Project MV8R a V8 into a 1991-1999 MR2

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Yah, sure

I think you have to be a member to see this thread
subscribed.gif
World's first (second?) V8 2nd generation MR2!

022.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

Yeah, I couldn't see anything in the forum without registering...

Deffinitly a nice swap. Being that me and Jake are right close to eachother and only a couple hrs south of Mike, I think Jake and I will have to get with Mike and take a short trip and check out the car in person and maybe get some video's of it once he's got that miss problem worked out.

Got a nice surprise the other day when I logged into my Gmail account and a link to cbulen's project was listed at the top of my account where the news items and other links get displayed.

This is good info!

Transmissions

E153 toyota trans - 16"
F40 GM trans - 14.3"

Engines

3sg* - 20" long
ABZ - 20.63" long
North* - 23" long
1uz - 27" long?
1uz vvti - 23 or 24" long?

I happen to have a 1uz vvti harness/ecu/ etc etc :D

If I could get it to 21.7", I'd have the exact same length as the stock 3s stuff

I'm going to have to verify that when I get home, I have a few 1uz's/2uz's in my garage.

I think the idea of the F40 trans is brilliant though!

DSC_5958.jpg

Mike_H on the MR2 forums has done the World's First V8 2nd gen MR2. He used the Audi 4.2 V8 (engine code ABZ), and mounted it longitudinal. He used this engine because its around 6.5 inches SHORTER than the 1UZ. The Audi is 20.63 long, the 1UZ is around 27 inches. The N* is 23 inches long and required some cutting of the chassis, when I bolted it to a transaxle that is shorter than the Toyota MR2 turbo trans.

So, I decided to use the N*. This is an ongoing project. The N* now fits the car (a bit of cutting was required, but not as much as you might think).
______
CBulen
Project MV8R: Sign up for the build manual

You say you bought this trans for $400

I couldn't find one on ebay, what are the details on this trans?

Do you have any pics and how much (if any) can be machined off of the bell housing (front or rear) to gain additional space and shorten it even more than 14.3" ?

DSC_5958.jpg

Anyway, the gist of the project is a Northstar V8 + GM F40 6 speed manual tranny, and hybrid GM + MR2 axles.

______
CBulen
Project MV8R: Sign up for the build manual

I have not shaved it. It bolts up to the N* with the exception of one bolt, which is misaligned by 1" or so. THis is easy to accomodate with a fabbed steel bracket. No machining is required even for the fabbed bracket, just a little welding, and drill two holes, and now all bolts are used.

Even if you shorten the 1UZ, you have to use an adaptor plate to bolt it to some transaxle. The F40 is the strongest front wheel drive manual transaxle you can get right now.

As for eBay, Search for Pontiac G6 transmission or "trans". The F40 we are using came from the 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP with the 3.9L V6

or you can try setting up an automatic search in your account.

Sign up for my newsletter. I will cover the clutch for the N* to F40 combo this month, after taxes are done.

Got it, I think, is this it? If it is, there isn't hardly any room to shrink it or machine it, lol!

I'll definitely have to check out your newsletter :)

2f4d10299911.jpg

455510365901.jpg

I have not shaved it. It bolts up to the N* with the exception of one bolt, which is misaligned by 1" or so. THis is easy to accomodate with a fabbed steel bracket. No machining is required even for the fabbed bracket, just a little welding, and drill two holes, and now all bolts are used.

Even if you shorten the 1UZ, you have to use an adaptor plate to bolt it to some transaxle. The F40 is the strongest front wheel drive manual transaxle you can get right now.

As for eBay, Search for Pontiac G6 transmission or "trans". The F40 we are using came from the 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP with the 3.9L V6

or you can try setting up an automatic search in your account.

Sign up for my newsletter. I will cover the clutch for the N* to F40 combo this month, after taxes are done.

I want to put one of these in my Corolla now! If I ever get around to turbocharging it, and have issues with that, it's getting one of these!

For some reason I can't edit my threads?

Anyway, I went out and measured my engines, my vvt UZ engine is 24" from front to back, at it's shortest point that is feasible (the coolant necks would have to be redesigned) and my 1uz with distributors is 25" from front to back. The strange thing is that from the rear of the cam gear (block side) to the front of the distributor that is built in, is 3" for the 1uz, for the VVTI UZ, from rear of the cam gear to the end of the bolt is 3.5" ... it protrudes out more then the 1uz distributor motor.

Depending on where the frame rails run, this might not matter, as I'm not sure what they'll interfere with

As you can see in the pics below, the frame rail is the tighest part of the bay, but only in certain places, as it has more room above and below it, that's the best picture I can find

DSC_5960.jpg

This is good info!

Transmissions

E153 toyota trans - 16"
F40 GM trans - 14.3"

Engines

3sg* - 20" long
ABZ - 20.63" long
North* - 23" long
1uz - 27" long?
1uz vvti - 23 or 24" long?

I happen to have a 1uz vvti harness/ecu/ etc etc :D

If I could get it to 21.7", I'd have the exact same length as the stock 3s stuff

I'm going to have to verify that when I get home, I have a few 1uz's/2uz's in my garage.

I think the idea of the F40 trans is brilliant though!

GTE,
I did not see the pic, as it is not working now.

if you want to mount the engine transversely using the F40, you will need an adaptor plate, which will add even more length (actually width) to your drivetrain. If your 1uZ is 24" and the F40 is 14.3", then add another .5 to 1.0 inches for the adaptor plate.

Please note that the dimensions I give for engine lengths are from the front of the crank pulley, or head of the crank pulley bolt (for example, the northstar bolt head adds .5 inches to the length) to the rear face of the engine, where it meets the bellhousing, NOT including the crank protruding past that, as the crank protrudes INTO the bellhousing of the trans.

The trans length (width in transverse) is from the bellhousing face to the left most edge of the case. On the F40 trans, it is fairly flat here.

When it came to fitting the Northstar (the Cadillac V8 engine I am using) and the F40 bolted together (no adaptor plate needed for this combo), into the MR2 chassis, the parts of the body that interfered were the "frame" rails down low in the engine compartment, and some tacked on stiffening webbing on the right side shock tower. I avoided cutting the shock tower itself, but it could be notched, if I had to.

If my choice of engine were longer and/or required an adaptor plate, cutting a hole in the shock tower would be required to clear the rear head of the V8. The shock towers lean in towards the engine by 10 degrees or thereabouts. Fortunately, the Northstar does not have anything that sticks out of the heads above the engine pulley (like a distributor). I am sure it was designed this way as it was meant to be mounted transversely by GM.

On your Corolla, you will need to find the distance between frame rails, and shock towers.

Here are my drawings of the MR2

2008drawingMR2EmptyEngineBayTopandS.jpg

2008drawingMR2detailedemptyengineba.jpg