To turbo or to proceed with Natural Aspiration ????

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
If a quick well handling car is what u want go with the turbo sr20. It's easier to tune and can be modded to sick amounts of power. Now i know your taking ino consideration the weight but another thing you have to consider is engine placement. In the 240 the front of the engine sits right between the front wheels putting most of the engines weight between the four wheels. This helps maintain the neutral weight distribution. Now the 1uz will sit farther in front of these wheels and just adding weight to the rear won't compensate casue the weight is placed farther in front of the front wheels. This placement changes the cars center of gravity. In short, it won't handle as well. And you can easily make the sr20det motor to 375 rwhp and maintain daily drivability.

The LS1 rebuild issue has nothing to do with reliability. It has to do with the fact that the american's/canadians have trouble with building the engines within there tolerance levels.....

If you go to www.ls1.com.au you will find that most of the LS1's that get rebuilt are within 40,000kms. So basically if you get a shitly built LS1 u will need to rebuild it.

Its not a reliability issue in that nothing is actually being broken by abuse (the engine is not letting go) its simply a matter of the engine being poorly put together in the first place.

Engine placement can be modified by cutting and moving back the firewall. I may be wrong but I thought that the sr20 would be as long or longer than the 1uzfe, not to mention being about as heavy.

volvoguy said:
Engine placement can be modified by cutting and moving back the firewall. I may be wrong but I thought that the sr20 would be as long or longer than the 1uzfe, not to mention being about as heavy.
There isn't much room between the dash and wall to effectively move it back. And the uz is larger. I've sat my car side by side with my friends 240. The uz is a lot larger. And the 20 is lighter, not by too much but thats becasue of the sr20's block needing enough material to stay strong under boost. Moving the firewall and shifting the engine would not be cost effective. U would get a lot more performance and power by placing that money into moddding the sr.

volvoguy said:
Engine placement can be modified by cutting and moving back the firewall.

hey let's cut the chassis and relocate the seatbelt anchors while we're at it, that way it can be classed as a full ICV...

no engineer will certify a moved firewall. cut, yes - but moving it back presents A LOT of torsional body change.

Are you suggesting cutting the firewall and leaving an open gap between the cabin and engine bay? Maybe I should have said cut and patch the firewall. If you are going thru the trouble of dropping an engine never made for the car you are putting it in, why wouldnt you spend the time to adjust the engine placement.

volvoguy said:
Are you suggesting cutting the firewall and leaving an open gap between the cabin and engine bay? Maybe I should have said cut and patch the firewall. If you are going thru the trouble of dropping an engine never made for the car you are putting it in, why wouldnt you spend the time to adjust the engine placement.

don't be stupid, or course i'm not suggesting that.

there's a lot more involved than "just" moving the firewall back - heater cores, pedal assemblies, wiper motors and linkages, wiring looms, consoles, dashboard mods and glovebox shortening are just a few of the things that come to mind. each car will be different of course, but to move an engine back takes a lot of time and effort that, for a street car, just isn't worth the effort IMO.

my engine sits reasonably far back, and being 4cyl long instead of six means the weight distribution is a pretty near on 50/50. i haven't touched the firewall or gearbox tunnel at all, and in someting like a 200SX i doubt you would have to either.

that's prob my point...why do it if you don't HAVE to?

Sr20det's are great little motors.. i should know.. i've owned a few... drawback? not very reliable... (i hate hydraulic lifters) but yeah, you can get oodles of power from it with minimal mods...

as for weight, the uz is heaps heavier... ive picked up sr20's (without ancillaries and manigfolds) before, but i know i wont even bother with the 1uz.....

as for the conversion, why not do a 1uz s14? there's been a few v8's in s series nissans before... mainly vh42 and vh45's (nissan's equivalent of our 1uz) and they all went like a bat outta hell. handled nice too.

R-Jay said:
Sr20det's are great little motors.. i should know.. i've owned a few... drawback? not very reliable... (i hate hydraulic lifters)

Have you considered converting to a solid lifter?
or installing a "Lash killer kit" (japanese name not mine) not sure if that is a solid lifter conversion or if its a method of stopping lifters from floating
Also isnt the GTIR motor solid lifter?

Logan

yep.. when i owned my old 180sx' i thought about converting to solid lifters.. but figured, heck.. im done with 4 bangers.. time to move up a notch and ended up with my mk4... now i want an 8 banger...

as for n14 gtir's... yeah they're the only sr20 motors to come with solid lifters... though im thinking the super rare sr20ve/vet variants might have had them too... but because they're so rare, not much info on them....

btw, i reckon it's shameful there were sr20 variants that actually outpower the 1uz in stock form even.... tsk tsk toyota.

Ive heard of SR20VE's but not VET's
Theres a member of a local car club just done a swap with an SR20VE into somthing Nissan and not very exciting or relevant to this lextreme site ;-)

Logan

hehe, yeah not relevant, but it came up anyways.

VE's came in certain japspec SSS pulsars... they're basically vtec (variable valve timing with lift)... VET's came only in the japspec xtrail GT.. now this is the most impressive 2l 4 banger i have ever seen...

2 litre, 4 cylinder, turbo with variable valve timing and lift... basically it's like a type R engine with a turbo bolted to it from the factory. makes 206kw (280hp)...

funny thing is, it only ever came in the X-trail... which isnt a sports car really... though it is rumoured to be the powerplant for the S16 if it ever gets produced.

but anyways.... gimme a 1uz anyday hehe.. with 2 turbo's and fries please.