MR2 SW20 V8 swap

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
lowboost said:
No its not a log style, its the OEM stainless/mild steal tubular header, which Im so excited about because I thought I had cast iron manifolds (didnt some models have cast iron?)

Im going to use those temporarly on my stock 1uz setup to run a T04R. I really have to get on the ball and wire transferr my money to VVega!

Well, the OEM manifolds are in fact tube stainless but flow terribly. I would rather have a good casting. I understand you have limited space but maybe look at the S&S Headers.

https://ssl10.mysecureserver.com/bosstoolscom/store/store/comersus_dynamicIndex.asp

Thanks but thats to pricey for me to cut on. Im gonna get some SS autocrap ones from ebay. Sadly their store is about an hour from my house but they wont allow pick ups.

I took some more pictures tonight of the engine sitting in the engine bay, I need to lift the engine a few inches, but Im going to buy an angle grinder soon as well and start shaving the side out. I've decided to wait on the custom suspension setup unless it just wont fit. I really think this motor will fit with just a little effort. If so this will make a lot of my troubles an ease!

jeff

Money has been wired to VVega and I hope he takes off right away to work on my parts and get them back in his estimated 4 to 5 weeks! Hopefully around christmas I will have the parts so I can test fit the parts together, then I could weld some mounts for the axle carrier on the block. My transmission is in the shop now getting torn apart so I can line it up to drill some extra support holes!I think if I shave out some places on the right the tranny might fit perfect.

Jeff

Guys Im getting so excited and things are moving along really well! If VVega gets the parts done and out on time I will have them before christmas. I've decided to use the standard ECU for the time being, also wanting to line tuck the wiring harness so all you see is the engine and turbo in the bay.

I ordered my clutch today and it will be here next monday. Its a spec stage 3 clutch for an MR2 flywheel, which lines up perfectly with the 1uz starter, which the flywheel is custom made by VVega (yah yah). If all goes as planned I will have the engine mounted to the transmission by January.

The second week of January I will be on vacation in tokyo japan for a week and half. It should be fun, and give me some idea's of whats hot for 2006. I really think the MR2 project can hit a magizines interest in the USA, wish me luck guys.

Jeff

lowboost--great thread..:approve:

i also have an mr2 sitting around, and have been toying with the v8 idea. but i have a few big projects to finish first... glad to see your getting somewhere with this,, and il be keeping an eye on your progress..

thanks man, Im waiting for my adapter and flywheel, but my clutch came in this week! Spec stage 3, which is a 6 puck clutch and grips quiet well (because I use to have one on my MR2 hehe) which was making 300whp.

Since I've not really been working on the MR2 V8 I've been cleaning a spare 3sgte motor I have. It is coming along well too, I've attached some pics of it too. What do you think of it?

Later,
JEFF

looks clean--alot of work getting like that..

with the v8, your using the orig 3sge trans,? and flywheel?. i think it( as a complete drivetrain) may be a little wide,, but i bet it would fit if you mve the trans over a bit.. you may need to cut/channel the frame,, but i havent looked undernieth mine in a while.. anyway,, keep up the good work..

Hey Im looking at different 1uz's and wondering why my 92 model 1uz has this oil pump on the front, and can I get rid of it?

take a look at these pics.

aw11progress005.jpg

that motor doesnt have it, but mine does, Im attaching a photo below of mine.

Thanks,
Jeff

i think your refering to the oil pump for the hydrualic fan..--they came on the sc400-soarers, but not on the sedan cars--ls400.. you can get rid of it,, and should. in the top pic,, all of the accesories-alternator, etc, are not mounted.. the lower engine is exactly the same undernieth all of the covers and stufff.--also,, the waterpump is driven by the cam belt in the top pic--its the pully without cogs--driven from the smooth/back side of the timing belt...

lowboost said:
in the lower picture of mine, I can remove the upper pulley then? not the crank below but the other?

You need to keep some sort of pulley there (in the upper position). Some vehicles had an idler pulley, while what you have (and me too) is the hydro pump for the fan. If using electric fans, this pump is not needed. You need the pulley to maintain your stock belt length.

You can replace with the idler assembly, or remove the fins from the impeller unside the pump and fill it with oil prior to capping it off for good measure. (I've not done this yet, but there are instructions on this site somewhere for doing just this)

I have been watching the mr2 posts to see how it is done for a while now,I would like to mention a post some time ago mentioning the clearence problem with the righthand side axle fowling on the motor there was actually a picture of it, i remember being disapointed as this spoils a resonably straight forward job. maybe this has been resolved, I just thought iwould bring this up again just in case it saves you some time and hassle

Since you willing to cut the car:

I suggest north-south layout with a transaxle, east-west won't work too well you will have unequal lenght axle shafts and a really tight space to work with on top of that you want to do inboard push rod suspension which requires a bit of math and kinematic calculations, one side of you car will be heavy.