Short runner manifold

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
entire rev range under boost?

That could be a key factor here.
Once under positive pressure, runner velocity is not as significant as it would be in a N/A set up.

I'd be really curious to see want happens with the manifold on a N/A car.

entire rev range under boost?

That could be a key factor here.
Once under positive pressure, runner velocity is not as significant as it would be in a N/A set up.

I'd be really curious to see want happens with the manifold on a N/A car.

Positive pressure or not makes no difference to harmonics and the differences in pressure differential are relative so i expect to see very similar gains (relative) for both FI and NA.

looks prommising Justen,

you're absolutly right about the harmonics etc etc, the term boost fixes flow is something thought up after consuming a dozen kegs of beer, methinks.

why would audi have spend most of their R&D in the intake manifolds and tubing paths in both the audi R8 multiple le-mans winner twin turbo, and aslo in their r10 Diesel.......

keyword in keeping an engine together is "efficiency",
if you make 500hp with 10psi and you neighbour can do the same on 8psi, your neighbours engine will surfive longer than yours, and I bet you he's done more intake thinking/tuning than boost tweaking. better millage to, and smoother lines on the dynograph.

ps Come one justin put her on a dyno,
PS what did you do with the clutch problem eventually?

Grtz Thomas

Too rioht Thomas...people don't seem to understand that 'boost' is on the same pressure continuum as the pressures NA engines see...they are just seeing a different part..... what we call boost is just pressures above sea level atm.

For example, boost starts earlier at higher altitudes as atm is lower. So, will a turbo induced 15psi (absolute) at 10,000ft behave any differently to the "NA" 15psi (1 atm) at sea level? :)

I just went with the evil triple plate clutch. Awesome once up and running and spins up like a bike engine :) It's settled down a little but still not streetable in traffic. I will try that UK mob you suggested once this one wears out....which will hopefully not be for a while

hmm eating through triple plate clutches seems like an expensive hobby!

with a little bit of luck I'll go to Gardner Douglass this week, I'll ask andy about the possibility's of a system.

Grtz Thomas

Hey justin, how much time is involed w/ this mod? i mean... if i took out upper/lower plenums and had the aluminum tubing on hand could I do this myself? i would tack in place and have my local guy to the tig work. Anyway i would be very interested since i have FI now. Any guesstamations on possible gains?

Still no dyno result...too busy and snapped another rear outer CV. Fixed the CV today so hope to run a new PB at the drags wed night...dyno to follow asap.

15hrs in this manifold, plus materials. Even a 'quick' job is pretty involved with 8 cylinders :)

Still no dyno but the drags turned up some promising results. No traction on the street tyres so best ET was a woeful 12.1.....60ft not even close to dipping under 2 secs BUT trap speed improved by 5mph to 125mph. With some grip this would improve again,, at a guess out to 128mph....this on 11psi so LESS boost than what i was running on the stock manifold at 12.5psi.

Bodes well for the top end gain....takes a fair bit of extra grunt to see a 8mph gain in trap speed :)

Considering offers :)

Still no dyno but the drags turned up some promising results. No traction on the street tyres so best ET was a woeful 12.1.....60ft not even close to dipping under 2 secs BUT trap speed improved by 5mph to 125mph. With some grip this would improve again,, at a guess out to 128mph....this on 11psi so LESS boost than what i was running on the stock manifold at 12.5psi.

Bodes well for the top end gain....takes a fair bit of extra grunt to see a 8mph gain in trap speed :)

Group Buy Time!!!

No chance John :) Far too time consuming. I have a guy doing some CAD design for me for a 'production' version but don't hold your breath as both he and i are swamped with other work at present.

I'm still keen to go with the VVTi setup so mixed enthusiasm to take this much further. Happy to sell or keep the one i'm currently running and there's the 2nd plate available for anyone who wants to try this themselves.....nothing particularly difficult,, just time consuming as alot of welding.

how much for the plate? Moving for college and will have extra time and no cash... would like a time consuming project. Could you provide some numbers for lengths etc? And any idea of shipping to the states?

Based on the trap speed gain i got at the drags it's a ballpark 100hp increase on 1.5 psi LESS boost :)

manifold is sold but will still try to get cat to dyno before i pull it off.

I still have another laser cut flange if someone wants to have a crack at this themselves?

Looking from outside.. It sounds like you need a two step or some kind of pre stage anti lag.. It sounds like it doesn't make good power till 3 rd gear.. Thats where you are loosing time.. In 60Ft ..
Have same issue with my manual turbo...
Pre- stage / anti lag whatever ??

You'll be able to control power and actually be easier on trans with more power.. Sounds awsome on top end ... Third gear on...

Nah not the case XR...it was all wheelspin :( Makes plenty power off the line and best 60ft has been a 1.7 (on street rubber). It's a very deceptive car and tall diff (2.92:1) makes it appear it's behaving quite sedately :)

With the Street ETs it'll do a 1.5 60ft easy...has pretty well full boost of the line and tall diff means engine loads up real quick :)

John, a lucky local based nearby in Syd.....soon to be a big single running in a SC400