MR2 SW20 V8 swap

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
i think some people in japan tried the 1uz north-south thing, but they had to lengthen the chassis because it just wouldnt fit infront of the firewall.
i just found this on google. sard mc8 lemans lexus v8 mr2; http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/Sard_MC8R.html
i like this option much better, but it would involve a LOT more engineering.

Oh man I've liked the Sard race cars from when I was a kid! Yes Its old, I think those photos are scanned from like really early 90's. Im going to Tokyo Japan in a month from today almost! I am going to SARD, Top Secret, and TRD after the tokyo autosalon! Maybe if I bring a picture they can send me the right way hahaha.

I wonder if SARD just created a rear section like this (mostlikely) or if they used something from another car (hmmmm) I could use NSX rear quarter panels hahah but to much engineering would kill me. I will work with this setup first and I will dream of seeing one of these earlier lemans cars!

Jeff

Attachments

• 10-4-05d_resize.jpg
    10-4-05d_resize.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 24-4-05a_resize.jpg
    24-4-05a_resize.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 24-4-05b_resize.jpg
    24-4-05b_resize.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 24-4-05c_resize.jpg
    24-4-05c_resize.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 24-4-05e_resize.jpg
    24-4-05e_resize.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 24-4-05g_resize.jpg
    24-4-05g_resize.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 24-4-05h_resize.jpg
    24-4-05h_resize.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 24-4-05i_resize.jpg
    24-4-05i_resize.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 19
I take that back it was 1997

And found another photo

Le_Mans-1996-06-16-046.jpg

i think i saw it on mr2oc.com Have a search, I remember viewing the website for the company that used to produce the fibreglass parts. It wasnt listed, but im sure they still have the moulds.

You'd need a tube rear end, all fibreglass pannels, transaxle ( unless you kept it E-W, but that'd kinda be weird considering you are building an mc8) and huge ass wheels to fill the guards. money money money.

Imagine driving one of those on the street though :bigeyes: golly.

-nathan

Update: 12/11/05 - its been cold and dark lately. I've been busy with work and last week it rained a good bit, I want you guys to kknow I havent given up! I have found out that I will have to cut the back of my MR2 up pretty good I think. Also I might make an axle extention for the longer drive shaft (shown below). I thought wiring was going to be the bitch, but I was wrong hahhaa mounting and having all the fliud hoses lined up!

100_1288.jpg

100_1304.jpg

Jim, I know where everything goes, the Tranny plugs I dont know where, but I got the Coil plug and fuel pump plugs and everything else dude, dont worrry! Man come down and take a look this coming weekend and then go hit the dragon with me and jason!

I would love to go to the dragon but Im selling the MX5 to get an MRS this week so I will be spending most of the week looking for the new car. I still have to re-assemble the Kcar transmission, fabricate adapter plates for the RB25 and rebuild that To4-E that harry gave me for the 5VZ. So, Im a bit swamped. I should have both the MR2's fully assembled by the end of the week.

I may be able to come down there next week though, on the 19th or 20th though. I am feelin the need for some LEX parts.

100_1271.jpg

What is the process of taking these parts off? do I have to take the crank pulley off first and whatnot, I know this is a stupid question I just dont like the rusty mess Im looking at and keep putting it off!

As for a FWD tranny, yes its about the same as a FWD tranny, and no it wont be destroyed. Toyota made an awesome transmission the E153 which there is currently one in canada that is running fine with an 800whp MR2. I dont think I'll be around that range for awhile and Im getting my trans brand new (well core) from Toyota with LSD. plus these engines have torque and some power but a stock 1uz isnt worth bragging it will break this trans.

jeff

man I've been needing to update for quite some time! I've done a little work on the engine. Deleted all the ness. parts off the engine I can get by with. Also I've decided on what is needed to make this puppy fit in the car, and what roll cage to buy. I was told by Vvega that I would be getting my parts next week. Also something good to know is I had a speedo sensor from my MR2 sitting in my garage, and its the same exact plug as on the SC400 harness, so I can just plug it right up.

Also I've decided to use the SC400 gauge cluster because its just different and looks pretty cool too. Im going to do the wiring on that while I wait for parts. I should be ordering my roll bar next week from IOPORT Racing. Its a full U'Weld in cage and Im going to use it to base the rest of the tube framed car. Its going to be basically an all out race car when im done with it, but it will be legal to drive in the USA!

jeff

Luckily toyota/lexus decided to keep the pin out names exactly the same. I have finalized the location of the alternator but have yet to machine it to make it where it will fit properly.

I am also making the water neck on the 1uz setup like the 3s/5s motor, with the thermostat one the pulley side and the back side of the 1uz will connect to the 3s radiator cap side and still retain the over flow tank. These are ideas and dreams, these are plans and goals.

On a different note, I am changing the color of the MR2 (currently Red) to black, My friend and I spent all day saturday removing the front pieces (fuse box, hoses, clamps, wiring harness's) to sand down and prime the frunk as some people call it. I've decided to leave the frunk, trunk and engine bay all flat black, I like the dull look, but believe me its not some crappy spray bomb job. I only want the best out of this project car! After I get the motor in and running this car will prolly spend a month in a trusted body shop getting a really nice (wet looking) paint job.

Before:

frunkb4.jpg

After:

frunka4tr.jpg

Thats a lot more work than it looks, especially when you are doing it right!

I left a few corners faint in the primer area, I need to go over them some more, proper lighting would be nice! I have to get a new shop or buy a house! I figured if I bought a house I could spend more time in the garage and let the lady cook for me. Currently Im living in an apartment, driving 5 miles to my shop where my s2000 and sc400 and MR2 are sitting. If i bought a house I could house the s2000 and MR2 and dang Im brain storming again in a thread... sorry... Vvega has cut the flywheel and sent me pictures, it looks great, but its far from finished. I am giving him till the end of this month now, which should be more than enough time to finalize and make sure everything is finished without rushing and not taking quality time and doing it right.

Heres a sneak peak!

flywheel2.jpg
flywheel.jpg
fly3.jpg

I've said I wanted to swap in the SC400 gauge cluster as well, it might not be able to be done after all, because of the junction box differences, and different grounds and voltages, I've not given up yet on the idea though... look at what I was doing saturday night, my cat was helping!

gaugeswap.jpg
In the car...

gaugeswap1.jpg