New Turbo Design by Garrett

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

stevechumo

I've run into a couple of pictures of the new Garrett turbos. One is a electronically turbo and the other has the new vanes on the compressor blades. They all seem new to me. I guess I'm not updated. Does anyone have any ideas how they work or how efficient & good they are?

The first one uses an electric motor to spin the compressor up prior to exhaust energy taking over. Exhaust energy is still the main power. The electric boost will give better response.

The second uses variable angle blades to increase or decrease the net A/R ratio on the turbine assembly. Again, this gives good low speed response while allowing good high speed flow.

Like always... Garrett puts the interesting things on turbos so small noone will ever use them in the aftermarket!

As far as I've read about the turbo manufacturers, Garrette is really a king in turbo. Anyone can disagree with me because I've only used Garrette and nothing else. Although there're many other turbos out there such as KKK, HKS, Holset...etc, most car builders use Garrette instead. Garrette has many innovations, such as the ones above that surprise me.

VNT turbochargers could be used on aftermarket systems, but they'd need new kind of boost controllers that could control the variable a/r of the turbo (unless i missread and the VNT is mechanically controlled)

But I have no doubt that this year, or on the upcomming next year, a big company WILL provide a boost controller with possibility to control those kind of turbos.

BTW, i just learned that Garett was a sub company of Honeywell!

Attachments

• V8 truck 009 (3).jpg
    V8 truck 009 (3).jpg
    237.9 KB · Views: 44
  • V8 truck 102 (2).jpg
    V8 truck 102 (2).jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 49
  • V8 truck 096 (2).jpg
    V8 truck 096 (2).jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 67
The Garrett VNT turbos are only used on diesel at the moment due to the lower exhaust gas temps

The new Porsche 911 turbo which uses a Borg Warner VGT turbo made with very expensive steel in them to cope with the higher exhaust temp of a petrol engine.

The original Garrett VNT turbos are mechanically controlled with vacuum type diaphram where the new A(advanced)VNT are PMW controlled through an oil valve (just as the Toyota VVTi cams are controlled).

They make these turbos up to around a GT42 (or GT45 can't exactly remember) size so its not just for the small ones as was mentioned.

I have been very closely following these style of turbos for use on my UZ project for a while now!

Toyota use a variable type turbo on the 4 cylinder 1KD-FTE diesel. By looking at one the other day(work Hilux) it seems to have a PWM servo setup and a simple postion sensor(like on a throttle body) for postion feedback. The 1KZ-FTE has been around for around 5 years or so in Japan(Hilux Surf) and more recently is Oz. Certainly makes the Hilux feel like the engine is a big diesel 6.

As far as I've read about the turbo manufacturers, Garrette is really a king in turbo. Anyone can disagree with me because I've only used Garrette and nothing else. Although there're many other turbos out there such as KKK, HKS, Holset...etc, most car builders use Garrette instead. Garrette has many innovations, such as the ones above that surprise me.

Actually HKS is king of the turbos because they get the pick of the best turbos Garrett have to offer and rebadge them as HKS turbos. You can't buy the replacement parts for HKS turbos from Garrett either as their licensing agreement ensures that HKS get sole rights to the very best turbos Garrett have.

Actually HKS is king of the turbos because they get the pick of the best turbos Garrett have to offer and rebadge them as HKS turbos. You can't buy the replacement parts for HKS turbos from Garrett either as their licensing agreement ensures that HKS get sole rights to the very best turbos Garrett have.
That's interesting. No wonder you chose your username as HKS. I like the HKS too, but they're somewhat expensive.

LOL yeah my name may be a giveaway. I know a fair bit about HKS products you might say. HKS (aka Garretts best turbos) are very expensive indeed but you get what you pay for I spose and if you want the best turbo then there aren't any better than HKS turbos.

For instance HKS have a turbo called a GT2530. It is a Garrett turbo but the specs are different. Garrett also make a 2530. The parts are "not" interchangeable. If you break your HKS GT2530 you can't use the Garrett 2530 parts to replace what's inside the HKS turbo. Garrett will not sell you the parts for HKS turbos.

Same applies for the big singles like the HKS T51R Kai and SPL. Same again they are Garrett turbos and Garret also make a T51R but they are not the same. HKS got the best versions of all the turbos Garrett make.

Here is a vid to see these HKS GT2530's in action on the Mines R34 GTR Skyline. Notice the response and how quickly the car revs, watch the tacho!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8vAxzLApPs

nice video, both cars seemed to have excellent response and torque out of the curves, the supra looked like it was always on boost. I can't beleive how high the r34 revs, do that rev that high stock or is that car on a standalone?

Stock N1 R34 GTR's rev to 9,000 rpm. But did you see where the rev limit was actually set on the Mines GTR? 10,000rpm, using a stock motor.

The Mines R34 GTR is what we based my mates R32 GTR build on here in Oz, after watching that video. He came across a set of low k's HKS GT2530's, full kit including, HKS turbo manifolds, HKS dump pipes and adjustable wastegate actuators. The turbos were also HPC coated, as well as the manifolds and dump pipes.

Unlike the Mines car, his R32 GTR motor was fully rebuilt, using standard compression/bore size forgies that were cyro'ed and teflon coated skirts, factory prepped rods again cryo'ed, factory crank prepped and cryo'ed. Head was midly ported and polished, set of Tomei poncams 264's, stock valve springs. All run using an Apexi Power FC plug in standalone ECU. Tuned by Croydon's Racing development here in Oz the premier GTR tuners and tuners of GTR 700 (3rd fastest GTR in the world, fastest outside of Japan) Best hp the R32 made at the rear wheels was 672hp.

The goal as I said was to emulate the Mines car but try and go one better and break its 1/4 mile time of 10.6s on Street tyres, which was the world record for low mount GTR turbos. He did this running a best of 10.3s So it goes even better than that Mines R34 GTR. His GTR is an absolute weapon on the track and the street.

Here's another example of HKS turbos, this time their big twin GT3540's on the GTR 700 car I mentioned above. I know these cars aren't Lexus, 1uz's but its just to demonstrate how good the HKS turbos are. If you want big power think 1400hp+ out of your 1uz then these are the turbo's to get.
http://www.exvitermini.com/movies1104/GTR700-DragCombatFinal.avi (right click save target as)

POrsche uses an electronic controller made by Semiens to control the vane angle. It does not use oil pressure. The drawback to oil pressure is you can't get sufficent pressure at low rpm. With independent electronic control you can tweak the blades at idle if you set it up that way.