Fastest/Cheapest stock sportscar for the buck?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

jibbby

My friend today asked me an interesting question and I could not answer it completely... The question is what is the fastest and cheapest factory used sports car that you can possibly purchase today for around the same price as a real clean early model SC300/400? A Good used SC goes for around $7,000-$8,000 USD...

I came up with this choice -

*86" BUICK GRAND NATIONAL (First choice) 0-60mph 5.0 Seconds.....

other cars that came to mind -

*CHP FORD 5.0 MUSTANG
*NISSAN 300ZX TWIN TURBO
*MITSUBISHI 3000GT TURBO
*80's CHEVY CORVETTE HRD TOP

Those cars all sell for around that same price in fair condition used... Can anyone think of any other cars I may be forgetting about?.. He is in the market to buy something for that price that is already built fast from factory, and he doesn't care too much about looks..

a 98 or up camaro or trans am with the ls1 i've seen them cheap, like around 9,000 or so. Even LT1 camaros are damn fast especially nice with a 6 speed and those would be cheaper so 93-97 z28 would be good as well. They only advertise 275hp crank but they dyno around 240rwhp stock so are more around 300hp+ and make a gob of low-end torque, excellent throttle response.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 9
  • first_plate.jpg
    first_plate.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 13
  • second_plate.jpg
    second_plate.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 11
  • transmission.jpg
    transmission.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 11
  • mill.jpg
    mill.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 12
where can you find a good condition Grand National for under 8 thousand?? The best prices I have seen on decent mileage ones are 14+. Also note that the GN for a very little investment becomes scary fast.. like 11s and lower in the quarter mile fast..

I have seen one or two G.N. in the local recycler classifieds in LA California for under 10 grand, but whether they were in good running condition or not was yet to be seen...

The Camaro's with the LT1's have a good setup for power hp building but at stock will not beat out a good running Buick Grand National (only a V6 too in the GN)...

The 240SX is a dog stock, can't keep up with a Camaro LT1, Mustang or Grand National... I suppose if you built it up you could get any light weight sportscar to motor hard expecially with a bigger engine swap, but that is not what my friend is looking for..

The Mitsubishi 3000GT V-R4 twin turbo/ Dodge stealth is probably the second choice for cheap fast cars as I can see and with a few minor mod's one can really get this car moving aswell...

I always liked the Grand National even though it looks a little like a Government issued car, but yes with a few mods that baby will roll with the best of them...Mybrain....

the lexus is the best bang for the buck, looks nice lots of possible mods with big hp gains,
i think if i had to do it again i would go with a 1992 ford mustang lx, BIG market for mods- the stock engine has more hp then the gt and the weight is lighter, the 1993 gt when way down hill after that, 2500-3000g you can start up with the car- and 4000gs for mods and i can see a 10sec car in your drive way-but will it last like a lexus (magic 8 ball says no)

I agree that both the V8 Ford and Chevy cars would be the easiest and cheapest cars to build and would most likely produce the biggest gains after a build...

I also agree for the money the sc is the choice for rides... but he is looking for a faster alternative...

The 300zx twin turbo is much like the Mits/Dodge cars and when running good is a fast car...I used to own one of these, and they can pull well when the turbo's kick in but not too torquey off the line...Too many turbo related problems as well...

For around $8000, in my opinion and my experience, a fully rebuilt turbocharged hatch-back old Civic can make at least 250 whp, which equals to more than 300 crank hp. And its weight is only 2/3 of any of the heavy powerful car, so imagine it's in the range of 350 crank hp of any V6 or V8 cars.

I can get an early 90's Civic for $1000, rebuild and strengthen the internals for $2000, put in a big turbo kit for $3000 (including fuel/timing tuning), clutch and flywheel for less than $1000, complete suspension upgrade including lowering springs/shocks, swaybars/bushings for $1000.***Please remember those above modifications are done by self-job, so no labor fee is involved. I forgot one thing, please loan me another $1000 for a set of rims/tires. This complete setup is very fun to drive with excellent acceleration, cornering, and handling.

p.s. I forgot you only mention "stock cars only". :approve:

Buy a 944 S2 or a 944 turbo. Those are fast from the factory. A LS1 swap into a 2nd gen RX7 can be pretty quick. You could probably pick up a mid 90s M3 for that kind of money. An MR2 turbo can be had for less than that and with a few tweaks can be quick. You could also look for an AWD DSM. They are a bolt on away from low 12s in the quarter.

The Porchse 944 is an oil leak waiting to happen, but Andrew and Steve thanks for your input... I personally would also go for the Fords, Chevy's or maybe even the Buick for a starting power plant for a future build.... For looks and performance at stock maybe the 3000GT tt MITS maybe the call for my pal... Thanks fellas...

I would say a 87-93 foxbody mustang in the states atleast. I had 1 that was a hatchback as my third car and AFR heads and some high flow exhaust and your in the 11s no prob. The coupes shed some weight too so there are alot of options with those.

Treynon - I know those 5.0 Mustangs can produce the juice when modified, the CHP mustangs stock are really fast if you can find a good that is not stripped.... My best friend growing up had a 1988 5.0 Mustang CHP version and it was very fast.... Unfortunately those back ends were made so light traction was always an issue in that car....Alot of people wrapped those 5.0's around poles and trees from the back ends sliding out around corners on them also...

My friends backend fell out on that 5.0 car also, the entire backend came apart, shocks housing, differential welded mounts, etc.. and he needed to weld eveything back together and sell, this was many years ago.. At the time I was racing him with my Pontiac Formula that I owned and I lost every race to that Mustang....

jibbby said:
Treynon - I know those 5.0 Mustangs can produce the juice when modified, the CHP mustangs stock are really fast if you can find a good that is not stripped.... My best friend growing up had a 1988 5.0 Mustang CHP version and it was very fast.... Unfortunately those back ends were made so light traction was always an issue in that car....Alot of people wrapped those 5.0's around poles and trees from the back ends sliding out around corners on them also...

My friends backend fell out on that 5.0 car also, the entire backend came apart, shocks housing, differential welded mounts, etc.. and he needed to weld eveything back together and sell, this was many years ago.. At the time I was racing him with my Pontiac Formula that I owned and I lost every race to that Mustang....
Ya I had an instance driving to college in 2003 when it was raining heavily and a woman in a small honda cut infront of me when she had a red going right and I put on the brakes and spun out.. luckily for me all I hit was a curb and popped a tire. They are quite the car to handle if you dont modify the suspension or get stickier tires. Same goes for those rangers, all weight up front nothing out back = slip n slide.

Attachments

• Resize1.JPG
    Resize1.JPG
    166.6 KB · Views: 2
302 mustang alllllll the way, you can build a reliable 400HP 302 with 2000$ of parts.

trans, diff are good enough, maybe he'll need a clutch.

an american 302 or 350 V8 is really THE bang for the buck.

Japanese sports car can achieve a lot of HP but they'll need more money since they've got fuel injection. you can get 4 carbs for the price of a piggy back...

i still think an lt-1 camaro 6 speed is the best bang for buck cause that lt-1 makes a lot more power stock than a 5.0 and more modified as well, plus its in a more developed newer chassis and a 94 or so should go really cheap.

there's only 50HP of difference between a 94 302HO mustang and a 94 Z-28 camaro. Yes the camaro can also make a good sports car but for the handling, body and look, usually ppl prefer the 94+ mustang.

Well now if we are all talking about older 70's and 80's cars then I would purchase the big block engines for building up power. A few that come to mind for a cheap price is the 1976 Chevy Caprice with the 7.4 liter 454 big block engine.. all the older SS models, so many to name from..Nova SS, Impala's, Trans AM, etc..there is too many to name.... Carb'd big block motors are just plain nasty for power building, no matter how much the car weighs, you can still move it with that big power plant of an engine. Especially after build up with maybe a Paxton Super Charger or Blower.......May be able to pull that off for under 10 grand...Just a thought...

I have seen built older 55' Chevy Bel Airs that weigh alot absolutely waste the compitition with just a modified 350ci engine with an A.F.I application.. Big blocks big power very simple...