Finally got my EKT headers!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

kc95sc400

I know this should maybe be in the exhaust section but I"m putting it here since these headers are going on my boosted SC400.

After waiting almost a year, they are here! I got the headers Tuesday and will be installing them this upcoming Wednesday! Likely going to run the 1/4 again next week as well.

Let me know what you guys think!

KC

I wouldn't say "equal length" but they do look nice and are far and away better than the original pipes.

You must have thought you would never get them.

I will be sure to report on fitment / effect and will do my best to take some pics of the install. Also, I was thinking about making a before / after video clip so the difference in sound can be heard.

I'm still planning on a Wednesday install BTW.

KC

How about some before and after Dyno figures?

I won't have time since I'm installing them tomorrow. I also don't have money. LOL

I did dyno at 310 rwhp and 268 rwtq @ 7.39 psi. Since then I have installed a smaller pulley and a colder thermostat which should increase the numbers some. Also, for some reason I hit more boost on the street then I've been able to make on the dyno. Anyway, I'm hitting 10psi+ now.

I will likely at some point go to the dyno after install. Won't be 100% conclusive as to what the actual header gain is but it should still be insightful.

KC

Alright guys, here are some vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4EscV_tA4E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UPr2-UieRw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwZY7ci2xF0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHqyVBzPuyM

As you can see, I still have plenty of low end, tire shredding power.biggrin.gif No brake boosting and I laid quite a trail on the third video.

Sounds a little raspy from outside, wasn't expecting that. I think I'm probably giving the Dynomax Super Turbo's (3 pass chambers) a little bit of a workout.

At this point, I'm thinking I should upgrade the mufflers and up the piping to 2.5 inch. Let me know what you guys think.

KC

Great vid... loving the gear whine from your centrifugal. How many psi are you running? I have half of my exhaust 2.5'' and wanted to do the entire system 2.5'' but just figured its too big unless i get over 10psi....think 300rwhp is too low for 2.5''? Yours sounds mean tho... I could see that waking up quite a few stang owners.:yell:

Great vid... loving the gear whine from your centrifugal. How many psi are you running? I have half of my exhaust 2.5'' and wanted to do the entire system 2.5'' but just figured its too big unless i get over 10psi....think 300rwhp is too low for 2.5''? Yours sounds mean tho... I could see that waking up quite a few stang owners.:yell:

I'm somewhere in the 10psi region, I haven't been paying attention to how much boost I've lost with the headers.

Since I don't seem to have lost much, if any low end power with the headers, I'm thinking I will go 2.5 inch eventually.

I made 310rwhp at 7.39psi with the intercooler. I've since put on a smaller pulley, tightened up my belt, colder t-stat and of course, the headers so I think I can justify the 2.5 inch.

I've seen and raced a few Mustangs at the track and they are nothing to worry about most of the time.

KC

nice Kc... must be getting close to 400rwhp?.... thats gotta be a ride. Figure 2psi more at 40rwhp and headers at another 30 and your around 380rw... inspiring! Anywho would you say the header upgrade would be the equivalent of 2psi of boost? For some reason i have been looking at headers like that.

nice Kc... must be getting close to 400rwhp?.... thats gotta be a ride. Figure 2psi more at 40rwhp and headers at another 30 and your around 380rw... inspiring! Anywho would you say the header upgrade would be the equivalent of 2psi of boost? For some reason i have been looking at headers like that.

I think 400rwhp is a bit optomistic. It's hard to say really. I've been to the dyno on two occasions and I've never quite hit my full boost, not really sure why.

It's also hard to guess at header gain. I know Scotturnot gained 20rwhp peak with his car in NA form. The guy on this forum who has the custom 4-1 headers gain thread claims 30rwhp. It's hard to say.

I would personally be more interested in the gains throughout the powerband rather than a peak gain.

I would guess if I went back to the dyno on a 70 degree day (same ambient temp as the other two times I went) I might see in the 350rwhp range. Just a guess, might be more, might be less. There's only one way to know for sure.

Keep in mind since the last time at the dyno I have installed headers, smaller pulley (2.41 to a 2.25), colder thermostat, and tightened my belt.

KC

Random installation and driving notes with these headers...

Well, installation of headers on an SC400 is a PITA. Likely one of the most difficult mods to do on the car. I had the front subframe pretty much dropped, the only things I didn't mess with were the brake lines, abs wires and the sway bar. With all that still connected, I had the frame lowered from the body about 6 inches or so. Removal of the driver's side heat sheild was one of my biggest battles. I also removed the oil and transmission dipsticks, easy to remove but difficult to put back. I also removed the motor mounts on both sides. Most of the manifold bolts aren't too bad to get to from underneath with the right combination of swivel sockets and extensions. The passenger side manifold is easily to remove compared to the driver's side.

Installing the headers is pretty much the reverse of removing the OEM manifolds. The pipe routing of the driver's side header made it impossible to tighten two of the bolts from underneath, I had to shove my arm inbetween the valve cover and the strut tower from under the hood to get at them. They fit right in, clearing the motor mounts, steering shaft, frame, trans, ect. No problems fitting to the engine and the body and everything else.

But...the header flanges did not line up with the y pipe flanges, not even close. The passenger side wasn't too bad to force over but the flange angles were all wrong causing a bad leak. The driver's side was way off. I managed to pry the header back exhaust over enough to get the bolts in but it wasn't pretty. Again, the flange angles were way off and pushing the header back exhaust over was causing it to hit the body in a couple of places.

I left the car on the lift overnight and drove to an exhaust shop the next day to have the problem fixed. Cost a pretty penny. The flange alignment is the only major problem I had, everything else fits great. Funny that the seemingly easiest part of the design (making sure the flanges line up) was way off and all the hard parts (clearing everything else in a very tight engine bay) were perfect. Go figure. I suppose it could have been much worse. I have also modified the manifold support bracket so that it could be used. I think this bracket is very important for the life of the headers. Keeps the flanges from flexing on the heads, they move with the engine rather than with the rest of the exhaust.

So I had the battery disconnected during the install. Drove to the exhaust shop and dropped the car off. I didn't get a chance to really drive it, do any testing that night. My ride home was full of traffic. Over the next couple of days I started to drive it a little bit harder. At first, I did seem to lose a bit of low end response, but this seems to have cleared up. Possibly the ECU is learning.

Now, after driving for a few days, I can say that I LOVE the headers. My car feels like a completely different car. Sounds completely different as well. I still have plently of low end and awesome mid and top end. It's fantastic really. If I stomp the throttle while rolling at 20mph, I loose traction, even with the pair of 275's in the back being turned by the Torsen diff. All I can say is wow.

Despite the 9 hours I spent at work on my day off to install them and the unexpected expense of making the headers line up with the rest of my exhaust system, I am very happy with them and very glad to have finally gotten and installed them.

Whoo Hoo!

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the rest of my exhaust, and figure out how to pay for it. LOL. Since it seems I still have plently of power down low, I'm really leaning towards a 2.5 inch setup installed with either an OEM like y to y setup or an x pipe. I'd like to get some better flowing mufflers but I'm not sure what to get yet and I am concerned about getting TOO loud. I wouldn't mind a bit more noise but I don't want it to be obnoxious.

I would be happy to hear suggestions....

KC

Some other install pics...

Also a couple of pics of the rest of my exhaust before making it fit the headers and the alignment issue 5th picture down.

Excellent post. Great pictures.

Comments:

I am glad you fixed the misalignment of the exhaust system to the header flanges. When people force the pipes to fit and tighten bolts tension is created which leads to cracking and failure. I do not know if the misalignment will be a problem with every set of these headers but the whole idea of a direct bolt in was a big selling point.

I am not digging the downpipes or the H pipe. It looks like the H pipe (which you had added previously) joins the stock pipes 50mm (1.97")with dual 2.00" pipes, those go to resonators and then MAYBE 2.25" pipes to your 2.25" Magnaflows. This is all OK although crush bent piping. What I don't like is the position of the H section. It is where the pipes are bent toward each other and this will allow the inertial energy to charge back up the opposite pipe. I would located it a couple inches past that area where the pipes are parallel or use a Y or X design instead. Caution: all Y and X designs are NOT equal. I am not a fan of the Magnaflow X. I send people to the Burns Stainless site to see a PROPER design.

On the downpipes It looks like your exhaust guy used 2.25" pipes from the header collectors (collector diameter 2.50"?) and those pipes slip OVER your stock 50mm pipes. This creates 2 separate negative transitions. First is outlet from collectors to 2.25 which is a step and then the 2.25 to 50mm which is another sharp step.

Now, I know you want to go straight 2.5" pipes. This would eliminate the steps. With your supercharger you may do fine with 2.5" pipes although it will take a complete re-do of your system and may hurt your low end response and power.