Towing Capacity & Turbocharge

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Not to bring back the Diesel topic, but my 03 Duramax get 22 MPG empty on the highway and the HD gasser get about 11-12 MPG. Also it is fast 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile. It is over 7000lbs but it will smoke my SC and my brothers GS400 (I thought he was going to cry) from the stoplights by about 50 ft. For that reason he just ordered a TQ and a LSD. Hopefully that will make it a closer race, I feel bad smoking him so bad in my work truck. Oh and the only mod I have on the truck is a programmer set on level 3 out of 5.

Hey Steve pass on the 4cyl if you have ANY intention of towing a trailer. I own a 2.7L 4wd with (engine mods listed) electric fan, custom intake, header and custom high flow exhaust. It's quick until about 40mph (without any weight in it) but after that it just makes a lot of noise and accelerates very slowly. If you are towing something you will be screwed. Oh and the fuel mileage drops as soon as you start adding mods to it. I love revving the crap out of the engine and shooting around but I'm over it.

I gathered all the parts to turbo it and even started on the header until I looked up the costs for the engine management system. To control everything it's going to cost you some bucks if you want any kind of real power. Forget the low end torque with this engine. The displacement just won't move any wieght like you want to pull. It's a complete waste of time. This is the reason I'm putting a 1UZ in mine right now. After this, all other Tacos will bow. Putting this 1UZ in my truck will probably cost less than the turbo setup that I wanted. If you are going to do it you might as well go big. The V6 is quick but the fuel consumption is HORRIBLE if you supercharge it. It sounds like you want some power to get around so the V6 just won't be exciting unless you turbo it. There are a few guys that have done a KILLER job adding turbos but they spend some good money in the process. It's too much money I think.

Get an older Cummins Dodge and enjoy the cheaper initial cost of the vehicle, better fuel economy, way more power, tons of torque for towing and much more room inside and in the back. You can use your turbo money and do some tuning with the Cummins turbo, get a bigger one or buy some off-road suspension and have a SWEET truck for what you want to do with it. Just some simple upgrades to the turbo or the management and the Cummins really comes alive.

BTW the turbo'd or supercharged V6 Tacos I've seen get 9-11mpg. Cummins turbo monster gets 18 towing-20 not -22 old man style driving. My dad has a 2000 Cummins Diesel kinda tricked out he uses for towing a huge 5th wheel.

Wow! Thanks for your advices, guys. I finally found someone driving what I've been looking for. If the V6 Tacoma with supercharger gets 9-11 mpg, then that's way out of any thoughts. That gas consumption sounds like a 500 hp sports car, and it doesn't make sense for a daily driving car. I might not get this 2.7 L Tacoma anymore, but if I'll do, I can turbocharge it mildly for cheap because I know what to do with it. It's only about $1K - $1.5K. I might look into the V6 only (not with supercharger) and maybe with a custom exhaust system and a true cold air intake for better towing over the hills. I can even save gas with the above 2 mods.

I have done a lot of TOyota mods for people and they never give you better fuel mileage. The engines from the factory are capable of more power from the factory but they put the restrictive exhaust and intake on them on purpose to give them better fuel consumption numbers. When you start letting them breath the computer will dump in more fuel to keep up with the added airflow. Even if you keep your foot out of the throttle you will will never get the stock mpg. The best way to get better mileage is to push in the clutch down hills and drive the speed limit or less.

I have been reading posts for YEARS about people wanting better economy in their Tacos and there is no answer. There are gimmicks like throttle body spacers and Tornado inserts which are all a joke. I studied Extrude honing but this does NOT work for economy, only for higher top end HP. The stock Tacoma engine is the best economy there is, period. It sucks but that's just the way physics works for a mass produced truck and is designed for profit and to meet EPA standards.

I am convinced I will get way better mpg with the 1UZ than what I get right now. The 2.7L is NOT that efficient for the power you get. I love the top end power I have but for trailers it's a curse. You will be shifting like crazy with the 2.7L normally and 2x as much when towing something. If that was a concern I would much rather pay a little more (in fuel costs) for the V6 and it's additional torque. The engine sounds horrible with any modified exhaust though!

Also the brakes on Tacomas are AWESOME. The fronts are much bigger than needed (same goes for the stock radiator). The rears are shoes and I ran the same set for more than 5 years and I drive the crap out of it on and off-road. I just changed them since I had the rear axle apart and they were only $14 for new ones.

sandview_sm.jpg

I'm thinking of buying a '2000 4 cylinders Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with auto tranny. The critical thing is I'd like to turbocharge it and add maybe another 70 hp so that I can tow like a V6. However, I don't know if its suspension and tranny can handle like a V6. Here're the specs between the 4 cylinders and 6 cylinders:

4 cylinders, 4x4 XtraCab ............................6 cylinders, 4x4 XtraCab

Curbweight: 3390 lbs ...................................Curbweight: 3455 lbs
Displacement: 2.7 Liters ...............................Displacement: 3.4 Liters
Towing Capacity: 3,500 lbs ..........................Towing Capacity: 5,000 lbs
Horsepower: 150 hp ....................................Horsepower: 190 hp

Besides the differences above, all other factors equal from wheelbase, length, height...etc.

If anyone has any ideas, I really appreciate it.

Why not just get a used Tacom?

hey man, i was looking at used dodge cummins, like 93, 94's on ebay for about 3,500 to 5,000 that get excellent fuel economy and power, most already have boost, exhaust temp gauges, and one even had an aftermarker turbine housing. If you want a turbo, great mileage, and power, this could be an alternative to a taco.

Smith,
I like your Tacoma a lot. That was the exact Tacoma that I had thought about. It's not too big like a Dodge Cumming, nor the Tundra, but it still can give proper style and performance. I had been boosting and tried all mods on Honda cars for 7 years and I found the hi-flow exhaust system and the true cold air intake really save gas and give more power (yes, release the restrictions just like you said), which are somewhat conflicting with your finding. For example, if a stock Honda gives 300 miles per tank, then with a cold air intake or an exhaust system, it can get about 330 - 340 miles per tank. I compared these numbers several times (same driving style and commuting areas) and found them to be consistent. Perhaps it is different with Toyota ECU setup.

Attachments

• SC400_LCD 039.jpg
    SC400_LCD 039.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1
  • SC400_LCD 038.jpg
    SC400_LCD 038.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 2
THx for the compliment. I'm just giving you the heads up. I've played with and worked on Tacomas enough to give a pretty strong opinion on the subject. Just grab a Tacoma and shove the 1UZ in there like I am. No screwing with turbos, awesome power (for a stock, smooth V8) and fuel economy to boot. You can buy a whole LS400 for $1,500 if you keep your eyes open and have the cash to wave in front of the sellers nose to let him know how nice it smells. :deal:

I've driven a couple LS400's and I'm going to buy a cheap one to use as a commuter or when I have the truck down to engineer the cage/suspension like I want.

The 4cyl lacks power/torque to pull and the 6cyl is just boring to drive and sounds horrible... V8 and the Taco will be a masterpiece. It sounds like you are a turbo man so I would say go for it. There is a guy roaming some forums from Washington who is making a killer kit for the V6 that is the same thing he has been running on his V6. It's pretty insane but will cost a couple grand in basic parts to start out with. This is awesome.

Then there is company that is selling a kit that located the turbo back behind your catalytic and runs a long a$$ tube back and forth for the intake. The seller swears it's a durable system and super easy to install. That might be right up your alley.

Btw here is a short clip of my truck hitting the rev limiter and me holding it there out of frustration. I do this about every other day. :saevilw: Limiter Testing

Hey it's almost Friday! :friday:

Smith,

I like your Tacoma even more after watching it run through the dirt wildly. :Eyecrazy: The link to the other Tacoma forum with the turbo is awesome. The turbo in that Tac is beautiful. But if I do the turbo with the intercooler, I'll run the intercooler in the front bumper instead inside the engine. I guess that Tac owner wants to keep the intercooler away from rocks & chips. Many thanks, Smith. I know it's Friday so Cheers!!!!!! I still got 1/2 box of the Buds to go with.

Yeah I can't wait to get more done on my truck. I have some pretty big plans and it's just a matter of having more free time to work on it. A lot of things I'm building are dependant on each other so I have to work on more than one aspect of the truck before I can put the finishing touches on it. I'll definitely be taking advantage of the three day weekend to get some things done with the engine!

About that turbo link... you need to do a turbo just like his... with the intercooler wherever you want. That kid is REALLY good at tuning. If I were you I would buy his kit for the truck you buy. He's doing more work on his setup than anyone else I've seen plus he's been putting out some huge numbers while keeping the engine very safe in the fuel department. :tongue2: I like his work. He's not out to make a million either so he definitely wants some customers to get him started in his business venture. He's putting in some major amounts of time to make sure the kit is perfect and he has a LOT of experience. The kit will be a 2-3 grand but his work experience will garauntee that it will work correctly the first time and save you lots of headaches. That turbo system would destroy the supercharger. Plus it's more efficient and easier on your engine.

Shake and Bake.

No kidding! Come on someone!! Make us a kit:arms:
How hard could it be to put together a mild turbo kit that would work for all the older 400's???

:Thinkingof_:

If anyone has a concrete lead on this topic or info on a kit lemme know.

I actually bought a turbo, not a kit, for my SC400 already. I also got the electric fans, the thermo switches, and some of the parts for the fan swap. I'll need to collect a few more parts before I can start the fan swap. The stock hydro fan has to go and leave room for the turbo.

Lex - has a single turbo system on his LS400 which is simple. I saw it and viewed it for a while...Garret turbo, exhaust pipes that V out at the bottom, wrapped...I want it....Looks so simple yet makes 400whp out of the 1uz-fe motor with larger injectors..., It drives and boosts up nice too but shifts a little ruff with that shift kit of his... That would be the turbo setup I would want...Very nicely done...Single exhaust turbo located in place of the battery....Got to give perks to MR. LEXTREME....

The same application would work on the SC400's if you change out to electric fans and free up the space...I am considering that setup seriously in near future.....

When Jibbby give me the green light. I can make a simple single turbo for him. We will be using a GT35R. I can put it together in a day if materials and parts are all in.

Thaniks LEX, I will be hitting you up for that setup soon for sure, thanks for the consideration.......I think a prefab'd turbo kit like yours should be made in bulk to sell to the masses for the SC's, LS's, and GS400's......That would be awesome and a first......Anyway, just a thought for another fine LEXTREME product to be selling like crazy if the price would be reasonable.......

I know those Eaton superchargers are bank $$$$ coming out of Australia and are really the only option available for all the Lexus 400's. The Eaton's won't make nearly the HP's that the Garet Turb's produce, either.....Example - A guy on another forum just the other day paid like $5300 for Australian made Eaton Superccharger for is 95 SC4....and that is just for parts and shipping...WOW.........