MSD is dead

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

Lextreme II

Just call me "Lex"
For the past couple of days, my car was acting funny. In the morning, the car would have difficulty reving smooth. The take off was VERY sluggish. However, I can not reproduce the problem. I was thinking of fuel or ignition. However, from iginition I was thinking of wires and plugs. I would not thought of the MSD. Today the whole MSD system was completely dead. The car cranked and cranked but the engine would not start. I was about to give up, but i unplug the MSD 6AL and plug it back to stock (we made this way so just in case msd problem, we can just unplug and plug to get stock ignition system) The engine fired right up. I am not sure how much the msd was helping, but the car runs fine without it. I need to diagnose which msd or both msd is the problem. Perhaps its also cause by the msd modular. Anyway, problem solved and i think i might get rid of the msd system.

Why is this surprising? MSD - My Spark Disappeared.
They have always been and will always be poorly designed heaps of crap.

What boost are you running?
The stock ignition in proper condition will run a bit of boost no worries up to 8 or 9 psi shouldn't be a problem. The dual ignitors/dizzys provide plenty of time for the coils to charge at high revs where you will need the energy under boost.
If there's no problems stay with stock.

I am driving daily with 14.7 psi and the stock ignition felt the same as the MSD. I think i will stay with stock for now. The more parts, the more potential problems.

I believe heat is the main killer of MSD ignitions. Mount them as far away from heat sources (or an area where it gets some airflow) and they'll work great.
I've had a lot more problems with Crane ignitions than MSD...had a shelf full of burnt out HI-6's (do the still make them?)

David,
You had bad luck, bro. I've use several MSD boxes, wires, and coils before, but I never had any problem. Although the engine seems fine without the MSD, it's still not as efficient as with the MSD. If the MSD works fine, you can actually see the engine start a lot quicker even in the winter. Also, it burns cleaner in the combustion chamber. I've tried running boost with and without the MSD. The sparkplugs with the MSD always shows cleaner sign. It's not about power with the MSD, but I always felt the car a little more responsive with it. For your turbo, I think you should stay with the MSD. You're having too much air/fuel so you'll definitely need more sparks than usual.

The MSD people were very helpful to me all the time. They might still guarantee for your units. Here's the website: http://www.msdignition.com/1support.htm. To say the least, you can use other brands such as Crane, Mallory...etc.

Yeah I just wrote a letter of complaint to them. Hopefully they will replace my units. However, if not i would like to completely change out the ignition system.