Forced Induction for SC430?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

skandalous1

I am entertaining the idea of boosting my SC430. I searched and saw a thread about using a cobra supercharger and another one about the "fish". I know that the 3UZFE has some weak points and can only handle so much in stock form. I would like around 425-450hp. Any thoughs and suggestions? Thanks in advance.

I am entertaining the idea of boosting my SC430. I searched and saw a thread about using a cobra supercharger and another one about the "fish". I know that the 3UZFE has some weak points and can only handle so much in stock form. I would like around 425-450hp. Any thoughs and suggestions? Thanks in advance.

425-450 flywheel HP or rearwheel HP? 450 flywheel is around 360rwhp.

That is doable on a stock block IF YOU DO NOT DETONATE or PRE-IGNITE.

450rwhp is around 560 flywheel and that is not going to be reliable on your stock engine. With upgraded rods and pistons that figure is available and more.

The Cobra uses an Eaton 122cid roots style supercharger that will be a challenge at best under your hood. The "fish" is a bracket for a centrifugal supercharger and is not designed for the SC430 and will not likely work.

A few have turbocharged their SC430s with various results.

How much are you willing to spend?

I honestly think the centrifugal is the easiest form of forced induction our cars. M112 is good but the VVTi currently not available according to my knowledge. Secondly the M112 will not directly bolt on or clear the hood. The Fish was made for the LS400 and some members are fitting it into the SC400 with some mods it fit ok. The Fish never try on the VVTi engine (GS400 or SC430) so we dont know if it will work or not.

The hood could be modified by my body guy to accomodate a supercharger. What I didnt take into account was the VVTI issue. I know custom turbo = big $$$ so im thinking N2o may be a better solution. Does the 3UZFE handle N2o ok? How much can be sprayed reliably?

The hood could be modified by my body guy to accomodate a supercharger. What I didnt take into account was the VVTI issue. I know custom turbo = big $$$ so im thinking N2o may be a better solution. Does the 3UZFE handle N2o ok? How much can be sprayed reliably?
I actually don't think the VVTI is an issue, although it's questioned several times. The fact is several member already boosted their GS and SC VVTI engines successfully. I think Morris turbocharged his GS400 VVTI and ScottUrnot supercharged (M90) his SC400 VVTI. They all make crazy power all day long. As long as you can fit the system under the hood and give the engine enough fuel for this lo-mild boost, let alone the timing, it'll be ok.

I have vvti, and it hasnt been an issue thus far. Plenty of other issues but not VVTI. If you want over 375 to the wheels my reccomendation is to put in forged rods and pistons, you will also need a decent computer for fuel and timing. Autronic is supposed to be a good match but no one to my knowledge has hookde up the VVTI controls to it thus far. So while some are running it on VVTI engines, as far as I know it is not controlling VVTI.

My concern was not the function of VVTi. It was the VVTi heads configuration is different so the VVTi style manifold is not currenctly available yet. In LS400 stand point. Richwood manifold will work from 1989 to 1997 LS400. However, 1998 have different lower manifold angle and it wont fit. In SC400 stand point. Richwood manifold would work from 1992 to 1997. 1998 would be different and it would not fit. ALL 1998 and newer heads are VVTi and the current manifold would not work. However, I have heard Richwood was working on the new VVTi style heads manifold and will be out soon.

Thanks for the feedback. I would be content with 350-375 rwhp. Is this richwood manifold being made to accomodate the M112 or similar superchargers? Is a piggy back or standalone still needed for low boost with vvti?

Well that depends upon what you consider low boost, I think Rod Millen expected you to run their kit 5psi and under on the factory computer. But 5 psi is in my experience unlikely to get you to 350 rwhp.

Fella's im searching now, but have a similar question to skandalous1. Im crafty and fabricate misc "stuff". If I were to fab up a turbo or supercharger setup. What do the 4.3L motors need for ems ? How does the OBDII act when FI becomes involved ? Can they run on the MAF or do you need a voltage clamp and additional injectors ?

EDIT: oh and how does the drive-by-wire system act ? does it stay fully functional ?

According to Richwood the intake should be available in the spring. The angle on the heads is different than the 1UZ. Apparently with a twin screw it will fit beneath the hood of the SC430. Intercooling is supposed to be available as well. More important for the Roots than the twin screw. Lextreme has the stroker kit available for the 3UZ now if you are going to relace the rods and pistons (sounds like it is adviseable). Heads are available too but I don't know if the cams are for NA or SC. Fuel management is the big question and weither or not you can maintain your cruise control and VSC stability control. The fuel system is returnless apparently and the pump has three speeds. Over 500 hp the tranny probably won't last.
Still investigating!

Fella's im searching now, but have a similar question to skandalous1. Im crafty and fabricate misc "stuff". If I were to fab up a turbo or supercharger setup. What do the 4.3L motors need for ems ? How does the OBDII act when FI becomes involved ? Can they run on the MAF or do you need a voltage clamp and additional injectors ?

EDIT: oh and how does the drive-by-wire system act ? does it stay fully functional ?
You can use the FMU to raise up the fuel pressure safely to 7 psi of boost and the max is 9 psi. This means you can roughly make a little more than 100 hp. Mr. Lextreme has the fuel injector holders so you may use them along with the Split Second fuel controller to add more fuel if you intend to boost more than 9 psi without using the FMU. The only thing is you need to fabricate the holders and how the additional injectors will distribute the fuel to all cylinders evenly. Both of these above setups shouldn't interfere with the stock condition. These setup won't make the stock ECU know you're in need of gas and boosting. Idle and cruising will be just like stock. The fuel will only be added once you're boosting.

Great feedback everyone. Sounds like its very possible to make this happen then. Any ideas as to how much $$$$ one should budget for something like this?

....well, just put out enough money in, so it doesn't ruine your beautiful SC 430....so keep safety margins...and forged internals !...a 1UZ ucf20 block will NOT a survive 100hp increase because of the weaker rods as can also be found in the 3UZ block...

Supercharger might be the safest/cheapest way....

Also check if the 3UZ cams can make the power you want...
(My 3UZ cams have just been adjusted to make 4 digit hp :bigok: )

The question is if it is supercharged with a twin screw what sort of cams should be used. If the pistons are replaced the CR can be dropped and the cams could be used to open up the intake to use the Miller cycle.