supra 5 speed ?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

mates

hey guys , well a while back i bought a 1uz off someone who was doing a conversion intoa hilux he had bought the 5 speed conversion kit from castlemaine rod shop , i jsut want to know what part number the gearbox is and what year supra its out of! i know a few may bolt up and the kit did include the bellhousing but the documentaion only specifies supra 5 speed nothing more.

which is best and where is best to get one from im ona tight budget for this project as well so price is a big factor.

thanks guys hope u can help !

Itll be a W58.
They came out in early 80's Celicas and non-turbo Supras.
Try and get a later W58 from a Supra, it should have the larger input shaft bearings.

BTW... CRS sells recon W58s with stronger input shaft bearings for ~$800 (well that was the price a few months ago).

Actually the R154 tranny is better...... This is the MKIII supra turbo tranny........ this is your best bet :)

Dan

YZFR1 said:
Actually the R154 tranny is better...... This is the MKIII supra turbo tranny........ this is your best bet
Yeh, the R154 is better, but he was asking what gearbox the kit is for... its the W58.
The R154 wont bolt onto a bellhousing made for a W58.

The R154 tranny is a stronger unit, but the W58 shifts a lot better. The W58 is by no means a weak tranny. It comes down to shifting habbits. I have personally layed down 426 RWHP and 432 RWTQ through a W58 with no problems. This is with a later unit with the bigger input bearing and a when I rebuilt it, I put a new input shaft in it that I had cryogenicly processed. I know that it will hold quite a bit more too. The shock load from hard clutch ingaugement is what breaks the input shafts, which I have personally done to an R154 in a car that was only making around 375 RWHP and TQ. Just make sure that you always use a sprung hub disc and be smooth with clutch ingaugements.

thanks a lot guys so il get looking for a W58 box then , handy to know aobut the other box's as well for the future.

any places in sydney have many of these at a good price that you may know of ?? kinda lsot a lot of money due toa c ar accident on the weekend so my project budget is lower than planned dammit .

There are lots to choose from in the W5x range.

Steel plate, alloy plate, W55, W57, W58. The W56 and W59 exist too, but they were in commerical vehicles, and the ratios wouldnt suit.

The W55, W57 and pre 1987 W58 all run an alloy sandwich plate.
The post 1987 W58 runs a steel sandwich plate, and has larger bearings (thus would be a bit stronger).

W55's were in celica's
W57's were in celica's, and some import mk2 supra's
W58's were in celica's, local supra's, soarers.

Private wreck would be the best place to get one. W55's and W57's go for as low as $50.
Steel plate W58's go for as much at $500

Internally the ratio's are the same in W57 and W58, except the W58 cruises in 5th at a lower gear.
The W55 1st and 2nd will rev 10% higher than W57, but 3rd 4th and 5th are aobut the same.

One thing I've wondered about when looking at posts on toymods.org, is the selling price of R154's and W58's? Even after the exchange rate they seem to be really expensive down under. What gives? Everything else seems reasonably priced in comparison.

I just saw a R154 under a supra at the JY last week. I see W58's all the time. I think I could pick the up the 154 for $50 at the half price sale.

We ought to reach out to our Aussie neighbors and send them a sea train.

The R154 was only realised in the 7MGTE MA70 here.
And 90% of MA70's were either non-turbo, or auto.
So R154's are quite a rare commodity.

And yes, its tempting to get 10 R154's put in a crate and shipped over.
Even if it cost $5000AUD total it would still be a bargain.

The problem is finding $5000 spare to do it with.

Any easy way to identify from the outside a later W58 that's out of the car, when the person selling the transmission doesn't know what it came out of? I'm looking at a pair of them, one has a short tailshaft housing, one has a long tailshaft housing, but I don't know what to look for to get the later W58.

If unmodded, JZA80 Supra W58's will have the top shifter housing.
All other W58's will have a version of the lower one

medium_Trans5.jpg

I'm not familiar whith the other Toyota trans, either. I'm just trying to figure where it's going to come up in the Comet. If it's under the dash or back under the center console between the seats...

I,ve picked up a W55 BOX Cheap, is there much difference in strenght between the W58 and the 55 or is the only difference the ratios? Anyone got a part # for the bigger bearing for the front of them? Mine is a HR8307NX, could it already be the bigger one?

Whats it going in? and how do you plan to drive it?

I used an alloy plate W57 in a 1500kg car, 240rwhp 1UZ for 9 months.
Thrashed it all the time, but I know how to treat a box nice.

We've got a Mk2 capri, A mate of mine owns it, But we share the driving cause I do most of the work on it. My mate Jas Has a bung Rt leg, so I set the clutch up with a Air ram & we run a dive bottle behind the seat. I set the pedal box up so the gas pedal can be swaped with the clutch pedal when he drives. It works fine with the std set we are running, so it should be OK with the W55 behind a 1uz. We had a couple of hard shifts to start with but once we set the air toggle switch with the right pressure and exhurst exit speed it was cool. I even use it more then the clutch pedal. Its not a competitive car just a bit of fun but we still want reliablity. We had throught about using the tiptronic Control I brought off Kdog but had my douts about the O/D (4th) Whats your throughts