LX 5.0 Mustang vs SC400!!!!

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
To further this thread...I remember racing several stock 94-98 GT Ford Mustangs and lost every time years ago in my SC400 pre mods in stock form...Most disturbing to say the least at the time..

Because of those loses to those Ford GT Mustangs that is the main reason I began to modify my 1992 SC400... After the mods I ate those stock GT's for breakfast... Man that was a good feeling at the time.....

Then it was onto the newer Vette's...Never could take those bad boys, however I did tie a few but never took them...Even after the mods and nitrous... I broke my SC400 trying though...:drive:

i haved often feared that myself, i have a 92' with 1st stage mods:

ls brakes
P.I. dragon 3200 stall TC
custom bent borla exhaust
75 shot NX not tuned
short ram intake

wut did u do to beat the gt's

if i might ask a trade secret

-Knowledge

Sc400injen - that should be enough to take the older GT Mustangs for sure... The newer ones are quite fast though, you may just need to double your nitrous output to clearly take the New Mustang GT's... I don't think a 75hp shot, TC, and intake will get it done with a 92 SC4.....

You should upgrade your exhaust as that will make a big difference for you.. With stock exhaust, a 75 shot and a dragon TC you must really be spinning at launce without an LSD.. Yipes.. So in your best interst I would not even increase your nitrous output anymore but shoot for headers and some high flow cats... That will get your topend power going...

thanx jibby, yeah if i hit it right at the start my nitto's burn like theres no tomorrow.

i was thinkin bout the headers and a chip next but for now, just the lsd would increase my launch speed, then the headers (as i've seen the restrictiveness of the stock headers). chips would involve uncovering potential brittle wires :( but u never know.

preciate the response

also, if u don't mind sharin knowledge, i got an egr delete kit, but i've done some research about egr's. it puts inert gases to make the mixture right for the engine load, but also it's dirty and superheated. so i'm thinkin a chip before the egr delete to be able to adjust the a/f ratio,

wut u think about that, i'm thinkin thas the way to go

peace, knowledge, and prosperity to ya mane,

T

I don't think the chip would help much at all. I've tried several chips on other cars, but the power didn't seem to exist. The chips helped a little bit at first, not much, but then the ECU relearned it and put everything back as before. I wasted like almost a thousand $$ on those chips. I've done several researches from the most experienced tuners and none of them said the chips really make power. It's more of adverstisement. However, if you use the piggyback ECU to adjust the A/F ratio when the NOS kicks in, then that'll be different.

I agree with Steve, The Ecu piggy back and tune is the way to go as you can pick up as much as 20hp with some ECu piggy tunes with the SC400's.. However, with your nitrous you want to keep the car running a bit rich, fortunately the stock ECU already runs the car a bit rich so I don't think the piggy back ECU tune with nitrous is going to make a huge difference in the end for you... The main tuning effect of an ECU piggy-back is to get he 1uz-fe motor to run leaner to create more power, but with nitrous that is not a good idea as the mix should be rich when spraying....Although you can get away with it with just the 75 nitro shot as I ran my SC400 slightly lean with the ecu piggy back 100shot for years, and never blew my motor. I gained about 10hp with the piggy back ECU after the dyno and piggy tune..... So it's something to think about...Forget about the chip as it is a waste of money...

Your next mods should be your exhaust upgrades as the stock exhaust system and headers are very restrictive on the SC400's.. The stock headers really choke the car.....

preciate the knowledge yall. but from the headers i have chopped off the stock exhaust and put 2 Borla tubes and an H pipe(that wuz a long time ago)

did u see alot of difference with the headers and also does it require an egr delete or is the just optional with S&S headers?

SCexhaust.jpg

the apex i safc 2 is a piggyback right?
Yes, it is. You only use it to control bigger injectors to trim down their pulses from 0% up to 50%. It works according to the RPM. I used it a long time ago on Hondas and really forgot how adjust it. From what I heard, maybe not true, the SAFC II on the SC400 will automatically advance the timing, which is bad and lead to knocking.

I am running the Apexi Safc II now and it does not change the timing..Just the fuel mix... I originally got that piggy to enrichen the fuel mix to run a big nitro shot...Again tuning to run rich however will decrease power when not running on the juice... Like I said the piggy-back ECU's are very effective on non nitous run 1uz.. engines because you can tune them to run leaner safetly.. Going lean with nitrous you could destroy your engine... It's a catch 22...

If I personally were running a 75 shot of nitrous I would run the stock ECU settings and not even consider a piggy-back ECU as you just won't see much difference after the tune anyway if done right... Any tuner will should set it to run rich when using nitrous, it's that simple... Although you can tune it lean with a 75 shot and take a chance, I did for years but it's still not wise.....

Sc400ingine - If you are looking to run your car faster you should really consider fatter rear tires and an LSD... I am running a 1995 Supra tt LSD differential from an automatic Supra and it bolts right up, no changes needed.. 93-98 Supra automatics are an identical match to our SC400's.. Something to consider for better off the line traction with your nitrous...I found mine threw the junk yards for $300 if I remember correctly..

Hope that helps...

Oh, and SC400 aftermarket headers will make a noticeable difference in topend power. I do recommend headers if you have the cash.....15-20hp gain would be my guess... I kept my EGR intact with the S&S Headers but had to delete my cats, which killed my smog checks.... I also have the EGR delete kit but decided to not use it... The EGR really is not a problem as long as you seafoam your engine every couple of years... You won't gain any power by blocking your EGR...

how wide r u runnin, **** cuz i got 8.5" wide now, i'd love to get 10.5's but gotta find someone to buy my old rims.

thanx for the advice jibbby, yeah i wuz gonna jus go with the supra rear end, but didn't kno exactly if it matched up, i've heard it does but u know bout hear say. but that's wus up if u did it too.

headers will b later when i wanna replace mounts cuz u gotta lift the engine or drop the tranny. jus a lil bit o' work

preciate the advice jibby and stevechumo

one

-T

I am riding on 10.5 rims on the rears... I think some have squeezed 11's in the rear wheel wells on the SC4's but I didn't try that as it was super tight with my 10.5's...

Combined with soft rubber rears I had great launches with the 150 shot flowing... Neck jerking infact and the front would lift a bit too at launch... Fun stuff at the time.. Alot of rear wheel spin threw the first two gears though.... I also snapped a drive shaft, worked over a rear spindle, and blew 2 trannies with that flowing... Two much power and grip from launch with the torque converter upgrade, 150 nos and LSD combination.....

I eventually had to reduce my shot to a 100 just to keep the car together.... The SC400 does have it's limitations in some areas as I found out the hard way..

I don't have a current pic showing the true rim and tire size but this is as good a pic as I have... Those are older hard rubber tires I had on in this pic...

thas why i'm tryin to keep the nitrous to 75, i want to so bad jus go to a 150 but then u gotta go colder plugs and advance the timing.

i bet the 10.5's and the lsd w good rubber was neck jerkin fun thas basically wut i'm goin for now. anything more can get pretty expensive when ur tryin to invest in houses and ****, but i have alot of plans for this car ......
i'll definately post when i do but it'll be a minute

I am running on the cooler running autolite spark plugs now but I never advanced the timing with the big shots... I did get some pinging noise on occasion at very high rpms but was no big deal.....

If you went to 100-150 shot you would need a progressive nitrous shot because there is no way your current tractions setup could handle any more output... You would just spin and go nowhere with anything over a 100 shot.. I know this because I've been there with my sc400 years ago as I use to run 8.5's sized rims and tires too on the rears and an open end stock differential.. It was a joke with the bigger nos shots and very counter productive..... (I even put 500lbs of sand bags in the trunk to get the rears sticking with the 8.5's, as I found out that was a big mistake as I broke the rear spindle trying the extra rear weight at launch back in the day)

If I were you I would shoot for better traction and the exhaust upgrades first before trying to increase the nitro shot or go progressive..

I guess you can always active the nitrous from a roll though.. Your first gear will be decent enough with the torque converter change... It becomes a timing thing with anything over a 100 shot from my experiences...

yeah i been thinkin bout it alot lately and i'm gonna go with the 93-98 auto tt supra diff and 10.5's before even the headers. but yeah power's no goods unless u can put it to the road,

The Headers will help your topend power for sure and take away abit of your lowend torque which will give you more traction at lauch with you current setup...

Did you delete or go with high flowing cats yet? I know you did the X and Borla exhaust but with the 3 stock cats intact you will have exhaust restriction... You may chose to get the headers last because they are bank... Infact I am not so sure it is worth the money unless you get a good deal....I would rather put that $800 or so towards boost personally....Something to think about..

I would work on those rear tires as it will look better and grip better then maybe the LSD....It's a double win with fat rears.....