Individual Throttle Bodies for FI

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.

LTLRKT

I just had the idea of ITB as we are making a completly custom intake for the turbo setup. So have 8 ITB with bellmouths enclosed by a large plenum chamber, instead of a large single TB...

Any thoughts on this from any one? Anybody running ITB's on the 1uzfe?

Riste.

LTLRKT said:
I just had the idea of ITB as we are making a completly custom intake for the turbo setup. So have 8 ITB with bellmouths enclosed by a large plenum chamber, instead of a large single TB...

Any thoughts on this from any one? Anybody running ITB's on the 1uzfe?

Riste.
Ring Kerry Mitchell on 0417 516 997. He is also in Melbourne Australia and just happens to have a full set of throttle bodies and trumpets surplus to his requirements. Obviously you will need to manufacture your own plenum chamber to encase them but the hard work's already done.

The set-up you describe would put the t/b's after the blower, is that right?

If you put them in front of the blower theres no point as you would be feeding the airflow through 8 itb/s then one compressor then back to 8 manifold runners.

Assuming you put them after the super/turbocharge there could be a nominal increase in performance I couldn't see it being worth it.

Would you house the ITB's inside the plenum of have the plenum on top of the itb's. If the itb/s are inside the plenum you'll find them impossible (or near enough) to adjust/work on whilst if on top it will be very hard to mount solidly plus how would you hang the blower off it? If running a turbo the mounting is a little easier.

Remember you need to seal the plenum to all 8 itb/s well enough that they do't leak under 15lb of boost.

Lastly as the itb's are after the blower when you tried to shut the throttle the pressure may try to keep it open.

Lastly think of the pressure waves inside the blower as you shut the throttle.

I've never seen or heard of the throttle being placed after a supercharger and probably for those reasons.

Zuffen said:
I've never seen or heard of the throttle being placed after a supercharger and probably for those reasons.

Go take a look at 95% of centrifugal blower setups or almost any EFI turbo setup - i can't think of any i have seen recently that are draw through, we have BOV's now so ur car can sneeze everytime you change gears :roll:

hi guys, i have had some experience with ITBs.. they were on a 4age that i had turboed.. they originally came on the engine which is the 1.6 20 valve.. these itbs can be had for reasonable dollars.. anyway, i had great success with the project.. with 4 additional injectors--using the original toyota ecu and a toyota ct26 turbo from a supra--the car ran a best mph of 118 in the quarter at 13.0 on street 185s in a front drive paseo..

anyway, they worked very well, and il post some pics of the 4 additional injectors plumbed in- and the fabrication in progress..
2 of these setups could work very well on a 1uz..

When I referred to no superchargers blowing thru a t/b I was referring to real superchargers.

A centrifugal is really a belt driven turbocharger.

I seriously think itb/s make a simple plumbing operation complex.

Zuffen:

The reason to use ITB is to get better drivabillity in off/on/off boost situations. The current crop of WRC rally cars is an good example.

Zuffen said:
The set-up you describe would put the t/b's after the blower, is that right?

If you put them in front of the blower theres no point as you would be feeding the airflow through 8 itb/s then one compressor then back to 8 manifold runners.

Assuming you put them after the super/turbocharge there could be a nominal increase in performance I couldn't see it being worth it.

Would you house the ITB's inside the plenum of have the plenum on top of the itb's. If the itb/s are inside the plenum you'll find them impossible (or near enough) to adjust/work on whilst if on top it will be very hard to mount solidly plus how would you hang the blower off it? If running a turbo the mounting is a little easier.

Remember you need to seal the plenum to all 8 itb/s well enough that they do't leak under 15lb of boost.

Lastly as the itb's are after the blower when you tried to shut the throttle the pressure may try to keep it open.

Lastly think of the pressure waves inside the blower as you shut the throttle.

Buddy,

What are you on about??? What blower? And Why on earth would you put a throttle body infront of any sort of Forced Induction Device????? How the hell is that ment to work? Put it inside the engine???? LoL

Also to thefastj. I was originally going for the bellmouthed runners and a single 115mm throttle. But i beleive you would get more "surface area" intake with eight 48mm throuttles, which to me means more air, faster, smoother - more power? More response?

Oh and thanks ozaristov300, will call him tomorrow!

LTLRKT,

Don't know why you would put a throttle body in front of a blower.

Must be all those photos I've seen of AA Fuel Dragsters, Eaton fed Holdens and every other Eaton, Whipple etc set up I've seen.

T/b's go after turbo's and centrifugal compressors (the same compressing principle) but always before positive displacemnet blowers.

Suggest you look at Gary Meyers twin blown Mustang. Throttle before the blower. Perhaps he put it there because he didn't know any better? He should have checked with you first.

Sorry, not having a go at anyone. Sorry pro240c & Zuffen. Text on the internet doesnt always come out the same way it was intended.

Just to clear something up - i never mentioned anything about a supercharger.

The car is going to be turbo'd.

Riste ;O)