Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Competition: value of an X pipe

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

JBrady

Here is an interesting result on a Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Competition 1

This was referenced by Vince from Burns Stainless so it is a highly reliable source.

Engine is a 4.5 liter V12 making 455hp after adding an X pipe to its 6-2 (each side) header system.

While the peak improvement was 21hp and 21tq the BIG story is in the mid range power as that is a BIG deal in terms of response and power curve. Too many people forget that an engine has an RPM RANGE that is used to accelerate the car. Unless you have an infinitely (constantly) variable transmission you will have to operate the engine over it RPM range. It is the TOTAL power/force under this range that determines acceleration.

With this engine JUST the addition of an X pipe increased torque as much as 90 lb/ft at 4500rpm which gives this engine roughly 40hp more from 4500-5300rpm and roughly 30hp from there to 6000rpm.

365-GTB-4-455hp-Graph.gif

365-GTB-4-455hp-PicL.gif

http://www.carobu.com/html/365_gtb_4_455hp.html

John, that article was one of the motivators for me to put an X pipe on my 550, so I hope it gives a similar improvement!

Josh fired the motor this evening and said the midrange "sounds" much fuller & richer.