trailing arm with no issues, and the sway bar moves nicely in the full travel of the shock.

dbIq1JA.jpg

That's all for now. I am cleaning up a few pics of the car on the ground with its wheels, but damn i wish the garage wasn't so dirty in these pics!

-Mike

Here are some (ok) pictures of the new shoes:

UDxuVNU.jpg

hMLsjWA.jpg

POmWMjE.jpg

Wheels are 18x8.5 +25 front, 18x10.5 +15 rear.

Tires are 245/35/18 front, and 295/30/18 rears.

They aren't the best pics, hopefully I can get the car outside in the sun and snap some better ones soon.

-Mike

Yes Justen, they are the Varrstoen ES221's. Tires are Hankook EVO's for now. Although these aren't my ideal "end game" wheel and tire setup, I love the results. I have longed after a TE37 style wheel for some time that had some concavity for the rears, so these were a no-brainer for me.

Thanks,
-Mike

this build thread is the best thread i have come across...ever. your attention to detail is second to none! i just woke up, read this thread and now im pumped! headed out to the garage to work on my project now!

keep up the good work!

how much more do you have to finish up?

This weekend I had a chance to finish a couple last details on the transmission. I had a shifter housing from a MKIII Supra W58 trans, but I needed to swap out the internal shifter "socket" that goes with it to the new shifter position.

The transmission as it stood, with the MKIII style shifter housing sitting on top:

sZUgE61.jpg

My original MKII shifter housing (Left) VS the mkIII unit (Right):

F7ynUPl.jpg

The difference in shifter position is just under 2.5 inches.

Nuf5JNR.jpg

There is a rubber seal and oil baffle under the shifter housing, and it looks as though it will work with either style shifters.

FjsJcPB.jpg

The shifter socket is only held in with a single bolt, but to slide it off the shaft the case needs to be separated to expose the shaft it is attached to.

XeYO3Lg.jpg

With the transmission empty and set vertical, the retaining bolts for the case sections were removed. Some light tapping around the case with a drift pin and hammer wiggled the top half off the alignment dowels. I didn't want to be forceful here, because I didn't want to jostle any of the internals in fear of something falling out or miss-aligning. Once the top half was loose, I carefully removed it from the lower section while sliding the old shifter socket off the selector shaft. I took some time when the rear gear section was exposed to check things over, and make sure nothing needed immediate attention. Everything looked very clean and nothing major stood out.

jkb49JO.jpg

6A6SGm4.jpg

VQG0zIG.jpg

K06y2Q4.jpg

The shifter socket is longer by the same amount that the shifter housing extends in relation to the original MKII unit. Both of the sockets I had seemed to have very nice shifter bushings in place, so I left them as the were. (MKII on top, MKIII on Bottom):

7m6jsoA.jpg

After cleaning all the gasket surfaces to clean metal, I used Toyota's transmission orange F.I.P.G. to seal the cases, and carefully fitted the rear case back onto the assembly while sliding on the new shifter socket.

2f79Npx.jpg

Once everything was bolted back together, the transmission was cleaned thoroughly and treated to a few coats of silver engine enamel, followed by a few coats of clear.

KvDKGyd.jpg

U3JpASb.jpg

Q3LG9fC.jpg

rv5MDD3.jpg

vNdIsUH.jpg

That pretty much sums it up. I didn't spend a whole lot of time on the car this weekend, spending most of my time maintenance my daily driver. I did grab this snap before putting the cover back on the car:

GWm1XrJ.jpg

The engine needs to come out one last time, to remove all the exhaust parts for ceramic coating and double check all the lines and bolts. I am on the last leg of this venture, and pretty much done fabricating things for now. Once I have my driveshaft and CV shafts, it will just be tying up loose ends and going through the checklist before I can start it and drive it for the first time. To keep myself busy in the meantime, I am doing some surgery on my busted-ass tailights to bring them back to their original brilliance.

JrFQjBx.jpg

-Mike

Last edited:
Mike, gorgeous pics, especially of that engine bay.

However, I wanted to point something out to you that you might be unaware of - most UZ hotrodders aren't aware of this either and it's caught many of us.

The engine thermostat on the UZ, unlike most cars, is on the INLET of the engine, not the OUTLET. So you have the engine cooling system piped as anyone normally would do, however it's backwards. It still might work with that crossflow radiator, but if you have cooling issues in the future, this might be why.

Here's a couple of diagrams; note they're from the later VVTi engine, but all UZ's are the same wrt this cooling strategy. The diagrams for the later models are just much clearer in electronic format than the early models.

Attachments

• Cooling schematic.jpg
    Cooling schematic.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Cooling schematic1.jpg
    Cooling schematic1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Cooling schematic2.jpg
    Cooling schematic2.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thank Cribbj,

The cooling confusion is something I realized after looking at other builds, but unfortunately it was only after building my radiator pipes. I have tricked myself into believing that it will still work in this orientation on a few occasions, but I am worried about it. Redoing the pipes to swap the inlet and outlet positions over wouldn't be difficult, just the fact that the thermostat housing cant clock the other direction without pointing right at the engine outlet. If it comes to it, I will have to fabricate a new water neck to point to the driver side and miss the outlet. I am still trying to investigate this and see if I can find any examples that might prove either issue or success, but I do have a feeling I will have to change it.

Unfortunately changing the radiator inlet and outlet positions is off the table since my wastegate plumbing effectively blocks that side of the engine bay from being accessible for a coolant pipe. Thanks for the reality check again ( haha ), this is something I need to get more serious about finding a solution for.

-Mike

Mike, I think you might be able to get away with it with that crossflow radiator, but if it was a conventional style with top & bottom tanks, you'd have a tough time.

I am still chipping away at the last odds and ends to finish the swap. It would help if I didn't constantly find new small projects to design and fabricate!

PeeWee's MA61/UZ style mounts work just fine, but I decided to design and make mounts with alot less compliance for the high torque V8, and ditch the stock style rubber altogether. Over-designed by all means, but now the looks can at least match the function.

3wL6bWj.jpg

v8YUX0q.jpg

-Mike

I thought I would give a mini update on what I've been up to while I wait for more parts to be finished. I sent all my exhaust pieces out some time ago, and finally got them all back from the ceramic coaters. They did a very, very nice job, certainly worth the wait. Hopefully with the pipes coated inside and out, my tight plumbing wont burn everything apart in the engine bay. Hopefully the mild steel pipes will also stay clean for some time. I also grabbed a PTP turbo blanket, and DEI wrap and sealer for the parts of the exhaust that are very close to other components.

h015zqT.jpg

TEajPzF.jpg

dcLblHG.jpg

I wrapped the section of downpipe that is very close to shock tower and the valve cover on the passenger side. I also wrapped the center section of the crossover pipe that is very close to the crank pulley, belt, and fans. I still have to coat the wrap with the sealer once it fully dries, as I dampened the wrap before installing to make a nice tight fit. I also opted out of using hose clamps or stainless ties to secure the wrap, and just used some stainless aviation safety wire in the needed locations.

ZPDLewg.jpg

Wmpa5Gt.jpg

I was just able to sneak the O2 bung through as cleanly as I could.

YJEcWyy.jpg

vnvLHcm.jpg

-Mike

The engine is just about 100% sorted, and ready to drop back in for the last time. I am still waiting on some "overnight parts from Japan" that have been enroute now for over a month, so hopefully they might show up sometime this year. I will post a big update once I have more progress to show, but here is a quick pic:

KpDJAEf.jpg

-Mike

I am still waiting on some "overnight parts from Japan" that have been enroute now for over a month, so hopefully they might show up sometime this year.
-Mike

I'll bet they're with my parts that were supposed to be here in February.

JustenGT8 they're there just incase. You know, sometimes it's better to shoot a horse rather than trying to prolong its painful life ) A nice reminder for low budget custmers with smoky engines )

JustenGT8 they're there just incase. You know, sometimes it's better to shoot a horse rather than trying to prolong its painful life ) A nice reminder for low budget custmers with smoky engines )

Do that over here and the police helicopter and half the force along with all the media would be camped out front! :(

Media you say? What a nice free advert then! After being pointed face to the dirt, just tell them these were all mockups )