Help with turbocharging my SC400 1UZ-FE

The 1UZFE EGR Delete Kit is available for sale here.
So does you fuel pump run all the time when the key is on now? Are you not worried about the safety issues of that?

Hi,
I guess that as long as the engine is on it's just like it was before. Plenty of other ppl did that mod without having any issues, what would the danger be?
I'm not really sure when the pump gets 12V, i did not check with a voltmeter, i assumed that this has been checked since it's an old mod.
/Mike

There was some discussion on that thread which suggests it is not a good idea to run the pump like this. It starts on the second page. The biggest concern is in the case of a crash the pump will continue running. In NZ this would make the car not pass Certifaction due to safety issues. Not a single car manufacturer runs their fuel pumps like this. It would be much better to install a second relay switched by the output of the fuel pump ECU to give full 12 volts to the pump or use a tachometric relay to switch the second relay. The benefit of a tachometric relay is it is possible to have a prestart prime. It would also allow a new better power supply which would reduce the load on the EFI relay. This could be beneficial when fitting a pump with greater amperage draw than the factory unit.

Fuel pump mod

I had problems with warm starts. My car would start and die after a few seconds. If i however gave it a few good pushes on the gas pedal, then it would work normally.
After the ECU-mod this problem went away, the car feels alert when accelerating and i listened carefully that the fuel pump will shut off after i switch off the ignition.
My only concern is whether the fuel pump will turn off in case of a collision, but that is a different story.
I had a BMW 745 and it had a crash sensor that activated battery terminal disconnect of alternator(with an explosive charge), fuel pump & starter from battery, it automatically unlocked doors and turned on hazard & interior lights.
This is however not a BMW :) It's a much better looking car:rolleyes:

I'll look into the second relay thing, it can't be that difficult to add.
/Mike

Last edited:
I still don't see a big need to bypass the fuel pump ECU. If it's bad, then get a good used one. lol.

True enough Steve, i guess i was in a hurry, then there's also the fact that it's very difficult getting any spare parts here in Sweden. Anyways, i'll be getting an Adaptronic or F-IC8 and it won't matter anymore.

I got my dual electric fans, they are 14":
14inch_fan.jpg

and a dual fan controller with the option of two different temperature settings:
fan_controller.jpg

I'll be doing some work this weekend i guess.

/Mike

OBD I to OBD II adapter

I bought this one from China, dunno if it's any good, haven't had a chance to test it yet.
I don't have any high hopes, however the spec. was: Toyota OBD I to OBD II adapter.
For a few bucks i reckoned it was worth a try.
obd1-obd2.jpg

/mike

New brake lines

Today I changed my brake lines to steel braided. Mine were 21 years old, they felt spongy and there was a clear improvement after the upgrade.
brake_lines.jpg

The rear brake lines were alright so it was no need to change them, i only changed the flexible hoses:

bromsslangar1.jpg

bromsslangar2.jpg

The front lines were corroded and there was a risk that they might break when unscrewed from the bracket. I had to manufacture new ones. I chose copper lines 3/16".The driver side was over 2 meter in length, while the passenger side was a lot shorter:
bromsslangar3.jpg

bromsslangar4.jpg

bromsslangar5.jpg

/Mike

Is copper legal ?? Id say copper- nickel is but most authorities cant tell the difference and ban the lot..
Copper can harden and break..

New stuff

This came in the mail today:
Battery terminal for the engine compartment when i relocate the battery
pluspol.jpg

Bushes for front control arms, just like OEM the only difference is the price, these cost 33£ from UK

bussning1.jpg

bussning2.jpg

Exhaust

Hi,
I just received my headers today and i have a question:
Which of these 2 setups is the most efficient?
exhaust1.jpg

exhaust2.jpg

Did i place the oxygen sensors and the wideband sensor correctly?

The 2nd setup is better with the X pipe for the V8, plus it has a cat for each bank. For the wideband, it should be before the cat. If it's behind the cat, it won't read correctly.

No difference mate really, if anything i would have said the 1st setup is better as it combines the X pipe and cats...it would come down to the x-sectional area of the cats and which option flows the best

That's what I meant, but the wideband should be a little further away from the o2 sensor. The point is it needs to receive the direct reading from the exhaust flow without any obstruction in front of it.

Update

Hi guys,
I bought the screws for the fishbracket today, they were quite expensive, 7/16" x 127mm
and i manufactured 6 spacers from some junk i had in my garage, i cut them to 110mm to begin with, they'll be adjusted later when everything is in place.
screws.jpg

I got some other goodies in the mail as well:
PCV Valve, the metal kind
pcv-valve.jpg

Intake pipe
intake.jpg

Mock up
kompressor2.jpg

kompressor3.jpg

I have otw some more silicone hoses and a V-band clamp 3" to see if it can replace silicone hoses where straight pipes meet each other. They cost an arm an a leg but they sure look cool.
v-band.jpg

I'll relocate the battery tomorrow, hope i got all the parts that i need, i bought 7 meters of 60mm2 battery cable.

Last edited: