Ferrari Sound

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

MindQuicken

How do you set up the exhaust to make the car sound like a Ferrari? It's a high-pitched, angry scream that gets me high whenever I hear it. It's very loud and enjoyable, unlike the usual deep rumble that sound so dull. I'm refering to the newer Ferrari's like the 360, F430, and Enzo. I haven't heard the others.

The 1UZ is 4.0L which is in between the size of the 360 and F430, so shouldn't it have the potential to sound the same?

The flat plane crank design of the Ferraris gives them that instant revving ability, and perhaps contributes to the sound. I'm with you, I prefer their sound to the normal V8 "burble" and would like to make the UZ sound similar. Perhaps most of it is in their Ansa exhaust system.

The theory is easy, doing it is another matter.

Group the outer 2 cyls from one bank with the inner 2 cyls from the other bank into 1 pipe.
Ditto the other cyls.
These 2 pipes can exit side by side or join to one.

Another way is 8 equal length to one.

The theory is easy, doing it is another matter.

Group the outer 2 cyls from one bank with the inner 2 cyls from the other bank into 1 pipe.
Ditto the other cyls.
These 2 pipes can exit side by side or join to one.

Another way is 8 equal length to one.

Very interesting way of doing things. However I don't quite understand how that contributes to that throaty Ferrari sound?

Flat plane crank V8 is 2 inline 4 cyls.
Each exh bank has 180deg between exh impulses.
Smooth exh note! 2- Yamaha m/cycles.

90deg crank V8 is 4 - V2 cyls.
Each exh bank has uneven exh impulses. Sounds like 4 Harleys

To get even 180deg impulses you have to group the outer 2 cyls on one bank with the inner 2 cyls on the other bank.
Smooth exh note !

Ferrari will turn around 8500 /9000rpm though. That also helps the sound.

Hey RMS,

Are there also improvements in power to be had this way?

I saw the manifolds on a few Mid engined Kitcars on a show in the UK. I didn't hear them, but is sound the only reason?

grtz Thomas

Hey RMS,

Are there also improvements in power to be had this way?

I saw the manifolds on a few Mid engined Kitcars on a show in the UK. I didn't hear them, but is sound the only reason?

grtz Thomas

Original Indy Ford 4 cam V8 gained around 40 bhp with this system.
Coventry Climax 1.5 ltr F1 V8 also found bhp.

Rms,

Pretty interested now: do you perhaps also know whether they (coventry) used 4 times 2-1 pieces which they then combined to 4-1 crossway?

The ones I saw in the UK where on 2 LS1 engines but those where 2 times crossway 4-1 systems with enormously long primaries. they went along the side of the engine and made 2 90 degrees bends to get to the middle above the porshce G50 box, and that's where the collertors where.
making a 2-1 version would far simpeler methinks.

grtz Thomas

ps anyone has a nice soundfile os a crossplane V8 with crossway header system on it?

Rms,

The ones I saw in the UK where on 2 LS1 engines but those where 2 times crossway 4-1 systems with enormously long primaries. they went along the side of the engine and made 2 90 degrees bends to get to the middle above the porshce G50 box, and that's where the collertors where.

ps anyone has a nice soundfile os a crossplane V8 with crossway header system on it?

That is the way to do it.

They sound just like a single plane engine.

Thanx a lot for that info!

I must make a complete set of manifolds anyway, and this should not be more work than to just do 4-1 per bank twice.
is there any reason that you didn't on the flat-slide engine? bodywork and aerodynamics perhaps?

Thanx

grtz Thomas

Although I can see the obvious benefit for turbocharged applications, it would probably be safe to say that it would be pretty complicated to route the piping to the front of the engine bay in an efficient way to make this happen, correct? There's an obvious benefit in this for an N/A or supercharged motor if the gains to be had are the same as stated by RMS, but would it be worth creating turbo manifolds that utilize this attribute? I sure would like the sound...

Striker,
Aero is of more benefit than bhp.

Kazesupra,
Is it worth doing turbo manifolds this way? Only you can make that decision, but nothing worthwile is ever easy.

What I thought!

no such problems on my side so, I think I might have a go at this.

here's a piccie of what RMS means, not very clear but you can see the spagetti of headers which combine the left and right banks headers instead of getting 4-1 per bank
climax_v8.jpg

and here more clearly in a CAV gt40

CAV-GT40-01-engine.jpg

grtz Thomas

edited for piccie's

X piped and single system UZs sound awesome, would have that note over a ear splitting ferrari scream any day......not that i don't think a well sorted Ferrari doesn't sound horn, just too much to live with.

That said though, the neighbours 430 Spider (think i have that right?) sounds horrible. 1200rpm idle like a tin full of bees and only gets worse as he drives off? My 2 stroke whipper snipper sounds like it has more grunt. I'd have taken it back and asked the dealer to make it sound like the barrow load of money is cost.

I've been too busy to contribute to this thread until now but funnily enough Striker, KS and Justen have all asked/discussed with RMS all my questions and thoughts! How funny is that.

I will continue to no longer post so you guys can asl the q's for me! ;o)

Well the two engines are basically the same litter size so the sound should be made to be similar. The difference between the two motors is in the engines operations and revs, 7000rpms compared to 9000rpm...Cam lift is night and day between the two motors, that can change sounds and rev speeds some but forget all that......

Now the exhaust systems are designed completely different so I would take the Ferrari exhaust design in the models that you like and design an idententical exhaust system and then install it on your motor and car as stated in the above posts...Better yet just find a discarded Ferrari exhaust system or atleast the mufflers at the yards.(yeah right) Just work it onto your Toyota motor and car and see what sound you get.....

No you can't coppy a ferrari system, because ferarri as said uses Flatplane crancks in theri v8 engines.

on a ferari you would have 2 times 4 -1, bank by bank, versus the crossdress manifold you would need for our crossplane lexus V8 engine.

also ferrari uses a system similair to what yamaha has in their EXUP line. I cant find anything on it but it is defenatly there because I saw it on a P4 replica engine. yamaha heas a valve which operates a resonance chamber if I'm correct, to gain torque low down. I know it sounds the buisness from my brothers FZR 1000 yamaha engine, the exup valve broke down at some day, and it got stuck open, the sound low down was very dark instead of the pitchy whine before.

damperwise, they just like lamborghini use enourmous refelction chamber dampers. which would acount for the deep howl which sounds at a lower volume than the high resonante sound. which is made in the diameter of the tail pipes btw

Ha, didn't ever thought that my schooling and experience in sound engineering would ever come in handy in my car building stuff.

grtz Thomas

So what would a Ferrarri exhaust system sound like if it were worked and made to fit on let's say a xUZ-FE motor?....Would it still maintain that deep throaty sound?.. Don't the mufflers and pipes have alot to do with exhaust sounds and noise output?

So basically from what I am reading in other terms we are basically trying to make a 4 stroke motor sound like a 2 stroke motor..If that's the case good luck....

Still don't get it do you jibby? It's about equally spaced impulses in the exhaust system. A straight 8cyl has a smooth exhaust note (vroom vroom,even exhaust impulses in the system). A conventional V8 sounds like it has 1/2 a cyl missing (bob-bob-bob, uneven impulses in the exhaust system).