Finally running (sort of)!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
where on earth would you be abel to buy a new LS? for that sort of money?

over here in europe they're still expensive as hell, might be tempted to import one maybe.
sorry to say the 1uz is givving me problems regarding getting it approved road legal.

sorry fot the trhread highjack,

PS I would like to see some pictures also.

grtz Thomas

Sorry end of Hijack.

Striker,

You may have to do what we do here and put the car through with a standard engine and ecu, some things tend to fall off and others get bolted on after rego if you know what I mean.

Just a very quick search found this 6lt on ebay but there are many more deals around at the moment. A friend just bought a 6lt complete (including ecu starter and alt) with a 6 speed Tremec box bolted to it for 6k.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cobber (Brett),

I've "invested" $10,000.00 in exhaust and inlet plumbing for this vehicle.

I now have to have a few modificiations made to make it all fit. No doubt I'll pay for this!

Currently the driver's side header hits the front diff if I go to full flex and the resonators hit the rear diff if I chose to hit a bump. To overcame problem 1 fitted higher springs in the front (at my cost ) but now I can't drive into the local Westfields becaes I destroy the parking indicators!

I'm pretty well gutted that my engine struggeld to run for a month (with a broken cam drive) and now takes 5 seconds to get up oil pressure.

I think I'm looking at an engine failure within a month and am just so "over it" I no longer care.

I haven't found a single supplier/repairer/fabricator in Sydney who give s A damn.

To sum it up I'd rather burn it and walk away than keep going.

Rod I'm sorry to hear your pain and after such a long journey it kind of sucks big time.

I have no idea what to suggest, this is all a hobby for me so I do everything myself even if I have to do it more than once.

Maybe there are some Sydney siders can help out one weekend?

We have a small group of cobra / kit car, hot rod builders here that are helping each other out and it makes a huge difference.

That's very sad to hear Rod....reminds me of Bill and his V8 Cressida saga.
Bill sold his car in a fit of depression and now is trying to coax the new owner to sell it back :)

Having been burnt by 'reputable' workshops in the dim dark past i now do everything i possibly can myself and very rarely farm work out beyond a select group of friends. Maybe time to slowly set about fixing the issues yourself? The satisfaction of a job well done and you get exactly what you want?

Either way, best no to make a rash decision until you have a clear head eh

Cobber (Brett),

I've "invested" $10,000.00 in exhaust and inlet plumbing for this vehicle.

I now have to have a few modificiations made to make it all fit. No doubt I'll pay for this!

Currently the driver's side header hits the front diff if I go to full flex and the resonators hit the rear diff if I chose to hit a bump. To overcame problem 1 fitted higher springs in the front (at my cost ) but now I can't drive into the local Westfields becaes I destroy the parking indicators!

I'm pretty well gutted that my engine struggeld to run for a month (with a broken cam drive) and now takes 5 seconds to get up oil pressure.

I think I'm looking at an engine failure within a month and am just so "over it" I no longer care.

I haven't found a single supplier/repairer/fabricator in Sydney who give s A damn.

To sum it up I'd rather burn it and walk away than keep going.

STOP...

put it AWAY...

do something ELSE... for a while.

When you can look at it again without expelling your lunch :684: take another look at it. You have traveled too far to allow it to win. Just need to let the wounds heal first before returning to "battle".

John,

I had 3" straight through "turbo" mufflers. They're back on it now.

We tried 3" tripple pass muflers but it ran like a dog. When changing them over I found the shop had fitted 2 1/2" units which would explain a lot of the loss of performance. More money down the drain.

MOST 3" mufflers are in fact standard internals with larger "ends". Many 2.5" mufflers are not even 2.5" internally.

I'm looking at fitting Super Trap disc converters to it after the resonators so I can quieten it down when I want and let it annoy the neighbours when I feel like it.

What do you think of the idea?

Not a fan of the supertrapps.

Finding some actual 3" perforated (not louvered) straight through resonator mufflers to add to the system will help. A crossover can also help cancel some frequencies. There are a number of ways to quiet the system without killing flow. Do you have any undervehicle pictures?

In reallity I've just about given up on it all. Sick of being stuffed around and not being able to drive it. The truck has been running for 4 months and still not tuned right.

Getting anyone to do work on it and do it right is near impossible and then you get charged stupid money for the (half done) work.

I'm considering a standard engine and just drive it. Although an LS3 is looking easier all round. 500hp easy and cheap as.

More than once I have suggested to others to TEST their turbo/supercharger creations with a stock longblock. Much cheaper and allows tuning and other mistakes without destroying high priced parts and assemblies.

It would also be very cool to see the power differentials of the stock engine vs. a built assembly. To change now from the xUZFE platform doesn't make much sense. Maybe (after a cool down period) pull the built longblock, swap in stocker and play with that. Then you can use the truck, perfect your tuning skills and examine your built engine to see what it really needs.

For now... have a beer and go watch a buddy mess with his project!

Alright Rod, time to come hang out in my shed for a while mate. We can comisserate on build time, getting ripped off (sometimes by "mates", saying "I should have done it different" alot and crying on each others shoulders... Then we'll get drunk and tell lies about how fast we drive. :)

Come racing and have a play weekend with us mate. How bout milbrodale?

John,

I could go back to a stock block and drop the boost to 10psi (max) and retain all the inlet and outlet sytem and sell/giveaway the longblock.

I'll organise under car shots to show there isn't any room left under there. Currently the exhaust doesn't have any crossover or balnace tube.

The noise problem is once it comes on boost.

My major problem is I suspect the engine has a terminal oil pressure problem.

It ran for a month with the broken cam drive (before I stripped the top down at the engine builders to solve the problem) and so much unburned fuel went into the sump the the oil would grab when you rubbed it between your fingers.

It now takes a couple of seconds to bring up oil pressure when it starts but runs good oil pressure otherwise.

I've had a litany of problems (not of my making) that have seen the truck parked for weeks at a time.

Try 5 weeks to build an exhaust system, 3 weeks to build the inlet system or 4 weeks at the dynotuners! and now I can't get it on the rollers until after Easter!

I think I get charged by the "week" the more "weeks" it lives in a workshop (without any work being done) the more I get charged.

Gary,

I may just come across and get smashed in your garage as you suggest.

I'll have some of that and I'll even bring lots of good reds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drag it down to the Toyota Nats at Dubbo mate....it'll blow their minds and the copious alcohol that flows will be good for your sole. Plus you'll get a ride in a turbo version ;)

And I was annoyed{pissed off} with mine dropping compression in in no 7 getting blowby and loosing the rear main.

Rod, like John said walk away from it for a while, then when you feel like it, get back to it.

Paul.

John,

I could go back to a stock block and drop the boost to 10psi (max) and retain all the inlet and outlet sytem and sell/giveaway the longblock.

I agree with all the suggestions, sit back and take a break, go for a drive with Justen (just take some spare undies!), share some red with some online friends and chuck a stock motor in and have some fun!

Either way, don't sell it off as you'll always have that 'if only I kept it and perservered.........' You have a very unique 4wd Rod and I'd love to see it
finished - it was a blast going for a drive in it in Canberra - a real headturner!
Eddy

Justen,

I wouldn't trust it to get to Dubbo and back. Pity as it's crossed the Simpson Desert and done another 100,000km when it had the Rover engine.

Ed, (the Doctor)

Thanks for the offer but it can wait on Yavuz.

Ed, (In Canberra)

You're right I would regret selling it for a second time! I sold it in 2000 and then swapped my wife's Mercedes 300CE for in 2004. So I know what it's like to not own it. My kids love it and my wife hates it. What would be new about that?

Thanks to all those who have offered moral support plus the few others who have offered to help sort it out.

My red wine consumption seems to move in sync with the cars progress, or lack thereof. Right now I think I'm in line for a liver transplant. But hey, at least I'm supporting the Australian wine industry single handed.

$750 for a stocker at Ichiban, drop one in for now and get to love it again! We'll go to stocko and take a couple of the non 4WD boys to show em what it's like ;)

Then you can chip away at the Hulk version as the motivation returns. 7psi in my big 4Runner is fun enough, 10psi on a stocker for now will have you smiling again!

The exhaust can easy be fixed..
;
;
If it holds good oil pressure after it finallly gets up there..
It could possibly be fine...

Looks like I killed it!

The engine appears to have lifted the driver's side (US passenger's side) head.

Not sure where to from here.

I'll probably pull the engine and start stripping it to see what happened.

I think this is called giving you character! Or slashed wrists. Or a divorce!!!