Ferrari Sound

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
180 deg headers

hi guys, i saved this a few months ago but site has now changed,and the info is no longer there, so i have attached link to the old pdf of it ,
http://lextreme.com//forums/showthread.php?t=6685
as the 1uz firing order is the same as a SBC the 2 middle exhausts on one side swap to go with the front and rear on the other side my plan as i have a rear sump is to put a group of 4 pipes together under the front part of the sump to allow the pipes to cross over.And i will use a x balance tube to raise the pitch of the exhaust note. an x also gives a few more HP than a straight across balance tube.

hi guys, i saved this a few months ago but site has now changed,and the info is no longer there, so i have attached link to the old pdf of it ,
http://lextreme.com//forums/showthread.php?t=6685
as the 1uz firing order is the same as a SBC the 2 middle exhausts on one side swap to go with the front and rear on the other side my plan as i have a rear sump is to put a group of 4 pipes together under the front part of the sump to allow the pipes to cross over.And i will use a x balance tube to raise the pitch of the exhaust note. an x also gives a few more HP than a straight across balance tube.

The tube you're talking about is going in the exhaust, correct? Like an X-Pipe for a mustang? Do you think the same thing would happen if I combine the exhausts in a y-pipe before the cat?

Yes the pipe is a balance tube or x crossover, from what i have read it is better than a y type i have attached a old hotrod article where they tested the difference, old but good info. I had to split into multiple PDF to post but is well worth the read.

there appears to be 2 articles there - both incomplete? what pages is supposed to come after page 4, and then again after page 13?

cool - its a decent article, im interested in finishing the 'lost' bits

Well,

depending on your aplicatioon, you could also route things the way cosworth did on the DFX turbo. exept that the DFX is flatplane, so you first build a cross-dress manifold on which the turbo's sit.

they use normal mergecollectors and then route towards the turbo's with normal single pipe 20% bigger than the primaries, just as burns advises for NA engines, these baby pump out 840hp with the regulation restrictors and boost restrictions in place so there must be something goint for it.

Though speaking sound, I would get to highflowing turbo/merge collectors and route to 180degrees on the back of the engine (midengined over here) mount 2 turbo's on the back of the head. and do 2 downpipes into one large mufler with 2 out pipes, get the revs from the engine upto 7500rpm and floor it, you should first hear the pitchi note going up followed by the woosh of the turbo's, and then all mayhem in the enginebay. :)

grtz Thomas

Ok, here's another question. What about cams for an engine with 180-degree headers? Do they use the same cams that regular headers use? Based on the articles that I've read (based on the links posted and some of my own research, and you can correct me if I'm wrong), regularly cammed V8s use a lot of duration to help extract the air out of a engine that revs high. Those cams happen to also have a lot of overlap, which helps in creating the lopey idle. Would you be able to reduce the overlap on an engine that has 180 headers and still be able to evacuate the same amount of air? Or do I have the wrong idea?

Exhaust info

Hi ed ma61,
Finally got a few minutes to sort out the above exhaust pdf's, they are from the year 2000 October issue of American Hotrod.I have checked them against the original book and the articles are complete.

PDF'S 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14 are the science and technical part behind optimizing your exhaust called Passing Gas.

PDF'S 1,2,3,4 are the Dyno testing and the results in the real world, the gains in HP are as you can see, very worth while.

Sorry about the mix up must have been a late night when i posted, hope this helps.

Best Regards
Lambo

kool - though im still a little lost - page 4 ends mid sentence?

also, my bad - i seem to have missed page 14 in my downloads - taht article is complete ;) page 4 is still a mystery though

cheers
ed

This is probably going to be a very stupid question but what would happen if you built a flat plane crank for a xUZFE (obviously without a balancer shaft since it was never designed for one) how long would it last? (How many secionds :D )

that entierly depends on how light you can make your other rotating inernals. the lighter the less vibration, but also the lighter the more wear on parts, at least thats what the race engineers always say. if an F1 engine lasts for 3 races they're not getting the most power out of it, and there can be taken further weight from the internals. (quote from williams f1)

don't forget that also 4 flat plane timed cams should be made to order. and after that the only thing left from the old engine will probably be the:
cast block, main bearing caps, and heads ex cams.

custom stuff would include
1 cranck, 4 cams, injection and ignition system from motec probably, 8 titianium rods (pauter maybe), 8 pistons, and an enormous bunch of very High grade very light bolts to keep everthing in place,

in which case youd be financially better off trying to obtain a Idm (italian-dm) ferrari modena engine.
or call KMS (kronenburg motor sport) in holland and ask them about their batch bought Audi/Lamborghini V10 engines. there's one going into an ultima as we speak.

would be brilliant effort to engineer a flatplane set for a 1uzfe though... Errol (RMS) made some sort of assumption that he would be able to pull that sort of stuff off..... so if you have silly money to spend, maybe contact him?

rev the crap out of it, with a good microfone at hand, tape it and let us hear!

regards Thomas

Ok, here's another question. What about cams for an engine with 180-degree headers? Do they use the same cams that regular headers use? Based on the articles that I've read (based on the links posted and some of my own research, and you can correct me if I'm wrong), regularly cammed V8s use a lot of duration to help extract the air out of a engine that revs high. Those cams happen to also have a lot of overlap, which helps in creating the lopey idle. Would you be able to reduce the overlap on an engine that has 180 headers and still be able to evacuate the same amount of air? Or do I have the wrong idea?

Anybody have any ideas on this?

custom stuff would include
1 cranck, 4 cams, injection and ignition system from motec probably, 8 titianium rods (pauter maybe), 8 pistons, and an enormous bunch of very High grade very light bolts to keep everthing in place,

Oh absolutely. Pauter make titanium rods you say? what about pistons? :684:

or call KMS (kronenburg motor sport) in holland and ask them about their batch bought Audi/Lamborghini V10 engines. there's one going into an ultima as we speak.

Three words:

TELL

ME

MORE! :biglaugh:

Is this who we are talking about?:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=305756&f=20&h=17

would be brilliant effort to engineer a flatplane set for a 1uzfe though... Errol (RMS) made some sort of assumption that he would be able to pull that sort of stuff off..... so if you have silly money to spend, maybe contact him?

Interesting, has Errol got any input on this?

rev the crap out of it, with a good microfone at hand, tape it and let us hear!

Hell yes, I promise you if I win the lottery you guys would be the first to see/hear :)