ZR1, Porcshe, GTR, Ferrari motortrend race..

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
I'm a big Porsche fan, but if it came down to buying a $100,000+ PRODUCTION car, I'd go American (else, Ultima GTR). The engine alone is a work of art... Dry sump oiling, supercharged, the works... Then lets look at Nissan's transmission just tearing gears to shreds after using the launch control too many times. There's a thread for that on the internet somewhere..

As its been said elsewhere, "Most of us will never out-drive the capability of our car... including pulling ~1 G on the skidpad or driving the Vette at 200 miles an hour...

EDIT: Let me qualify my statements... We're do-it-yourself car enthusiasts right? Of the few thousand people that own these cars... how many do you think 1) service their own car and 2) actually use those performance stats as anything other than a name-drop to prove their "status"?

I would never buy a GTR based on the launch control and transmission failures being reported... Those problems are not being covered under warranty by the Nissan dealer either.. Just the fact that the transmission is not covered under full warranty the day you drive the car off the lot is a sign that says to me don't buy this car... Some GTR owners are just devistated by this.....

The ZR1 I would not buy either...Inside cockpit feel is hurrendous to me, legs and arms are pinned in, can't move around comfortable.... Being a tall guy it just wouldn't work for me... I got too cozy and comfortable with the feel of my SC400 over the years I guess...

Don't know about the other two sports cars, maybe too expensive is the first words that comes to mind.... The newer Porsche's I've driven in are comfortable, handle real well but are small, have a bit of a go-cart feel to them from my experiences... Porsche's are doable... Ferrari's and Lambo's I just don't know a rats arse about... Pricey and finicky maybe?

My two cents anyway..

id go the zr1 purely because the gtr would be less fun to drive. give me rwd supecharged v8 anyday, over something that sticks like the proverbial to a blanket lol. even if the gtr is faster, who cares. when was the last time you were racing round the nurbergring?

While the GT-R is fast (but not fastest) it is also quick but not quickest. In fact, in the testing on the video at the beginning of this thread the quickest lap time of the group was the ZR1. Who-da-guessed-it.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...2_vs_ferrari_599_vs_nissan_gtr/lap_times.html

ZR1 lap time: 56.9 seconds.
Theys first hit the circuit in the ZR1. And right away he was on the limit, the big V-8 bellowing down the straights, standard carbon-ceramic brakes (borrowed from the Ferrari FXX and Enzo) clawing deep into the turns. "Balance is quite good," said Theys after his run. "I think the brakes need more cooling, and there's so much power you have to be very easy with the throttle. Also, I'd bet this car would easily be two seconds a lap quicker if it had paddle shifters. As it is, you have to fight to keep your hands on the wheel." We couldn't help noticing, though, that Theys was sure smiling a lot.

GT2 lap time: 57.5 seconds.
The Porsche GT2 both looked and sounded fast, in every turn the traction-control computer firing to keep the rear tires in check, the turbo flat-six spitting and hissing until the straightway allowed full power. (We ran each car with its traction/stability settings turned on in their sportiest modes, the way most drivers would use them in the real world.) "Very nice steering feel," said Theys in debrief. "A bit pointy into turns. Can be tricky at high revs when the boost comes on hard. Lots of oversteer. But the grip level is high and the Porsche is quite predictable."

599 GTB lap time: 58.0 seconds.
On the circuit, the Ferrari looked bigger than the other cars, perhaps because it tended to roll more through turns. Theys later verified that observation: "The balance is excellent, but you really need to anticipate the apex. Managing the weight [the heaviest at 3975 pounds] is a big issue. But the traction control is really refined; it steps in just enough to be helpful, but doesn't cut your speed. And the engine is just wonderful. The powerband is so wide, I was running in third gear the entire way around."

GT-R lap time: 58.1 seconds.
All eyes were on the stopwatch when the GT-R left the pits. Would the Nissan's techno-marvel four-wheel-drive system and punchy turbo mill push it past its considerably more powerful rivals on the tight, twisty LVMS infield? Would Godzilla vanquish the titans? Post-laps, Theys had this to say: "With the other cars you can control understeer with the throttle. But in the GT-R, more throttle means more understeer. When you reach the limit, though, it suddenly goes into snap oversteer. Engine response is very nice. Linear torque. Steering and braking feel are quite good. But mostly it understeers like a pig."

Well, for the price and power & performance wise comparison, I don't see any car that can beat the GTR. They always compare the GTR with cars that cost at least 1/3 or 3 times more. For example, why don't they compare the Z06 or the 911 Turbo to the GTR? It's because GTR will beat them any day in any environment.

I can't expect anything more from the GTR. Also, if you look at the GTR and other cars such as ZR1, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo...etc in person, the GTR has a huge size and weight that look like 1/4 bigger. So when all comparisons that come to the GTR, they all push it to its fullest limit. You have to see the GTR in person and other cars next to it to appreciate it. I just came to the meet this morning that had so many exotic cars. The GTR really stands out.

James,
You took a lot of picture of today's meet, could you post them up and link to this? Thanks, buddy.

Well, for the price and power & performance wise comparison, I don't see any car that can beat the GTR. They always compare the GTR with cars that cost at least 1/3 or 3 times more. For example, why don't they compare the Z06 or the 911 Turbo to the GTR? It's because GTR will beat them any day in any environment.

I can't expect anything more from the GTR. Also, if you look at the GTR and other cars such as ZR1, Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo...etc in person, the GTR has a huge size and weight that look like 1/4 bigger. So when all comparisons that come to the GTR, they all push it to its fullest limit. You have to see the GTR in person and other cars next to it to appreciate it. I just came to the meet this morning that had so many exotic cars. The GTR really stands out.

James,
You took a lot of picture of today's meet, could you post them up and link to this? Thanks, buddy.

The ZR1 costs 100K stock @ 640hp with RWD @ 3300 lbs
The Z06 costs ~70K stock @ 505hp with RWD @ 3200 lbs
The GTR costs ~80K stock @ 470hp with AWD @ 3800+ lbs

Two completely different types of power... They (read: not qualified) say 100lbs is worth 10HP, giving both Vette's some pretty serious advantage in that respect. It's all about weighing the options of each car. For anyone in this market, it isn't about price, just name-dropping... All of these cars are just plain awesome. But that's what you get with a ton of money, right?