UZFE KA24 Swap, Flywheel Help Needed

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

pnwsc

Using Brett Collins KA24 manual swap kit. The flywheel is a 3s-GTE to my knowledge and I have ground the ring gear teeth to properly engage with the starter gear teeth. Now I am having problems getting it on, the flywheel to the crankshaft. Collins said it was a .002” press fit, the flywheel to the crankshaft. He told me I should hammer it on nice and straight with a big socket, as you would a pilot bearing. I’ve talked to a couple of mechanics and friends with considerable car experience and they say that hammering it on could cause a huge issue causing the crank to thrust more than it should, or that if it was hammered on lopsided it would imbalance flywheel and cause massive issues.

I am seemingly left with two options;
Hammer it on
OR
Get it machined out .001” or .002” to fit

Most machine shops around me are close 3-4 weeks backed up and I don’t know anyone with a lathe. If hammering would work I’m fine with doing it, as long as I’m not gonna screw up the motor. has anyone dealt with this issue and has any advice?

thanks
grant

Why not apply heat to increase the centre bore a bit.

That's how ring gears are fitted.

I'd pop it in the oven at whatever temp is recommended for ring gears and let it sit at that temp for an hour of so and then slide it on.

Personally I wouldn't use it as the mounting is suspect on a 3s-GTE flywheel as the boltholes have been elongated. I'm really attached to my lower legs and feet.

Using Brett Collins KA24 manual swap kit. The flywheel is a 3s-GTE to my knowledge and I have ground the ring gear teeth to properly engage with the starter gear teeth. Now I am having problems getting it on, the flywheel to the crankshaft. Collins said it was a .002” press fit, the flywheel to the crankshaft. He told me I should hammer it on nice and straight with a big socket, as you would a pilot bearing. I’ve talked to a couple of mechanics and friends with considerable car experience and they say that hammering it on could cause a huge issue causing the crank to thrust more than it should, or that if it was hammered on lopsided it would imbalance flywheel and cause massive issues.

I am seemingly left with two options;
Hammer it on
OR
Get it machined out .001” or .002” to fit

Most machine shops around me are close 3-4 weeks backed up and I don’t know anyone with a lathe. If hammering would work I’m fine with doing it, as long as I’m not gonna screw up the motor. has anyone dealt with this issue and has any advice?

thanks
grant
.002" is a massive press fit, you'll most likely damage the flywheel if that's the case. it should be .0002" to .0004" clearance.
also the 3sgte flywheel is a complete pile for use with the uz engine. 3VZ is the correct flywheel to use. it has the right ring gear, facing the right direction, with the relifs on the correct tooth face.

Last edited:
Why not apply heat to increase the centre bore a bit.

That's how ring gears are fitted.

I'd pop it in the oven at whatever temp is recommended for ring gears and let it sit at that temp for an hour of so and then slide it on.

Personally I wouldn't use it as the mounting is suspect on a 3s-GTE flywheel as the boltholes have been elongated. I'm really attached to my lower legs and feet.
.002" on a bore that small you'd have to heat it to damn near the melting point lol :)