JZA80 + UZZ31 = UZA80 - Wiring Info

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

AndyTTR

I originally posted this over on Toymods, but I figured it would also help people out here (seeing as this forum seems to be the go-to place for 1UZ swap info). Hope this helps!

-----

These files took many hours to compile, hopefully they help someone out!

I used the usual Toyota wire colour and plug name nomenclature...

JZA80 Series 1 2JZ-GE Engine Harness to Chassis Harness plug pin-outs.

UZZ31 Series 1 1UZ-FE Engine Harness to Chassis Harness plug pin-outs.

UZZ31 1UZ-FE to JZA80 Chassis Harness pin-outs (including Hydro Fan ECU).

UZZ31 to JZA80 Cruise Control ECU pin-outs.

----

Those diagrams were made starting with the USDM Supra and Soarer diagrams. Initially I went through them highlighting all the connections at the plugs that connected from the 'Engine Wire' to any other 'Wire'. The USDM diagrams were used as the Toyota diagrams for my two JDM cars were in Japanese :p...

After all the plug connections had been highlighted I went back and listed the pins, wire colours, current / information flow direction (the words 'from' and 'to' are very important) and the relevant circuit diagram in Excel.

The next step was to go down to the garage and see how much actually correlated to the wiring harnesses. For the most part the Supra was pretty close, but a lot of the Soarer pins were wrong - the circuits were the same, but the pin configuration was different. USDM models were pretty simple compared to the JDM ones - they don't have TEMS, Airbag suspension, digital dash, EMV etc. and so had many less pins in their connectors. Also the JDM models run different oxygen sensors, have cat heat sensors and so on... After buzzing out the actual harnesses the updated info was put into the Excel files.

After that it was just a case of matching up the functions from the Supra end to the Soarer engine harness! Up to this point the wiring task alone must've taken about three~four weekends, and I hadn't even cut a wire yet!

To make life easier I pulled the male ends of the plugs out of the Soarer wreck and cut the female ends off the Supra engine harness, then using the previously mentioned file I made up an adaptor to connect the Soarer engine harness to the Supra body harness (as per the pics above).

Aside from that adaptor there were only about half a dozen other connections that had to be made.... new wiring had to be run for the Alternator (IG, S and L), hydro fan temp sensor, A/C pressure sensor and B+ power from the passenger side kick panel to the connector under the fuse box.

To connect these points up, a small wiring loom was made that I ran along the chassis (under the front RH quarter panel) across the rad-support, around the air-box and then down to the alternator. For the main power output from the alternator I spliced part of the Soarer cable onto the Supra body loom.

Anyway, I hope this helps out potential UZA80 owners in the future! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Andy, and welcome to Lextreme. Nice work you've done there with that spreadsheet.

I didn't read your whole thread there on SF. What's the status of your car; are you running with the 1UZ now? Any plans for forced induction?

Cheers man, I'm just happy to make a contribution back to the forum - the info on here has saved me a few times already!

Its all up and running now. :) I should stop linking to that SF thread, it hasn't been updated in years...

As for the engine swap, I made a post-build thread on toymods:
http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50505

For the moment I've just got a few last touches to do to pass an engineering inspection, then probably just a few light mods... its my daily driver, so I don't want to go too crazy spending on it just yet. :D

Youtube vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2anXGPcLpXI

I should have said "belated" welcome. I see that you've been a member since 2007.

Looks & sounds great on the dyno! How much did it make?

Cribj - haha, no problem... i'm a long time lurker, first time poster. :D It made 130rwkw, which is exactly the same peak power as the N/A 2J that used to be in the car. :( The 1UZ makes more torque though. Hopefully this can be fixed with a standalone ECU further down the track.

Lextreme - lol it started out neat, but the closer and closer I got to starting it the messier and messier it got. :D Haha, nah I'm not Chinese - I'm fair dinkum Aussie mate!