Twin Turbo Intercooler Design

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
That is a really nice IC they have on that turbo kit. IMO, that's the best turbo kit I have seen for the G35. It's very tempting to get, but I must concentrate on the Supra...

Neil,

W2A intercooler.

Do you want to get chucked out?

These guys are turbo fans which means their big FMIC people.

I agree the W2A would be more efficient and a smaller overall package.

But like you I'm a supercharger fan.

Hey Neil you sound like me. All go... no show.....

Attachments

• Resize of motorfront.JPG
    Resize of motorfront.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 727
  • Resize of motor.JPG
    Resize of motor.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 720
  • Resize of motor1.JPG
    Resize of motor1.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 709
  • Resize of sump1.JPG
    Resize of sump1.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 707
  • Resize of sump.JPG
    Resize of sump.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 701
Posted by BlownV8

Also, try to stay away from box style end tanks with very high boost ( i dont know how much you plan to run ) as the welds can blow out.

I doubt this would happen since the clamps/coupler connecting the intercooler and the piping would likely let loose before the welds. Besides the weld is generally stronger than the surrounding metal.

Also Corky Bell said that top to bottom is more efficient because the air spends less time in the intercooler thus having less pressure drop which is good.

Also your original design intercooler has worked fine on domestics that have been running them thus far. I would make the end tanks rounded rather than boxy style though just for flow reasons.

Perhaps you should contact Spearco regarding end tank design to see what they have to say regarding possible turbulence.

End tanks made from flat panel are prone to flexing with the rise and fall of pressure.

The flexing causes the welds to get sress fractures and fail.

Curved end tanks don't flex as much.

Flat panel end tanks should be of much heavier construction to last like a curved tank.

This is why your air compressor has a round tank and not a square one.

A good test of the above is to try and bend a piece of 1mm alloy plate with your hands. Very easy. Now try and bend a piece of 1mm wall thicknes pipe. Different storey.

I had an alloy fuel tank fail along the welds (twice in one event!) as there wasn't enough gussetting along the joints to protect the weld from the flexing as the fuel surged.

I've linked to ARE before in the thread about a2a vs w2a.... they really know their stuff and have proven it in 9sec (or was it 8sec???) evo's and such...

anyhow, i'm looking at using either an ARE w2a or a PWR w2a setup when i complete my engine conversion... plus i am a turbo guy too.... hehe... see? not all turbo guys are about show only.... that said, i drive a supra... which is showy enough, no need for huge fmic's up front to add to it.....

Neil,

We're winning those FMIC boys over. Hehe!

What did Mellisa Etheridge say? "Someone give me some water". See she knows what works!