Towing Capacity & Turbocharge

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
UZZ30-Québec said:
1UZ is not that torquey, compared to the 3UZ, only 300CC more, but 320lbs/ft of torque!!! @ only 3400RPM! that's 60lbs/ft more!!! or 23% more for only 7.5% more displacement
Is that the VVTI that's helping with those numbers?

jibbby said:
Quebec- thanks for the Deisel engine breakdown.. One last question before I drive Steve nuts with this Diesel talk on his thread...Quebec, besides the long bore stroke, what makes the deisel engine derive so much torque? Is it the slow burning fuel that creates the huge torque output to drive the 18 wheelers, construction machinery, etc... Why aren't the big liter sized gasoline type engines used in the big industrial vehicles and 18 wheelers? Do Diesel engines just simply last longer and is that the only reason why the are consistently used in big stuff? Longevity?..The big block gasoline engines can generate sick torque too...hhhmmmmmm? What's the deal?????.

You should do some research on the net about diesel engines, but the jist is. They use much less fuel than similiar sized, powered gasoline engines and can use turbo's to produce torque because of the lower temps of diesel vs. gas. Have you driven a diesel truck like a powerstroke etc. the low-end torque is monstorous and they can tow and get about 50% better mileage than a gas big-block which still has less torque. So a big block or v-10 might have high 300ft/lbs to lower-mid 400ft/lbs of toque max while the newest line of consumer diesels punch out 600+ ft/lbs of torque all lower in the rpm range,like 1,800 or 2,000rpm also aided by variable geometry turbos that they have b/c they work with the lower temp of diesels. Diesel also acts as a top-end lubricant therefore all your moving parts are being lubricated by the fuel making them last longer, i.e. piston rings etc. I think diesel is a slower longer burn therefore conducing itself to long stroke high torque engines, so when people need high torque for long periods of time, and they don't want to rev the crap out of the engine and use less fuel, and last longer, then diesel fills these industrial/commercial needs. Also if your in Europe, you'll notice almost every car/truck is diesel and these small turbo diesel cars are quick to drive b/c of the torque and use less fuel than our american gas 4 cylinder counter-parts, i've given serious thought to te jetta tdi as that's about the only comparable car we get over here. 50mpg highway, high 30's to low 40's city, and turbo torque. hard to beat

WDoherty is right, diesels engines produces a lot of torque because they run High displacement and tons of boost.

Take an old N/A diesel engine like the toyota 2L (am I right?) and compare it to a 22R. The torque output will be very close for both engine.

Long stroke doesn,t produce more torque, Long stroke just uses for a longer period of time the combustion, Long stroke improve efficiency. The Long stroke will help to have all your torque at a very low RPM. But a 4.0 liter engine with short stroke and another with a long stroke will produce the same torque. One will produce it at 3000RPM, the other at 5000.But the engine producing the torque at 3000RPM will burn less fuel than the other.

The big problem with newers diesels is the fuel. Producing Ultra-low sulfur fuel removes all the lubricating properties of the fuel, that's why today we see some problems with fuel pumps and injectors. Adding a cetane additive will restore your fuel lubricating properties and Reduce engine knocking. Actually, Cetane booster is the same as an octane booster for a gasoline engine.

My favorite diesel (well, i'd only like to own one) is the Cummins L6 in the dodge ram. Torque monster. Max torque available from 1600RPM to 3000RPM.

BTW, to return in the topic. If you add a low-lag turbocharger, and get full boost @ 2000RPM, the problem is that when you'll release the clutch, you won't have that boost.

For an automatic trans, build for a low-hp low-tq engine, it will tend to wear faster and get your oil very hot.

oh and for the truck, just go with the v-6. Nice, instant low-end torque, without the complications you'll experience with the budget turbo 4. I drove one of the new tundra's single cab, 2wd, manual, and that thing had no low-end with the vvt-i 2.7 compared to the older model v-6 without vvt-i in a heaver ext cab 4x4, go with the v-6 for towing, those things are plenty fast. And if you think you'll get better mpg towing with a turbo 4, i bet not especially requiring a richer ratio, even if, the difference will be negligable.

Deisel, received and understood fellas....Thanks... WD- I have driven the Power Stroke Deisel being a contractor by trade...and yes the torque is enormous...I wouldn't be suprised if those V10 duely's can pull a mountain....

The new powerstroke is even stronger. But far less reliable. Turbo and Head gasket problems. I don't know why but a bell is ringing 7M when i say this :p

Next time, try a new cummins. you'll fall in love. And the sound :drool: they are the only ones with a real truck sound! :drool:

i like the cummins much better, only thing around here is that people won't buy them because they the believe the dodge truck is not as tough, and granted these individuals buy f-450's and those things are solid, so weird hugh. Plus dodge doesn't make an f-450, 550 equivalent do they, like 19.5 in wheels, heavier frame, axles?

Diesels are awesome.
That's also having him signifigantly overbuy for what he's doing, and what he's looking for in a truck.

On a personal side note. Having lived on both sides of the fence:
What kills me, is people go on & on about MPG when it comes to D trucks. When it comes to pulling a bobcat, or towing something very heavy all the time. Yes, a diesel is much, much more economical than a big block v8 (or v10).
What I see far too often, is that people don't need the diesel, or big block power in the first place. A smaller v8 package would have been a better choice for them, and on top of that a D getting 19-20mpg on the highway IS NOT paying the 10-15,000 cost of up-trim VS getting 17mpg on a smaller v8.

When it comes to D VS big block. I'm all for it. They get about 5mpg right off the bat, and 7-10mpg more when you're towing a big load. (average for a triton v10 towing is about 7mpg VS 15mpg on a brand new D.) Please keep in mind the truck he's looking at. Many diesels he could afford at that price point are going to get well sub 20mpg on the highway to begin with.

I'm not ranting, but if yall want to talk about how awesome diesels are, we can start a new thread about them. But in my opinion, you guys are straying away from the discussion/price/what steve's actually looking for in his truck right now.

Just so you guys know the D-love I got some.

After reading you guys' posts, I'm starting to think about the V6's advantages over the 4 banger 2.7. And maybe later on, I might turbocharge that V6 Tacoma just like the TRD supercharge that V6 Tacoma. The problem is just room. The V6 doesn't seem to have enough room for a turbo.

As some of you have mentioned about the braking system and the suspension system, the 2.7 4 banger (3390 lbs) is only 65 lbs short of the V6 (3455 lbs). So I think with the near equal weight, the 2.7 should have similar, not to say the same braking & suspension systems as the V6 3.4. In fact, all Tacoma Prerunners (I4 and V6) have the same wheel base, height, lengths....etc. So are there any real differences when they have so many similarities?

Oh, I like the Diesel truck a lot, especially the new GMC 3500 with 6 wheels. I've seen its interior. It's so luxurious and comfortable. I like all about diesel truck, except its rumbling noise and the lacking of the diesel stations in the suburban areas.

Steve., you need to see what the towing and or hauling capacity is for both trucks, if both are rated as the same then you are looking at the same brakes and suspension...Weight of the car does not tell the whole story....If the V6 with the stronger is rated slightly higher for towing, then the suspension and brakes should be stronger in the V6... That is usually how it works....

Agreed.
My opinion, is that you can always tell even current models by looking at Toyota's past.m In almost every model (Even when not looking at trucks) with a 4 cyl, and a 6cyl. The 6cyl always has better calipers, bigger surfaces & thicker, larger rotors.
I spent alittle time looking at some things for you. This is the progression of Toyota truck engine power from '89+. What is going to greatly surprize you is the power the 2.7L i4 has, against the eldest of the truck v6's. The (dreaded) SOHC 3.0L 3vz-e.

22reVS2rzVS3rz.jpg

3vzeVS5vzfe.jpg

1gr.jpg

002uz.jpg

032uz.jpg

052uz.jpg

That 2.7L isn't drastically short on power. It's no less powerful than the eldest v6, and there are a good number of people running those. Aside from that. The new 4.0L 1GR-FE v6 is a complete brute of a v6.

Toysrme,
Many thanks for your time finding and loading up the photos. I know it would take quite sometimes. I'm not very familiar with the Toyota truck engine codes, except when it's stated in the hp and the displacement so I can somewhat link it to the specific models.

So do you guys think the V6 with a turbo can pull safely and stronger? I don't like the TRD supercharger much (I believe it's the Eaton M62, but I maybe wrong) because I heard some guys got their engines knocking and blowing the head gasket with the TRD supercharger. I don't know if they installed it wrong or it's the supercharger. However, since Toyota stands for the TRD, Toyota shouldn't have any bad designs that can ruin its reputation. Secondly is the price, I know I can always save at least 1/2 of the TRD price if I build the turbo system by myself.

Attachments

• HPIM0223.JPG
    HPIM0223.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 16
Hey Steve,

Seems like the goal you are aiming is to turbo something. Having a 4 banger is not enough. Having a V6 is not enough. I guess having a V8 is not enough. Boosting 6 psi is not enough. Why dont you buy a older truck like in the early 90s and swap it out with a V8 and twin turbo it. Strengthen the frame and towling attachments. You will save thousands and have a rocket with massive torque too.

David you may find this strange, but there are not many v8 swaps around in the earlier 4runner / taco's. I can think of just one lexus 1uz-fe offhand. :shrug: A new vvt-i 2uz-fe would be a really fun swap. Even without the turbos LoL!

The only common swaps would be swapping a 22r-e / 22r-te / 3vz-e to 5vz-fe, and all of that + 5vz-fe to 7m-gte.

Ya steeve, that 4.0L 1gr can pull a stump for a v6 & like the majority of Toyota's v6's, you can get 450+ out of it with a turbo. While I hate the 3.0L supercharger (It's an M45), the 3.4L 5vz-fe's supercharger is an M62. That's always a good option as well if you're looking at a 3.4L.
If you can't afford the newer engine, the 5vz-fe has always done well handling big power. Someone hit 550whp with a turbo a year, or two ago stock. Gadget has made a pair of 850whp built 5vz's. Since the beginning of this year Weasy (Sea2skytuning) is selling the new 272* cams. Which obviously opens up their shorter powerband.
The 1gr has a trd s/c in the pipes too.

The thing with the TRD supercharger is management. Toyota just never *got it*. It's a dire problem on the 3.0L 1mz-fe charger. It's a nusiance on the 3.4L 5vz-fe's.
From what I remember, '96+ 5vz-fe's are multi-layer steel head gaskets, so there is no gasket blowing issue. On the 5vz, adding management (piggyback & larger injectors, gadget's 7th injector kit, or piggyback + extra injector) to add fuel does give good gains. You can also then swap for the higher psi pulleys.

But ya, you're right. With used TRD S/C kits running around $1500 & another say $500 in management, you can turbo it & have alot more power.

Unlike nearly every other i4 truck option, If you wind up with a 2.7L 3rz-fe, it isn't going to kill you. Pair it with an automatic, it'll stall at 2400rpm, you'll never be the wiser.
That said, buy the 1gr-fe if possible. You'll never forgive yourself for not getting an engine with atleast 270ft-lb every time you get on the pedal.

Lextreme said:
Hey Steve,

Seems like the goal you are aiming is to turbo something. Having a 4 banger is not enough. Having a V6 is not enough. I guess having a V8 is not enough. Boosting 6 psi is not enough. Why dont you buy a older truck like in the early 90s and swap it out with a V8 and twin turbo it. Strengthen the frame and towling attachments. You will save thousands and have a rocket with massive torque too.
yeah it does sound like you just want to turbo something. If that is the case, then i'd go with the 4 cylinder as plumbing etc. will be much easier.

Hey Steve,

David,
The thing is I like the body style of the Tacoma 4 doors. But yes, boosting is enough. I'll research for more info. on the suspension and braking systems of the 4 banger to see if they're the same as the V6.

I got an idea Steve, lift your SC400 and swap in a AWD system..Install some 32" off road tires and then single turbo your 1uz-fe like David....Throw a tow hitch and you are good to go and pull...

Just kidding Steve...That would be too funny to look at.......:eek5:

Seriously Steve, you should consider an older Toyota landcruiser like mine, they are nice looking, roomy, extremely reliable and some what affordable AWD trucks....93 models and newer would be my choice and then turbo the six banger like Dusty did....Just something else to consider. You can pick up a nice 93-96 Cruiser for like $8,000 usd turbo it for $2,000 and then upgrade the braking later on if need be and you are set....