MSD? or other?

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
cool, thanks red

Sideshow:
We all have to start someplace, we can't just know how to wire up a stand alone computer and tune it without starting on smaller things :)

sideshow said:
i dont understand why all the fussing around of msd adjusters or crane this and that

these days the price of aftermarket ecus are dirt cheap

if u cant afford 1000 bucks then you should not work on cars

i get sick of people ringing me asking me questions bout stupid conversions like a 4cyl nissan engine running on a ford 6 cyl ecu

for me i would rather spend money to get a good ecu rather than spend 50 hours tryin to stuff aorund on something that will only do half the job

atleast with an aftermarket u have full control not half

in the end its a cheaper alternative and u do it once and do it right

sory if i sound harsh but theres too many people out there tryin to do things in halves and at the end of the day they waste more time and money
I think you're missing the point of an MSD. Not only will it allow your EMS to control timing (assuming you're switching to a DIS setup), but it'll also produce a better spark.

better spark is really only needed when yr running hi boost

for the price of 2 msds which here could be over 500 dollars i recon u wont feel any difference in how the car drives

value for performance is nothing if the engine and ecu is std

what im gettin at in the end is best bang for yr money

and doin small things like this which can cost alot in the end will hsow u minimal horsepower gain

i have worked on rally cars and rac e cars for many years and i never do things by half

always use good gear and gear that will give u eiother good results in power or

long lasting performance

i just dont beleive in spending money on a std setup that will give u no gains

i know forums are a place where people get help instead of spending money for someone else to fix their car

but if u want to go fast u have to spend lots of money

i have looked at many ways to adjust timing on my 1uz and theres no easy way

theres no way i would go waste money on just an ignition setup for a std ecu

its like spending 600 bucks for 10 hp

why not spend 2000 bucks for 50 to 80 hp

1.) i do plan to turbo in the future.
2.) im buying one MSD unit for 365$, a fraction of the proposed cost

There is no doubt you sound like you know what your talking about and know what your doing when it comes to this stuff. But for my purpose, and most importantly, my experience, i feel more comfortable learning/going this way. You have to learn how to crawl before you walk, you know how it goes.

Thanks for your input, (all of you)
Nick

The MSD unit does not allow to advance timing, only to retard it. I think that for someone that does not need to retard ignition timing, an HKS DLI or MSD STACKER upgrade may be the way to go. It requires no wire cutting, and much easier to wire up than any capacitive discharge box that i know of.

rarson:

You can run 1 msd as well, but it will only give you half the output to the coils. Just wire the coils in serial.

Once can use a Fuel Air Spark eDist unit and dump the distributors. The eDist will drive most coils as well as smart coils. It works well with Denso "LS1" coils. It's got 8 channels and requires rpm and cam inputs.

is yr msd a single output or multi

for a 1uz u need a twin output cdi unit

in australia they sell for 400 plus dollars i think

i know jacobs sell a similar product and have seen it work with massive amount of spark

but anyway a normal msd 6al will not allow u timing adjustment

a basic msd will only give u more spark for 1 coil

so before ordering just make sure u get the right device

another thing to do is maybe try see what the timing is doin

why do u want to adjust the timing

it is super advanced most fo the time anyway

my std 1uz pings when hot because the ecu has 40 to 50 degrees timing at cruise

so i recon from past experience advancing the timing might not give u much more power

just remember these engines run perfect mixtures and timing

so if using std air flow
std exhaust
std ecu

i would say that u will prob gain fuk all

but anyway its my 2 cents worth

if i were u i would sit down see where u want to end up with the engine then work from there

because i think what u want to do u will not notice much exceot a lighter wallet hehehe

I am partialy sponsored, so i get discount, and dont worry, its a dual spark ignition module, its a DIS-2. And i want this unit for my nitrous. So when my window switch turns on the nitrous it will simotaniously give a signal to that MSD unit and will retard the timing to my specificaitons. So this is more or less just for my nitrous, but will help with a turbo in the future, and other obvious gains. Anyway i dont have stock intake or exhaust.