Solid or Simi Solid Engine Mounts

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
Got a set of PU bushing but it was too big so I just got a set slightly smaller and sleeve arrived today. Cutting the sleeve tonight and post some pictures tomorrow.

The Toyota OEM mounts for the 1UZ break everytime you take out the engine, even if they're new. I believe they start to tear when the engine is tilted before being lifted.

I have been very busy and unable to do anything for the past few weeks. I am heading out of town for a week and that wont help much either.

I have solid mounts in my supra, and I really don't mind the vibration in them. Is there anyway you could produce a solid set of mounts?

ihiryu

Can you describe the the feeling before/after with solid mounts? I would rather save a few HP by stiffening the engine. Can you feel the vibration at idle? I mean if you feel 10% w/ stock rubber and maybe 25% with solid... I think I can live with that.

Attachments

• virus 3 (Large).jpg
    virus 3 (Large).jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Unif-B Info (Large).jpg
    Unif-B Info (Large).jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 8
I would be cautious of using a true solid mount with no movement.

You'll tend to crack engine mounts, fatigue the chassis or even crack the mounting points out of the block.

This is why racers use engine plates. It distributes the loads across the front and rear of the engine rather than pulling on the sides of the engine.

When the chassis flexes it is trying to pull the sides out of the engine.

Something has to give and I don't think an alloy engine is as strong as a steel chassis.

My 2cents worth.

Talking about vibration. If you have a perfect idle, then you'll have some vibrations. But if you have a set of modified cams in there, the whole car will shake and rattle your butt, back, and b**bs at every second. I used to have an exhaust system that's mounted solidly to the chassis and it shook the car like crazy with all of the noises, although I have rubber engine mounts. It was worth a try to know it. I wouldn't use solid mounts in anyway, even for racing.

You should not use solid mounts unless your car is a full race car. Stronger bushing is what we need.

Sooo..... any updates?

I found the Megan mounts for pretty cheap but would rather see what you come up with. I'd also rather support this forum.

KC

Edit: my drive train moves around pretty significantly since putting in the IPT shift kit, I need something soon!

bumping this to the top, any updates ?
i want to replace my engine and transmission mounts, but dont wat to give Mr T the pleasure of raping my wallet !

A few options..
Fitting solid mounts or welding them solid with give some harmonics through body..
BUT not as bad as exhaust being solid mounded..
Don't solid mount the trans as any body twist can break housing..

Another option is to add another fastener on the left hand engine mount to hold it down.. Some use a modified seat belt ends and fit them to restrict engine lift on that side.. Being a fibre there's no vibration transmitted through body..

Another option is a mount a mid cross member under engine / transmission and add extra mounts .. This is usually done on all out race / drag cars...
Some race rules say you must have these to prevent engine or trans falling on ground IF trans breaks..

Imo adding extra support to the drivers side [left as sitting in drivers seat] is the best performance street option...

Having said that.. In many other brands of cars they often just weld the left mount solid... With hardly any difference.. You possibly couldn't tell unless you knew it was solid...

i dont really want to go completely solid, i noticed someone on here made mounts for the engine, and though about doing the same things myself, but if there is an option to buy at a reasonable price, id rather to that so i can focus my attention elsewhere

Here is what I made.

I used GM V8 engine mounts they were about $14 ea. Very firm mount, no body harmonics and cheap to replace if I ever break one which I doubt will ever happen. I don't have the part number but the mounts are very common here in Aus. Brackets were fabricated from flat bar.

Attachments

• IMGP1800.JPG
    IMGP1800.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 80
  • IMGP1801.JPG
    IMGP1801.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMGP1802.JPG
    IMGP1802.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 74
  • IMGP1803.JPG
    IMGP1803.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 72
il get some used sc400 mounts, then remake them in 5mm steel with a hard polybush insert, and probably do the same for the rear :)

Any other updates on this? Did Lextreme ever end up making and selling any poly mounts? I tore a driver side mount on the chumpcar racing SC400 I have. I'm debating just welding up my own solid mount, but don't know the angle between the studs.