Whipple 2.3L or 2.9L in 93' SC400 (140AX / 175AX)

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

iaksa

Hi all,

I was thinking replacing my current M90 on Ridgewood (shaved 10 mm off) manifold with Whipple 2.3L or 2.9L (140AX / 175AX). My SC400 '93 currently has E420C ECU and T56 manual trans, Rush headers going in soon, stock 125k mines engine. Looks like a quick search on this forum regarding 2.3 or 2.9 do not return much :(
Few questions:
- what will be better option 2.3 or 2.9 to run 15+ psi ?
- can 2.9 fit under SC400 hood, 2.3 guess should ?
- anybody has this setup, any suggestion ?
- any drawing for top Ridgewood manifold plate and inlet ?
- any way to order top plate and inlet from Ridgewood or somewhere else ?
- any option for intercooler ?
- any opinion regarding this set up ?

Thanks

A 2.3 would be plenty. great idea.

An IC would be ideal but a PITA and doubt it would clear the bonnet.

On 15psi you'd get away with a WI setup to do your intercooling easy.

for the top plate, just get a fabrication shop to match your existing one for the richwood manifold. Dummy up whipple on this to get pulley position where you want it and take it back to the fabricator to get stage 2 machining done...easy ;)

should be 280ish rwkw, possibly a bit more. That will make for a lively ride :)

Thanks, that sound as a plan.
Measuring and SC positioning should be relatively easy.
Fabricating inlet (including bypass valve) will require some time, but at least old set up is good as starting point.

2.3 is plenty. Consider the Cadillac CTS-V at 552hp and the Camaro ZL1 at 580hp both run the 1.9 liter TVS Eaton. The 638hp Corvette ZR1 and the 662hp Mustang GT500 run with 2.3 liter TVS Eatons.

Speaking of the TVS...

The problem IMO with lysolm compressors (whipple and others) is that they are true compressors that achieve internal compression. This happens under all conditions and generates heat. The Mercedes 5.4 liter supercharged AMG x55 cars used a lysolm and a drive clutch to disengage the compressor during cruise conditions.

Alternately, the new Eaton TVS superchargers have achieve compressor efficiency very near the lysolms and work very well in street conditions where the bypass does a complete job.

I havent been on here for a while, Ivan sent me a PM and I have replied to him, with some helpfull info, if I can assist any further Ivan just ask.
Let him know that I would put some pictures up for him of how mine currently is after 5 years of using it. Driven daily, on boost as realistically often as I can and quite a lot of track time at the drags. New motor soon.

m_012.jpg

m_013.jpg

m_014.jpg

221978_218200104859706_3568176_n.jpg

Great to see you back here PWD, and that your car is running reliably! Bet it's tons of fun too!

Thanks PWD for help.

That is what I want, very nice setup :)
I contacted Bullet for inlet ... waiting ... if they cannot do it than will fabricate it.
Will need closer picture from:
1. back of inlet to get position of SC bypass valve.
2. angle and lengths of inlet (angle should be same as M90 inlet)
3. bracket on inlet-TB for gas pedal still cable (currently bad design with M90)

Ivan, here are some pics from 2007 when mine was done.
m_IMG_-542a.jpg

m_IMG_0546.jpg

m_PIC00412.jpg

m_PIC00414.jpg

m_PIC00415.jpg

m_PIC00418.jpg

m_PIC00424.jpg

supercharge kit.jpg

From these pics you should be able to get an idea of the shape and size of the intake, the by pass valve is fitted between the intake and the top plate, my idle control valve is also on the intake.
You could fabricate one yourself, either 8 or 10mm plate, 10mm would be my preference.
The last pic is from the kits that Neil at Rush Imoprts used to do, they were a Richwood kit, yours, I assume should be similar.

I have also done away with the AFM by going with a Wolf V500 stand alone ECU, it has a built in map sensor.

I dont have a better pic of the intake by itself.

If you have any questions or need more specific info that I can help with, just ask, probably send me a PM, and I will reply here or PM you back.
Paul.

Link to my thread for my 1uz swapped MK3 supra and my 1.6L custom whipple setup. Feal free to ask me anything. http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9164&page=3

Recently got quote for Whipple 2.3 + snout + pulley + bypass valve and was around $3100. Magnuson MP2300 (JBrady suggestion) with all included as Whipple, quote for $800 (bypass integrated) less. Not sure if will go with Whipple - need to deal with more complicated inlet, and price. Looks like Whipple can make more power, but some people claim that Eaton new design is more efficient than screw design ... I'm not expert ...

My goal for now is to use stock 1UZFE to make close to 400RWHP if possible (no inter-cooler) - daily driven car ... if price are not acquired please correct me.

I did initial measurement, looks like MP2300 will fit on manifold with no issues (Richwood manifold lower by 10mm), please correct if I'm wrong.
If I go with MP2300 few questions are open:
- what pulley size will be for 9-10psi and for 16-17psi (can stock 1UZFE handle 16-17 psi with e420c)
- will 6 rib belt slip @ 16-17 psi ? (using same configuration as current with M90) or need different set up ?

Making that much rwhp really depends on the heat inside the intake and how much boost the setup will have. If it's too hot inside the intake, then you can't make much boost to make more power. Not sure how much power you can make with this setup, but since there's no intercooler, be careful with tuning. 400 rwhp with no intercooler is kind of hard to get, but who knows. :p

Making that much rwhp really depends on the heat inside the intake and how much boost the setup will have. If it's too hot inside the intake, then you can't make much boost to make more power. Not sure how much power you can make with this setup, but since there's no intercooler, be careful with tuning. 400 rwhp with no intercooler is kind of hard to get, but who knows. :p

I really meant to go with better supercharger, initially no intercooler, and to go as much as stock motor can handle.

Recently got quote for Whipple 2.3 + snout + pulley + bypass valve and was around $3100. Magnuson MP2300 (JBrady suggestion) with all included as Whipple, quote for $800 (bypass integrated) less. Not sure if will go with Whipple - need to deal with more complicated inlet, and price. Looks like Whipple can make more power, but some people claim that Eaton new design is more efficient than screw design ... I'm not expert ...

My goal for now is to use stock 1UZFE to make close to 400RWHP if possible (no inter-cooler) - daily driven car ... if price are not acquired please correct me.

I did initial measurement, looks like MP2300 will fit on manifold with no issues (Richwood manifold lower by 10mm), please correct if I'm wrong.
If I go with MP2300 few questions are open:
- what pulley size will be for 9-10psi and for 16-17psi (can stock 1UZFE handle 16-17 psi with e420c)
- will 6 rib belt slip @ 16-17 psi ? (using same configuration as current with M90) or need different set up ?

To put it simply, if you're going to go low boost, the Eaton seems to be more efficient. For higher boost levels, the Whipple is more efficient.