Solid works or Acad gurus

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lambo

Hi guys maybe someone can help me.
I am trying to change some SW files of a space frame chassis for my project, the original files were in dfx format and were imported into SW for me, they were in inches, a friend converted them to metric and he said he unlocked the layers for me, unfortunatley i have lost his email address so can not go back to him.
The original drawings had a row of tabs at the bottom of the page, now they have 1 tab called model and all the drawings are on one page, i would prefer them on separate pages/tabs,the original dfx files imported into sw show layers 12 of them, as follows 0,background,s-frame,t-frame,defpoints,dim,trace,b-frame,f-frame,rahmen025,window and dims, i am unable to change any dimensions and get an error message, as attached below, i suspect something somewhere is preventing me from changing them, but as a beginner i really have no idea where that could be, i have spent 12 months trying to change these plans,if i draw a new line somewhere next to the drawing and dimension it the dimension text is unreadable, if i draw a completly new drawing and do the same the text is smaller than what i want but is readable, am running out of ideas,the files are not large i could send them over if someone could help me resolve this.I have them in the original DFX format or SW but only have SW on my computer ,my email is [email protected], the only other thought i have is to redraw the whole thing from scratch with the changes i want, and then try to create a new bom,the original BOM was rubbish and not accurate enough to start cutting steel from, but for beginner like me it would take months, if not years, if anyone has 1/2 an hour spare to have a look for me i would be most grateful.
Best Regards
Graeme

Lambo,

Do you mean .DXF format??? How many dimensions are there?? If there isn't a whole lot of work you could send it to me and I import into UG and dimension it for you fairly quickly. I would make it multiple files though so you wouldn't have to deal with layers and what not. I don't know a whole lot about SW or autocad programs but I might be able to help you out.
My e-mail is [email protected]. I can look at it for you and maybe I will be able to help you out.

Jason

Thanks for the reply, I have been informed by one much more knowlegable than me that, it will be a complete redraw, so i have decided to learn SW or something similar, and redraw the whole thing from scratch, i think this will be quicker than trying to resolve all the errors in the files i have, thanks for the offer, but from what i have learnt in the last few days you seriously need to know these products well to be able to resolve the errors.And i am being adviced to use the drawings i have as a guide and start again.

Best regards
lambo

okay, sounds like the best solution. Learning something from it will help you in the long run.... Even if it does take some time.....

Jason

Lambo, I am not as familiar with SW and I am Acad, but it does sound like the info that you have been given is correct. It is probably best to draw it from scratch. Importing and Exporting does tend to easily cause problem and errors with the slightest mistake where as if working with or on the original, mistakes are easily fixed or corrercted.

Best of luck to you.

Chris

Lambo,

Do you have your own verison of SolidWorks (licensed that is)??? We just tested a free version of it at work about a month ago and I wasn't completely impressed. Do you like using SW in relation to something like CATIA or NX???
I guess maybe I have become so accustom to NX that switching to anything else wouldn't seem right. Let me know how you like it???

flick it thru to me on

bluecard at aapt dot net dot au

and i will fix the layer shite for you and send it back exploded so you can modify it - that is, if it's a version i can open.