The Engine blows finally!!!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

Last night I'm leaving from my girl friends house in my 1992 SC400, this Lexus is my DD and the one that's been talked about on this forum for years..

I noticed earlier in the day, I gave it some throttle and it felt a little sluggish, first time...I thought it to be a dirty air filter or bad gas... No biggie, so last night I am going onto the freeway and hammer it... The engine stalls and shuts down at high rpm, no clunck or knocking or bang. No smoke, just off...All the dash lights go on, and I am coasting at 55mph with no brakes. I'm like oh crap the motor seized. I pull over to the side. Crank the motor and it doesn't sound normal.. Slow cranking but no odd noises to speak of..It cranks but doesn't fire up, but it just doesn't roll over like it should normally. Deeper sound or something when cranking. I called AAA and towed it back home. I check the oil and it is fine, I check everything and everything seems to be in check..

Not an electrical problem, the battery is charged, and it cranks..

It's morning now and my car is dead out side of my house, what now?

Any guesses people? What would you do next to find out the problem? Could it be a fuel cut, best case scenerio.. Timing belt snapped maybe? I don't know where to look first..

I'm actually shocked!!!:eek: Never saw the mighty 1uz-fe going out on me like this. SHOCKED, all those nitrous runs, redlining, hammering it, and it just dies like this...Very anti climatic.. I expected to go out in flames..

Now, I ether will fix or ditch the car depending on this problem.. It may be past the point of return and fixing.. Thinking of parting it out if the engine is in big trouble. I got lots of good stuff on this car still, Supra LSD, torque converter, S&S headers, Nos system, intake, exhaust, fat rims and tires. Lowered suspension, new interior, deep cell battery, brakes, walbro fuel pump, etc....

Body is perfect as well, not a ding..

The funny thing is just a day before I picked up another Transmission (my 3rd to date) from Lex at his house for this car... :mad:

Last edited:
It's been three years since I have wrenched on this car.

I guess I need the best ways to check if the fuel is being delivered to the motor, and or if the timing belt snapped. Can any one help me on the best and fastest ways to check this stuff?

What is your next step? I didnt know you have multiple girl friends. You stud.....

I got a ghetto girl that is hotter then hot, she comes with tats and attitude but the batteries are not included... That's all the play I got right now. Not a stud...I broke down in the ghetto too last night and almost got rapped.. I had to watch my back until AAA showed up just put it that way..

Thanks for the help and tips Lex.:cool: I'm looking on craigs list now for newer rides as I think I'm done with these SC's.. Errrrrr!!!!!

Last edited:
Are you sure? :D I'm just starting to love it more. heh..heh..heh. If you're not looking to mod with this SC, how about SC430 with FI?

I may just spent the entire day tomorrow removing all my high performance parts and leaving a shell behind... Then either sell the parts or merge them with a newer SC..

How do you get rid of shell a car with just a broken engine and tranny in it? I gotta figure that one out.. Wheels missing too, yipes!!..

No, no SC430 swaps.. I startes actually looking at a first year SC430 on craigs list, that's an upgrade I would welcom but those are still a pretty penny for sure and most the part.

My 4.7 hybrid is back into the LS400, this May i'll be home for summer break and will finally get it shredding rubber. I'm looking for a dead SC for a daily driver. David and myself "frankensteined' my other LS400 DD for real cheap and i'm looking to swap the powertrain into an SC shell.

"You know your thinking is out-of-round when your practical 4dr sedan becomes the project car and the 2door coupe becomes your daily" :)

Last edited:
how many miles on the car? You could install a used engine and get alot more for a complete running car. That's scary, i believe i have similar miles, of course i'm going to guess the NOS cut the life of your engine in half.

Last edited:
You know, a dead 1UZ can be as simple as a coil.

My coil plug is faulty (the 12v wire, not ignition lead) and has popped off a few times at high revs. The engine just turns off and won't start.

Not saying that's it, but you seem keen just to dump the car hehe!

Nemesis is right. Since your engine has not broken anything major yet it could vary well be something small like a coil, o2, maf or the like. Drive your SC around real hard and then pull codes.

how much you want for that shell?
Nothing, Take it away for free.. I might even throw in the dragon torque converter and headers.. Not sure about that yet, those both are real pain to get out not sure it's totally worth the effort.....:confused:

I'm going to investigate further tomorrow and get it on the blocks and go to work. I'm going to find out what's wrong with this motor.. If it's internal that's when I start stipping the good high performance parts off it.. Get back to this thread..

how many miles on the car? You could install a used engine and get alot more for a complete running car. That's scary, i believe i have similar miles, of course i'm going to guess the NOS cut the life of your engine in half.

The motor has 180,000 miles on it, it ran good that's what I don't understand.. It just failed...Tranny has 300,000 miles and barely works but does., Supra LSD 150,000 miles, good stereo system with 1000 watt amp too.. Everything else is close to new and restored.. No body damage or dings.. Eibach suspension willl stay on it too. New radiator, Flex electric fans, and all braided lines.. D/S rotors... It's was loaded and stacked, very clean in it's prime. Oh, and I ripped on it like crazy as you people know.. :eek:

If it frustrates you too much i did find a shop that did good work my sc400 cheap in San Gabriel, if you go that direction.

It doesn't frusterate me really but it is an inconvenience. Bad timing more then anything, but I do have a good mechanic myself if I feel it can be repaired without a rebuild and I can't do it.. I can do alot of the stuff on my own if I actually take the time and do it, but I don't really have the work space and or desire to do it anymore like I use too..It's always an eye sore and a pain as well to have a car broken down and sitting around your house just collecting dust... Can't have that..

I see what happens when you get use to doing that, Lex's beautiful house is a car depot of parts and projects.. Crazy, but Lex is good with that. He must have a very understanding wife...Love those Asian women, need to find me one of those myself one day..;)

I'm going to take off all the plastic engine crap and check the timing belts, going to check the fuel pump and delivery too.. After that I'll look at the plugs, wires, turn it over some more and listen carefully.. See what I can find.. Time to dust off the Craftsman tool set and put them to good use..

Thanks WD.. You were always a cool dude on the forums.