Standalone ECU MSIII Finally Available

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

cribbj

"Supra" Moderator
Staff member
Megasquirt III is finally out, and it really has some good specs. The following is the feature list, copied from the MSIII website: http://www.ms3efi.com/index.html

Speed-density, alpha-n or MAF for fuelling calculations
16x16 fuel tables in 0.1% steps with true interpolation and movable rows/columns
16x16 spark tables in 0.1 degree steps with true interpolation and movable rows/columns
Wall-wetting transient fuel control for better driveability
On board datalogging to SDcard (max 333Hz sample rate)
Tuning by serial or built-in USB-serial port.
8 channels sequential fuel (hi-z injectors or low-z with external resistors)
2 additional fuel channels (hi-z or low-z)
8 channels sequential spark (logic level output)
6 channels mid current output for small solenoids or relays
2 'spare' conditioned 0-5V analogue inputs (+2 more raw)
Two wideband oxygen sensor input (external controller required)
(Up to eight widebands supported via external data capture) Anodyne???
GM-style stepper idle control
2 and 3 wire PWM idle control
Closed loop idle control
Closed loop mixture control - ideally with wideband
Closed loop boost control
Various boost control systems (gear, time, speed based)
Two stage variable nitrous control
2 step type launch control
CAN communications to interconnect other Megasquirt products e.g. transmission controller
Supports external data capture boards (e.g. for external EGT boards)
EGT data support (with external amplifier)
Staged injection
Dual fuel (e.g. LPG)
Table switching, (mainly for dual fuel use)
Water/Meth injection
Individual cylinder injector trim
Injector phase timing
Individual cylinder spark trim
Support for numerous OEM trigger wheel patterns.
Magnetic (VR), Hall, Opto crank sensor input
Magnetic (VR), Hall, Opto cam sensor input

DIY Autotune (one of the MS authorised dealers) is selling DIY kits for $305, or a fully assembled ECU for $540. Unfortunately they're out of stock.....

Price is amazing. Still trying to figure it out, does this mean 8 cyl COP? or no?

It means it has a full 8 ignition outputs, so if you have a V8 you can run a fully sequential ignition (one spark per cylinder on compression stroke only), or if you have a V10 or V12 (or a V16!), it'll handle those with a waste spark setup (2 sparks per cylinder, on compression and exhaust stroke).

For example, the 1st gen AEM had 5 ignition outputs, so it would do up to a 5 cylinder Audi in fully sequential mode, but a 6 cylinder Supra, or an 8 cylinder Lexus, or a 10 cylinder Viper had to be run in waste spark.

COP and CNP are just the physical arrangement of the coils with respect to the spark plugs, however you have to have at least a waste spark setup to run either one.

I'm currently running it. Works very well. I'm using es300 coils in full sequential and infinity q45 ignitors to trigger them. I Just barely got it running in my fc3s rx7 and am doing tuning as I have time. Anyone who has questions can feel free to pm me about it.

This units been out for a while now and was wondering whether, for a single turbo set up, the standard MSIII or the MSIII with MS3X expansion board is the better option. At present, either option looks to provide fantastic value for money given the $Aus.

Devojet, the MSIII and MS3X looks good as I'm interested in going sequential injection and ignition (using 2UZ CoP) and from the info available this can be accommodated. Additionally, being able wire the motor to suit the ecu and run a wide band o2 controller, all for a reasonable price is appealing. My aim is to learn, get this installed and working, then proceed to the turbo instal.

Would be interested to hear who is using MSIII to get their view on its ease of set up, programability and value for money.

Hmmmm es300 coils in full sequential and infinity q45 ignitors... >:)

I run my Adaptronic really rich and it pops (not a full backfire just a funny pop) everynow and then. I bet this setup would fix that.

Would be interested to hear who is using MSIII to get their view on its ease of set up, programability and value for money.

I have been running MS3+X since December on my 1UZ. It took a lazy day to install and get it running. I installed it in parallel with the stock ECU's controlling the accessories though. Very easy and worth every penny. I bought the non-assembled version for even greater value. Considering that I only payed ~$100 more than the SAFC's on the market, it is an incredible value. Why would anyone buy one of those over a full standalone like this? I learned how to install it and tune it all on my own and I had no previous experience with this sort of thing.

Hmmmm es300 coils in full sequential and infinity q45 ignitors... >:)

I run my Adaptronic really rich and it pops (not a full backfire just a funny pop) everynow and then. I bet this setup would fix that.

That's just your fuel tuning. You don't need a new ECU to fix that.

Last edited:
barteldoo, as this will be my first stand alone its good to hear a positive result. Even though I'm look at the more comprehensive option of re-wiring, I'm hoping it will be straight forward if I take my time. Would be interested to know what base program you used as a starting point.

barteldoo, as this will be my first stand alone its good to hear a positive result. Even though I'm look at the more comprehensive option of re-wiring, I'm hoping it will be straight forward if I take my time. Would be interested to know what base program you used as a starting point.

I put together a base map via internet research, but I changed it entirely. Honestly, I think the autofilled base map from tunerstudio (which is built around basic engine parameters designated by the user) would be plenty safe to use as a starting point. I still want to go back and consolidate my looms from the MS into the engine bay. I'm waiting for winter though.

All the ms2 installs I have done, I just used the auto filled in VE tables, set the required fuel, and ignition settings to suit the engine and it usally starts.

My current 1uz running MS2 with itbs is running on the base map that comes with the firmware except I changed the required fuel and ignition settings. It still needs to be tuned. Can't see why MS3 would be much different. The only times I have had trouble is when I have tried to use other peoples maps.