what is needed for a low mount turbo?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
ok so my master power turbo has been leaking oil. i got it rebuilt and its still doing it! so im thinking maybe i should change turbos. here is one i am looking at. i would like to know what you turbo gurus think of how it would work on the 5.7 spool time and psi. its bound to spool a lot faster then a mpt 70 .96 isn't it?

Many times it's not the turbo issue. It's the oil feed and return issue. If they're not corrected first, then you'll waste another turbo.

Oil feed: the V8 engine has very high oil pressure. The 1UZ has about 70 psi, and your 2UZ should have more pressure due to bigger engine. Too much oil pressure will blow out the seal very soon. You'll need an oil restrictor inline so it'll only feed enough oil down to 40 psi.

Oil return: make sure the oil can be freely drained out right after it exits the turbo. If the oil is still in the turbo, the turbo seal will blow.

On the new turbo, make sure the turbine outlet diameter to be at least 3". Many turbos with small turbine housing can produce big power due to its big compressor housing, but they're good for small engines. Big engines need big turbine housing to eliminate backpressure.

Thanks for the reply. I was told before that you don't use oil restrictors in a journal bearing turbo? Do I use a restrictor because I have higher oil pressure? This is a low mount turbo so I have an turbo werx Exa pump returning the oil with a -10an line. At this point I will be getting a new turbo. I don't want to mess up another turbo if it is somthing wrong with my set up. So let me know if I should change something. I would like a ball bearing one. I really don't know how to size turbos correctly so everyones help would be appreciated. What brand turbo do you think is the best and why? Garrett or precision turbos? Also what would be a good size for fast spool and about 700 hp? Preferably a t4 exhaust side with a 3 in vband exit. Compressor side I currently have a 4in inlet and 2.5 in exit. So I would like one that I dont have to change my piping.

I highly doupt the issue is the turbo...
More the application...
The oil is NOT getting away quick enough..
It's full of air after leaving CRA and very thick like whipped cream...
A small sump under turbo helps..
Also check crankcase pressure and how crakcase is vented..
You MAY be boosting crankcase ???
Precision seem to have it over Garret at present..
I would be looking at 66mm [or so] comp side and T4 turbine side A.R between .82 1.10

I'd strongly think journal bearing turbo needs an oil restrictor with the 1UZ engine. I had bad experience without an oil restrictor with my journal bearing turbo. I did some research further, and the journal turbo can take take some oil pressure up to 50 psi. The 1UZ creates 70-71 psi. That's overkill. An oil restrictor can also help if you don't have a good drain line. Less oil in, then less oil out, and less chance of the oil not being fast enough to drain out.

Without seeing your engine.. The breather from rocker cover to inlet or throttle body MUST be disconnected and plumbed to air cleaner via catch can [oil separator] ..
The PCV is o/k left there BUT I suggest adding a good one way valve as in some brake booster lines in some cars..PCV keeps oil clean and free from condensation etc..
Any part of crank breathing system where boost can enter crankcase must be re-routed ..
Oil return lines should be atlast 5/8 in size and run vertical to evac pump or engines sump/ pan..
For 4 to 5 inches before no more than 45* angle at most..
I suggest you read through this forum http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?board=33.0
As your questions are very newby

I have the breather from the rocker panel connected to a air clean not the intake. I do have the PVC hooked to the intake. The truck only smokes on start up until you clear out the turbo. Then I don't see any smoke until I let it sit for a couple hours.

I guess to check where the issue is [if any?] is to check pipes either side of turbo, inlet manifold etc...
It could be an over rich fuel AFR on start up ???
It's a Toyota not a Chev ...

To me it seems to be the turbo. I have some oil in the intake pipe and exhaust pipe. Before i had the turbo installed i was running the truck and no oil was being burned. As soon as i installed the turbo, oil puffed out the tail pipe only until i cleared out the turbo once by revving the engine then i didn't get any smoke.

Yes it seems a seal issue or oil drain problem...
Ball bearing turbo's operate better in these conditions due to
less oil supply required...
I would be looking for around 66mm turbo...
Have tried running the evac pump longer after shutting engine down ??
Being the Master Power is quite cheap.. I would fit a 1.5/to 2mm restrictor on feed line..As these engines run quite high oil pressure...
Yes oil cools the centre housing.. But it's quite a large turbo ...

ok so im looking for another turbo. i don't know if there are anything that would just bolt on without modifying the pipes? i had the mp t70 .96
any suggestions?

T04 turbine ?? The T04Z .
The GTX3585R would spool quick and make good pulling power..
1.06 V band or T3 housing...
http://gcg.com.au/AllImage/Products/Garrett%20Spec%20Sheets/GTX3582RvsGT3582R.jpg
">GT3788R is another ?? With T04 turbine ..
I would go the .85 A.R for super responce...
This should bolt up to the M.P turbine flange..

One of my fav turbo's on 4.0 engines is the T04Z...
Built to fit on Supra 2J engines in Japan...
Specs..

I would go with .84 to 1.00 A.R ...

Precision have numbers also..
PT6266
http://www.precisionturbo.net/Stree...Street-and-Race-Turbocharger---PT6266-CEA/479
PT6765
http://www.precisionturbo.net/Stree...ils/Street-and-Race-Turbocharger---PT6765/241
In ball bearing is an option..

Borg Warner EFR..
These would work on low with everthing intergated..
http://borgwarnerdealer.com/

Last edited:
Yep I wouldn't use one just yet... I guess they need maintenance too like Powerdyne superchargers.. PITA to change oil... See how they last endurance wise at someone else's expense ...